Chromecast functionality

Show first post

164 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

In the process of getting rid of my Sonos speakers and replacing with Harman Kardon Citation series. Fully implemented Chromecast so I can add my choice of speakers to groups.

IMHO I think the HK Citation one sounds better than One-Play 1 and SL, cheeper and like I said they all work well with Chromecast, sick and tired of companies tying you into there own eco systems " YOU WILL USE OUR SPEAKERS HOW WE WANT YOU TOO"!.

I don’t know if this is the system, or if things have changed since this info was provided by Harmon Kardon, but It looks like the Citation is a closed system -not what you want? 

Mario at Customer Service

· a year ago  

It is true that WISA is a technology that can be shared, similar to Bluetooth or WiFi. However, the CITATION system is created as a closed system, meaning that the CITATION WISA system will only work with units in the CITATION family.

Ok, I'm no tech head. What I was trying to say is that my HK speakers can be incorporated into a group with all my other Google/Chromecast speakers,  which Sonos can't. And they also have Bluetooth.

I just got sonos move and google chromecast as presents. I have been using chromecast to play music on Spotify with Sonos. Is it possible to do the same with Netflix? 

Just got my first SONOS ONE. Very disappointed, I can’t do anything with my Android! Why not support Bluetooth if they refuse to integrate android cast? More functionalities are only available only for iOs, like the tuning on the space. Such a shame. 

Agree with all comments above. This is discrimination against Android users. If Sonos really wanted to support that, they would have, no matter the obstacles. They just dont care. I have found endless similar posts and requests on the internet.

I just purchased the Sonos 1 (Gen 2) assuming it’s compatible with Chromecast. 

I have a projector that has the new Chromecast TV plugged into it. The projector has a horrible sound so I used to have a Bose speaker connected to the projector via Chromecast TV. 

Chromecast TV has bluetooth integrated in it. Is there a way to connect the Sonos speaker to it and use it as an output for the sound?

Just got my first SONOS ONE. Very disappointed, I can’t do anything with my Android! Why not support Bluetooth if they refuse to integrate android cast? More functionalities are only available only for iOs, like the tuning on the space. Such a shame. 

Agree with all comments above. This is discrimination against Android users. If Sonos really wanted to support that, they would have, no matter the obstacles. They just dont care. I have found endless similar posts and requests on the internet.

I have no problem using my android phone to control my Sonos system, exactly as intended. I have no need for chromecast.

I have no problem using my android phone to control my Sonos system, exactly as intended. I have no need for chromecast.

Who asked? That is your experience and your needs. Why would you reply just that?

Do you recognize that there are many different users and requirements that dont match your own? Or you feel you are the only one that matters in this world? 

Tell me how to do that then, if you are so confident with your speakers.

•  I want to watch netflix app on my phone and have the sound on SONOS.
  • I want to listen to Google podcasts  with the sound on SONOS. 
  • I want to watch my camera videos with the sound on SONOS. 
  • I want to listen to whatsapp voicenotes with the sound on SONOS. 
  • MANY MORE 

Dont tell me to use different apps, please spare the suggestions. I am not going to change my preferred usage just because of SONOS limitations. 

Hi. Better not to ask the same question on two different threads. Please see response to this question on the other thread. 

Badge

I just got sonos move and google chromecast as presents. I have been using chromecast to play music on Spotify with Sonos. Is it possible to do the same with Netflix? 

Spotify doesn't use Chromecast to push music to other smart devices. It's a proprietary protocol. 

Sonos doesn't support Chromecast. 

Spotify doesn't use Chromecast to push music to other smart devices. It's a proprietary protocol. 

Indeed it doesn’t, but that may be irrelevant here.  My guess is that @Mar_Gut_Ort is using the Spotify app on a Chromecast HDMI device to play to a TV and hence to a Sonos HT device such as a Beam (and hence to other Sonos speakers if required.  As mentioned in your earlier post.

But (if correct) that still leaves me puzzled:

(a) Why @Mar_Gut_Ort isn’t just using the Spotify app on his phone to play Spotify

(b) What he means about Netflix.  Clearly any app on a Chromecast HDMI device can be played on the TV and hence through Sonos, so I wonder if io am misunderstanding the question?

it.

The biggest struggle I’ve found is the limited functionality of the S2 app in browsing my music collections across Google Music (now YouTube Music), Tidal, Spotify, and XM.I’d like to go into the native apps on my Android phone start my music, and then transfer the audio over to Sonos to continue playing it.

For Spotify and Tidal you already can.  For Google Play Music you could do so but that disappeared (possibly only temporarily) when Google replaced it by YTM.  In fact GPM was the first app from which you could cast to Sonos, although only from Android, not iOS (ironically, given your post).  Don’t know about XM.  Your profile also mentions Amazon Audiobooks and Amazon Music - both also castable to Sonos from the native apps

@Unmechanized  - your comments appear to show that you are unaware of many of the possibilities offered by Sonos.  If anyone needs to get down off their high horse, i suspect it is you.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Couldn’t you achieve this and emulate the functionality by adding and attaching a Chromecast Audio device to the input audio of a Sonos Play:5 speaker or Sonos Amp?

If you don’t already have one of these Sonos units though, it would obviously be an expensive addition buying one just to add Chromecast Audio functionality.

@Unmechanized - a further thought has been prompted by your post.  Maybe one reason Sonos hasn’t added Chromecast functionality is that Sonos realises that the users clamouring for it don’t know that they can do most of what they want already by other means, but just don’t realise it?

Indeed it doesn’t, but that may be irrelevant here.  My guess is that @Mar_Gut_Ort is using the Spotify app on a Chromecast HDMI device to play to a TV and hence to a Sonos HT device such as a Beam (and hence to other Sonos speakers if required.  As mentioned in your earlier post.

But (if correct) that still leaves me puzzled:

(a) Why @Mar_Gut_Ort isn’t just using the Spotify app on his phone to play Spotify

(b) What he means about Netflix.  Clearly any app on a Chromecast HDMI device can be played on the TV and hence through Sonos, so I wonder if io am misunderstanding the question?

Thanks for your replies. I’m new to all this, so I’m sorry if some of my questions make little sense. 

(a) I can use the Spotify app on my phone or on the Sonos move app, I was just trying to connect Sonos to my TV and tried with Spotify.

(b) For some reason, when I play the Netflix app on my Chromecast HDMI device it doesn’t sound through Sonos move.