Control Sonos Volume from OS X Menu Bar

• 13 January 2014
  • 82 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

82 replies

Sonos asked its customers if this was a feature they would be interested in. You would have thought they had been aware of the intercept issue before asking. They should simply say it is not possible or prioritize this. I'm with you God!
Badge +1
I cant believe this thread has gone on for 4 pages of +1's and still after years Sonos is failing to make the basics.
I don't think Apple allows an intercept to that key/process in their OS. It's a base level command that affects system sounds as in addition to other audio.
Userlevel 5
Badge +6
I thought the API for Sonos was public ? Why haven't any enterprising startups released some decent small apps to fill these gaps?

Make them. Sell them on the Mac App Store for a few pound/dollars. Well worth a few hours coding.....
Badge +1
I second that notion. Unless Sonos gets it together and starts adding the basic of features I am no longer getting more Play 5s and just changing it all for the HomePod when that launches.

Edited by Max P: Due to profanity.
+1 Cmon. This should be a basic feature. With Apple HomePod coming soon, I am holding off on another pair of 5's unless the simplest of functions are installed.
Badge +1
How is something so simple like this not a feature? For as expensive as your system is I am having 2nd thoughts about recommending it to friends for not having such basics as a menu bar controller available. Its crucial for being able to work at home and being able to pause the music.

I could go on and on about how sucky your native app already is when it comes to the user interface. Im shocked there is no iTunes interface yet.
Badge +1
Absolutely - yes - in the absence of having native iTunes support! :8
This.
+1! Seams obvious 🙂
Userlevel 5
Badge +6
Absolutely - yes - in the absence of having native iTunes support! :8
+1 for controlling volume from keypad. It only takes 1 finger whereas sonos app requires 2!
+1. ALso, playlist folders
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
+1 for TouchBar support
Interested (+1)
Though I'd prefer it be something more like iTunes with Command Up/Dn arrows and Command L/R arrows for track. The space bar is already pause and start.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Not interested. I'd rather prefer to keep the volume control for Sonos and the system volume sound apart.
+1

We received a request for a new feature that would allow you to control the Sonos volume via the menu bar in OS X.

Let us know your thoughts on this and add a +1 if you'd like to see this feature on Sonos.
+1please
Yes +1 😳
Yes, please. +1
Very much +1.

The ability to control Sonos via the Spotify app is what finally made me buy Sonos speakers. Now, for Spotify, I am used to using the Mac's physical volume buttons. I do this easily 10+ times a day (at work, at home). But now when connected to Sonos, that doesn't work. The inconvenience really adds up quickly.
Badge
Well, this is a two year old thread but nevertheless, +1 on menu bar controls. And while we're at it, please add MacBook Pro Touch Bar controls too.
Dak

Can I suggest you reboot your iPad Air2? It sounds like there's something odd going on. I use 2 different iPad Air 2s to control my various speakers, and have not experienced this issue you're talking about at all. All buttons work both in the app, and on the lock screen.

If that doesn't clear up the issue, I'd recommend deleting the app completely, doing the hard reboot again, and then reinstalling it.
I'm on the latest iOS on an iPad Air 2 and only the forward and back buttons work – play/pause, mute and volume up and down do not work.

Is there a reason why only these two buttons work? Having control over the volume (mute being the most important) is critical without having to find your way back to the app to do this.

I understand that this thread was created to discuss this, but I can't find any SONOS moderators chirping in with comments since the thread started.

Wait... volume buttons (but not mute) work when the Sonos app is OPEN, however that function is eliminated the moment you step out of the app. Forward and back definitely work when not in the app.
I'm on the latest iOS on an iPad Air 2 and only the forward and back buttons work – play/pause, mute and volume up and down do not work.

Is there a reason why only these two buttons work? Having control over the volume (mute being the most important) is critical without having to find your way back to the app to do this.

I understand that this thread was created to discuss this, but I can't find any SONOS moderators chirping in with comments since the thread started.
Userlevel 2
As a new user, I can definitely say this would be an appreciated feature -- it seems like an obvious omission, which is why I went looking for a way to do it so quickly after getting my first Sonos gear.

All it would take is a small and separate menu bar applet with a volume slider, and 3 items on the menu -- Play/Pause, Next Track, Previous Track. Please consider this, as well as an official Apple Watch applet. The sonos app is fantastic, and it seems to me like the overlap between Sonos users and Apple Watch owners might be significant, considering the watch is an always-available remote control. I really loved using my Apple Watch to control my previous AirPlay speakers, and it's one of the more painful aspects of the transition.