Question

Chromecast in S2 / Honest timeline for Chromecast

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

Hmm, just remembered Youtube can’t play in the background without a premium subscription, so Chromecast holds a +1 there.

And you think using Chromecast would circumvent Google’s Terms of Service regarding Youtube?

Because Chromecast (unlike Airplay) is not sending the actual data stream from my phone to my Sonos system, rather providing the Sonos system with the information of where to fetch from - hence I can switch my phone off/quit the app - preserving battery.

On Android one is able to cast Google Play Music directly to Sonos using the built-in Chromecast extension as long as the Android device is online and connected to WiFi.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Of course, my 3 bullet points in the original post stand - if anyone has any info on those - appreciated.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I guess Airplay 2 kind of works, although if phone switches off, music ends. Also curious to see what happens if I leave my place - will it remain playing.

Because Chromecast (unlike Airplay) is not sending the actual data stream from my phone to my Sonos system, rather providing the Sonos system with the information of where to fetch from - hence I can switch my phone off/quit the app - preserving battery.

Can’t say if this works for Soundcloud as I don’t use it, but many service allow you to cast from their apps directly to Sonos.  Amazon, Pandora, and Spotify all do this.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Just tested another app and again was able to take a phone call whilst music played in the background. (feeling rather happy now lol)

Another question comes to mind then (maybe this isn’t the best forum to ask though) - is Airplay 2 really pulling from the source, or is this is a case of a long buffer being set somewhere?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hmm, just remembered Youtube can’t play in the background without a premium subscription, so Chromecast holds a +1 there.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Woooh - update!

I just tested, looks like Airplay 2 behaves differently. I’m playing a song on Soundcloud, Airplay2 from my iPhone, placed a phone call, been running fine now for 1min 46 seconds. (wonder how long the buffer is there? Or is it really pulling directly from the source)

Lets test Youtube now.

Userlevel 3
Badge

The rightsholder Google would be required to allow the integration, and work close with Sonos on it.

Why do you think Chromecast would not drain your phone’s battery? Trust me, it would.