Dead spots on CR200

• 14 November 2009
  • 312 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

312 replies

Hi all,

I have a bit of a strange error on my CR200. All of a sudden, I have had it for just over 2 years, the touch screen seems to have developed a fault.

The bottom right of the screen no longer responds to touch input - everything else works absolutely fine. It is limited to the bottom right as seen when I try to search for things, some of the keys work and the bottom right ones don't!

Can anyone offer any enlightenment as to what I can do?

Many thanks

James
Userlevel 2
My first CR200 developed this problem after about 3 months: it had two "dead" spots in the upper-right corner and middle of the screen. Reset and factory-reset did not fix the problem.

Sonos support was very cooperative when responding to my problem and shipping me a new controller.

Now, roughly 3 months later, the new controller is showing the same problem: a "dead" spot in the worst possible location, the bottom-middle where the "play/pause" button is located.

I suppose it's back to Sonos support to get a third controller. Based on my experience and others, it does seem that there is an inherent design or manufacturing flaw with the touchscreen. I am wondering if I can "downgrade" to a CR100...
Tingle,

Welcome to the forums.

I regret to say that you're not alone, and I've merged your post which those from the similarly afflicted. You'll need to contact Sonos Support.
Based on my experience and others, it does seem that there is an inherent design or manufacturing flaw with the touchscreen.

I hope not. Do you ever clean the screen with anything? Maybe the seals are less than perfect?
Should have searched better first, I didn't imagine it would be a widespread problem! Apologies.

I have just chatted with Sonos live support who have extended my warranty (it was 8 days out of date!) and are sending through RMA details.
Userlevel 2
Same problem here, the strip just above the Music Menu/Queue strip is not responding. It means I can't choose all zones, use the bottom row of the keyboard etc. Very annoying.

Similar timeframe too, I bought my system in early January.

For a component that costs €350, this is not really good enough and putting me off expanding.

Maybe it's time someone from Sonos responded?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Ratty, any idea what happens when your CR200 is well out of warranty? Got mine when they were first released but the dead area is now getting larger and less and less responsive.
Userlevel 2
I am wondering if I can "downgrade" to a CR100...

I know what you mean, but this is not the answer. If there is a problem with the CR200 then it needs to be fixed by Sonos and replaced where necessary.
Ratty, any idea what happens when your CR200 is well out of warranty?
Sonos probably treats these on a case-by-case basis. Give them a call.
Userlevel 2
I've jumped through the hoops - over the space of three or four updates - and my controller is being collected on Monday. There was no mention of a replacement being sent just it was going back for "repair/replacement". Anybody know how long I can expect to wait or should I demand a replacement now?
Userlevel 2
My case is that my 2009 CR200 costs a flat fee of $100 for a refurb unit plus I pay shipping both ways. I like the CR200 since it has one purpose and is faster than 'waiting' for the sonos app to load on other devices, but now I have to determine is speed worth $120.....
Userlevel 2
I started having problems at the top right hand corner of the cr200. Emailed support who quickly provided the rma details. A couple of days later and the problem had spread to virtually the whole screen, rendering the controller completely unusable.

I delivered the offending unit to UPS 2 weeks ago today and have heard nothing since. Emailed returns dept early Thursday morning and still nothing.

Not impressed with the poor build quality of such an expensive item or the response of the returns department. Shame as the cr200 is a pleasure to use - but it will be another Touch for me next time.
Userlevel 2
I bought 2 CR200 units initially. Both developed screen faults within the warranty period.

The 2 replacements have now developed the same faults - just outside the extended warranty period.

I think it is time to stop mucking about with ad-hoc replacement, Sonos' capacity for which can't be unlimited anyway.

It is clear from the longevity of the problem that this was not just a 'batch fault', even though it may have appeared so in its early years.

This product should have been sorted - if such were technically possible - or swiftly abandoned. If the latter, persons with units developing faults should have been given refunds, not offered replacements.

As I understand it, the legal position in Europe is that there is an expectation of life span for units of a given type, irrespective of manufacturer's warranty. It seems to be about 6 years for a product like this.

I think it may be worth my while pressing for refunds for the 2 units through the UK Small Claims Court. If I am successful, others may care to do the same.

Any thoughts?

Fraser
Anybody know how long I can expect to wait or should I demand a replacement now?

I may be wrong, but I think it depends on where you are. I think US customers can offer a credit card number as security, and will get a replacement controller sent out before they send theirs back. UK customers get an RMA number once they have exhausted all other possible remedies, and need to send their defective unit back before Sonos dispatches a replacement. Despite UPS execrable performance, turn-around can be quite quick - within the fortnight, I seem to remember.

I delivered the offending unit to UPS 2 weeks ago today and have heard nothing since. Emailed returns dept early Thursday morning and still nothing.

UPS seems to me to be the weakest link, at least if you are a UK customer. Worth tracking the prgress of your return via their website (if it works ;))

T
Userlevel 2
Badge
My CR200 has developed 2 faults. The first is the standard 'dead zone' in the bottom right hand corner.

The second is that every now and then, the controller loses all charge, even when in the cradle. It will often then not recharge for some days. After multiple reseating of the device, it eventually charges up and is ok for a few weeks, when it will happen again.

This is already a replacement for my original CR200 which had the same 'Dead Zone' problem. Sonos were brilliant and replaced the controller without any problems (beyond the 12 month warranty).

Hopefully they will do the same again.
Userlevel 2
UK customers get an RMA number once they have exhausted all other possible remedies, and need to send their defective unit back before Sonos dispatches a replacement.
T

Not quite right. I telephoned Sonos after I was given an RMA number via email and simply gave them my credit card number. They authorised a replacement straight away. I still used my defective controller until the new one arrived (about four days I think) and then used the packaging it came in to send my faulty CR200 back via UPS.

But I agree with others, this problem should not have happened considering the cost of the remote.

Perhaps someone from Sonos may like to comment - I understand they read these forums.
Userlevel 2
As I suggest above, getting a further replacement isn't the answer to anything. It is clear that these things have a fundamental flaw which is not batch-related.

Given that they are no longer being offered for direct sale, and that the replacements themselves fail, eventually Sonos will run out of replacements. There is nothing 'brilliant' about replacing a faulty unit with another which is hostage to the same fault.

You need to agitate for a refund and use the money to fund a couple of old smartphones to run the software.

Fraser
Userlevel 2
I just received my new CR200 yesterday, and so far it is working perfectly. I became aware of the touch screen problem last night when an acquaintance spoke of have two CR200 controllers that are experiencing misbehaving screens. This concerns me, and I will be watching my new CR200 for any signs of a malfunction. I had planned to sell my CR100, but now I think I should keep it for a while.
Userlevel 2
My replacement CR200 died recently. Contacted sonos, obtained RMA and replaced the unit. Brilliant service as usual.

Shame I can't say the same about the CR200 :rolleyes:

Out of interest, Sonos say they still make the CONTROL (CR200) although don't sell it now. I guess they are still expecting the return of a lot of duff units.
Badge
Add me to the list.....

Screen has got steadily worse over the last couple of weeks and is now very frustrating to use and I'm back to the CR100. I've emailed Sonos support.
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
John Lewis @ Bluewater had them for sale yesterday.
I am having the same problem and got an RMA number yesterday. Website saying that this was not available for my region though (UK). I will call again tomorrow 😢 to try and sort it out. The dead spot is in a very problematic area.

Mike
Userlevel 2
Badge
I'm on my 3rd controller in 2 years.

Both failures have been bottom right hand corner of screen. Sonos has dealt wonderfully with the replacements. No hassle, next day pick up from my house and delivery of a new one a few days later.

So, for now, I am happy. However, if it happens again, I will have to consider other options.
Userlevel 2
How long are you in the UK waiting for the controller to be returned? Been waiting over a week now with no update.

Still no reply from Sonos? Their support on twitter are ignoring me on the issue as well? Is it a conscious effort to ignore it and hope it will go away? For a €350 remote control, I expect better.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Sonos probably treats these on a case-by-case basis. Give them a call.

So the dead spot on my controller has got worse and now covers the play now and add to queue function making the controller useless.

I contacted SONOS and got a response from Gary Quinn asking me to remove the battery and replace it to see if that helped, if not they would process an IN WARRANTY RMA.

The battery thing worked until recently.

I contacted Gary again asking for the RMA but now they will not do it as IN WARRANTY eventhough I have an email stating they will. They want £100 now.

So by putting up with having to remove and replace the battery every week I have now got to pay £100!

Not impressed at all. I always held customer support in high regard unil now.