Chromecast functionality

Show first post

164 replies

For me, I just want to add my Sonos Beam and two Play:1 to a group of speaker, to be able to cast audio on every speaker in my house (Multiple Google home mini, smart clock...).

I think that expecting lots of dissimilar devices from different manufacturers to work together in sync is rather naive.

I should have read more about that for sure.

Well, yes...

Maybe that's naive, but that's the whole point of supporting Google interface…

Well of course I should have read more, but that's not explicit, at all... And it should be.

fact is - sonos needs also chromecast support, otherwise it’s wasted money for the buck for most android users and we better switch to other brands

Sonos offers pretty much every major streaming services streamed directly without the use of chromecast, airplay, or any other mechanism in between.  They also offer Tune In and their own Sonos radio as a means of accessing hundreds (thousands?) of radio stations.  I think you might be overstating the necessity of chromecast support for android users.

Using a proprietary app as a front end is a really bad idea. I tried YouTube music today for instance, and while I can access the same material the user interface is poor in comparison. Also, how will they be able to keep up with all new features etc long term? I also tried with YouTube but that obviously didnt work. Adding Chromecast would be a much nicer and long term solution, as we can use the apps we already have and like.

YouTube apart, which apps do you want to use?

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Just got my first SONOS ONE. Very disappointed, I can’t do anything with my Android! Why not support Bluetooth if they refuse to integrate android cast? More functionalities are only available only for iOs, like the tuning on the space. Such a shame. 

Agree with all comments above. This is discrimination against Android users. If Sonos really wanted to support that, they would have, no matter the obstacles. They just dont care. I have found endless similar posts and requests on the internet.

The problem you’re experiencing has nothing to do with you being an Android user.

It has to do with you buying products simply based upon assumptions rather than actually reading the product features beforehand and perhaps even doing a little bit of research on the Web as well (which you’ve done after the fact rather than beforehand). To try to cover up for this, you then turn around and blame the company by making another assumption about them.

You really have nobody to blame but yourself for the situation you are in.

PS. BTW this isn’t directed at Android users as a whole, as I completely understand the desire to want a feature that works comparable to Airplay on iOS. It is essential. No doubt. That said, if you’re buying a product without researching beforehand that it has the "essential feature" that you need, you can only really blame yourself.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Just got my first SONOS ONE. Very disappointed, I can’t do anything with my Android! Why not support Bluetooth if they refuse to integrate android cast? More functionalities are only available only for iOs, like the tuning on the space. Such a shame. 

Agree with all comments above. This is discrimination against Android users. If Sonos really wanted to support that, they would have, no matter the obstacles. They just dont care. I have found endless similar posts and requests on the internet.

I'd like to see bluetooth and Chromecast support added if the hardware supports it. With respect to the latter it's not just a Sonos issue - they're locked in a legal dispute with Google over patents, so I wouldn't hold my breath. I remember it was supported a few years ago, but I found it less reliable than native WIFI.

In any case, in defence of Sonos, they don't advertise either bluetooth support nor Chromecast for the Play and Home Theatre products. The Move supports it, as it is intended to be a portable speaker. For what it's worth, WIFI generally allows for better sound quality. Bluetooth depends very much on the capabilities of the devices connected.

The new Sonos Optimo line of speakers being released this year are reported to have Bluetooth built into them. What will be interesting to see is if this will provide connectivity to your whole Sonos system (like the line in on the Play 5) or if it will just provide connectivity to just that one speaker?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I'll join the cries of others here lamenting the fact that Sonos speakers do not have a basic functionality like Chromecast support.  I wished i new before i bought them. They are Wifi speakers after all,  so i guess that like others i assumed Chromecast support would come standard. How hard can it be to implement such a functionality? 

You know, I listen to audiobooks a lot.  Would be so great if I could listen with my Sonos speaker at home. But well, I CAN NOT. Crazy right? So my old Play 5 will play some music and I will look for a vendor who actually cares for Android users ...

Get hold of a Chromecast Audio - may need to be second hand these days, although some places still seem to have new stock. Plug it in to your Play 5 and cast away….

Wow, just picked up a Sonos One SL thinking that since Sonos Ones work with Google Assistant that Chromecast would be simple.  

Now thinking I should return it and get a HomePod on sale since I’m on Apple most of the time and Sonos isn’t going to be easy to use for my Android and Chromebook using family members anyway.

The price on Homepods have dropped to 180-199.  It makes a nice speakerphone and the sound on mine seems equivalent to the Sonos One SL.   Since both are Airplay2 speakers thst don’t play well with Android and ChromeOS devices, I’m keeping the Homepod since it has more iOS and MacOS integration features for the Apple half of the family.

like this pls it could help us get chromecast functionality 

Would that be a responsibility of Google, not Sonos, to change their system to allow separate but simultaneous casting of video and audio?

My delema is a bit different in that I'm super keen to get a projector set up. To make it wireless I'd want to stream to my system and not run cable. I know I could run apple tv but then I'd miss out on being able to game on the Xbox or play other content through it with sound. I knew this was a drama to begin with but believed once the rollout of Google Assistant came out the living would be easy.

Even though Sonos rarely responds on this forum I am sure they are aware how much this puts people out. I wonder if it is part of the contract for Airplay2 capabilities....
Sonos do appear more active in replying on their Facebook page but have deleted respectful comments I have made about this on their adverts.

Update

I had just acquired a pricy Chromecast Audio and installed it when I realised that something changed on my Connect:Amp and now I can issue commands on Google mini like “Play x song on Sonos” and it plays directly on the Sonos.

This did not happen before. I only noticed because I had named the Chrom Audio as “SONOS” and when I first tried to cast to it saying the command above it replied “Playing x on connect:amp”.

I will try again tomorrow to see if it sticks.

Would that be a responsibility of Google, not Sonos, to change their system to allow separate but simultaneous casting of video and audio?

Why would you need to cast video to sonos devices? You can cast to speakers without the video feed there are several speakers that do that. That means the stream of audio and video are already seperated. If you want to cast video to a tv with the sonos arc connected you could buy a tv which has a chromecast or buy a chromecast for the tv. Does this answer your question? Maybe I misunderstood your question.

Sorry, there’s been often and repeated requests for Sonos to allow playback of both A/V streams and audio only streams via Chromecast. My response above was particular to A/V streams, but not particular to just audio. 

Sonos has implemented part of their system to allow connection to newer devices using AirPlay 2. I’d assume that they’ve offered that same “connection” method to Google, but Google would have to choose to implement it, and given the legal situation between Google and Sonos, I could easily see Google not being excited about implementing additional features to user’s ability to use Chromecast to send to a Sonos device.

But there’s been no official Sonos announcement about it, and I don’t frequent any Google boards to know if there’s been any discussion and/or commitment  by Google personnel to providing that change. 

Update

I had just acquired a pricy Chromecast Audio and installed it when I realised that something changed on my Connect:Amp and now I can issue commands on Google mini like “Play x song on Sonos” and it plays directly on the Sonos.

This did not happen before. I only noticed because I had named the Chrom Audio as “SONOS” and when I first tried to cast to it saying the command above it replied “Playing x on connect:amp”.

I will try again tomorrow to see if it sticks.

You can cast direct to the Sonos players, but it all seems to get a bit messy with the queue concept. The CCA approach seems more logical, IMHO

Badge

A brand new very disappointed sonos customer here. Why advertise google integration if you can't cast to the speaker? My crappy Google mini's have better functionality than the sonos..... Why should just apple users get this functionality? 

Spent £360 on two sonos ones which will only play spotify or radio??? Yes they sound beautiful....no complaints there, but such an investment for such limited use. Devasted none the less. 

As far as I remember, you can cast to Sonos. You can doing from either in the Sonos app which lets you cast Google music and the like. You can also cast from within the Google music app to speakers. My gripe was the poor integration with other Google Chromecast products. Anyway sold my play 1s now and replaced with Harman Kardon Citation One speaker, full Google Chromecast implementation and also, in my opinion sound better than Sonos Ones.

I've just started to get into Chrome cast but it's just another thing that makes me sad I invested >$2,000 in Sonos for my new home.  

All reviews pointed to good sound quality and functionality but pretty sure they weren't talking about expanded systems which are a nightmare for disconnects well within the requirements and ranges. Customer service are pleasant to talk to but it's always the same troubleshooting (remove, repair problem speakers then recommend I hardwire speaker in group. 

Like most of you,  I don't recommend the speakers and have since left reviews about my experience online. I continuously get spammed by Sonos to leave a review,  but it never posts due to their website saying my Adblocker prevents it. I've gone to some effort to disable but no success. 

You can find the trail of Chromecast support requests to Sonos but nothing..

Leave reviews to save other people from being disappointed by paying premium prices for poor products. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Now Harman Kardon Citation One new revision called Mk ii supports both Airplay 2 and Chromecast and also stereo pairing and have Google Assistant built-in and also stronger bass than Sonos One so I think we found substitution. Sorry but Chromecast built-in is a dealbreaker in 2020.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

I think it’s time to give this one a rest. Sonos doesn’t have Chromecast functionality, and it’s not up to Sonos. Google decides who gets Chromecast support. There have been no improvements or even bug fixes since GA for Sonos was first released, and with Sonos suing Google, none are likely in the near future.

What might help is for this Community to have a poll where people could vote on requested features or bug fixes to provide some feedback to Sonos to help them prioritize. But apparently that’s controversial: https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/the-hot-mess-of-this-community-forum-for-feature-feedback-request-voting-6798703/index2.html

Userlevel 2
Badge

How do I communicate using VLC player? This is what I have always used for personal music. There's a chromecast button.......

Any news on Sonos implementing cast from Android phones? I thought there are more Android users than Apple which should be a good reason to update...

Badge

Why is Sonos lacking the Chromecast functionality, which basically every 100€ WiFi speaker has. It makes it impossible to use YouTube music ...

Sonos was my life.... until Apple killed Youtube (video) on Gen 2 AppleTV, mid-way through Melbourne lockdown. Wasted a little cash on the new Google TV Chromecast...  useless. thanks to lack of  integration with any of my five Play 1, One or Symfonisk speakers. I won't be upgrading to a smart-erTV or purchasing a Beam anytime soon (thank you COVID).

I basically purchased a Sonos One with Google Assistant that won't ‘allow Google TV Chromecast to function as per its name. “Smart”? :thinking:. The only winner here was the NSA who are probably profiling the bejesus out of me and my stop-words 

If Corporate Gaslighting is a thing.. I got lit big time. 

No news at all.

Sonos has already written an API that has been used by several streamers to implement this functionality. Google just has to take the time to implement this as well, using the provided API. It’s not something Sonos can do, as they don’t have the ability to access Google’s code base. 

This is false. Implementing casting to Chromecast is easy, and Sonos could solve this without working together with (or asking permission from) Google.

See here and here for examples of open source implementations.