Chromecast functionality

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

164 replies

In the process of getting rid of my Sonos speakers and replacing with Harman Kardon Citation series. Fully implemented Chromecast so I can add my choice of speakers to groups.

IMHO I think the HK Citation one sounds better than One-Play 1 and SL, cheeper and like I said they all work well with Chromecast, sick and tired of companies tying you into there own eco systems " YOU WILL USE OUR SPEAKERS HOW WE WANT YOU TOO"!.

For me, I just want to add my Sonos Beam and two Play:1 to a group of speaker, to be able to cast audio on every speaker in my house (Multiple Google home mini, smart clock...).

I think that expecting lots of dissimilar devices from different manufacturers to work together in sync is rather naive.

I should have read more about that for sure.

Well, yes...

Maybe that's naive, but that's the whole point of supporting Google interface…

Well of course I should have read more, but that's not explicit, at all... And it should be.

For me, I just want to add my Sonos Beam and two Play:1 to a group of speaker, to be able to cast audio on every speaker in my house (Multiple Google home mini, smart clock...).

I think that expecting lots of dissimilar devices from different manufacturers to work together in sync is rather naive.

I should have read more about that for sure.

Well, yes...

What is stopping you? Sonos supports podcast apps and you can play music files using "on this mobile device'. It may not be exactly what you want but basically Sonos does those things.

This is not enough...

Voice match is also not available on all Sonos devices…

Sonos is such a deception, I bought Sonos because it was supposed to be Google compatible, I should have read more about that for sure.

Please do something Sonos, give us a clear answer at least...

What is stopping you? Sonos supports podcast apps and you can play music files using "on this mobile device'. It may not be exactly what you want but basically Sonos does those things.

I need the Chromecast option!
Using my mackbook and Airplay is so easy, so why can’t i keep listening to my music or podcast from my android when I come home?

Omg. Glad I bought only one to test - the other 5 devices will not be Sonos unless they add Chromecast anytime soon.

I have 2 Sonos Ones and was planning to invest in a Beam since I am watching a lot more TV these days. I have decided not to invest in further Sonos gear until the connectivity to Chromecast etc is sorted out. Pity though - i like the sound quality of the products.

pls get chromecast asap SONOS!

God damn it. I wish I saw this thread before I invested in Sonos.

It’s frustrating as hell that I cannot cast anything to my Sonos. My dingie little Sony speaker can be cast and airplay. What sort of joke is Sonos playing on us?

It’s basically a useless ecosystem when you’re forced into the Sonos app which relies on integration services.

Yes, Sonos fanboys please down vote this post I’ve seen how you’ve all attacked legit feedback from owners who are not happy with the way Sonos is prioritizing their software development. This is a software product prioritization. Chromecast is as open as it can be. It is not Apple AirPlay.

@Foofoo: I completely agree. I have 2 Play:3s, a Soundbar, and 2 Play:1s. But I listen to podcasts, etc. on my Google Home Minis because Sonos is so freakin' inconvenient. I'm ready to dump the Sonos gear.

I totally agree. I listen to Podcasts very often. Works like a charm on my Google devices with my Android phones. Using my beam as a overpriced dumb TV speaker because its lack of support of the Chromecast protocol. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

I think it’s time to give this one a rest. Sonos doesn’t have Chromecast functionality, and it’s not up to Sonos. Google decides who gets Chromecast support. There have been no improvements or even bug fixes since GA for Sonos was first released, and with Sonos suing Google, none are likely in the near future.

What might help is for this Community to have a poll where people could vote on requested features or bug fixes to provide some feedback to Sonos to help them prioritize. But apparently that’s controversial: https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/the-hot-mess-of-this-community-forum-for-feature-feedback-request-voting-6798703/index2.html

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Now Harman Kardon Citation One new revision called Mk ii supports both Airplay 2 and Chromecast and also stereo pairing and have Google Assistant built-in and also stronger bass than Sonos One so I think we found substitution. Sorry but Chromecast built-in is a dealbreaker in 2020.

Adding my name to list of would who would buy one of these for every room in my house except for it not supporting Chromecast and forcing me to use their app is a deal breaker. So annoying because they look and sound amazing for the price

https://www.google.com/amp/s/9to5google.com/2019/05/17/google-assistant-sonos-home/amp/

This basically sums up the Google integration problem's for Android people.

Userlevel 1

Chromecast support is imperative for Sonos. I have to think that they are in a death march to implement this functionality. I have >10 Sonos devices in my home and am responsible for at least another 30 in the homes of relatives and friends.  I hope Sonos doesn’t make me look like an idiot. The last thing I want to do is use the Sonos app to do anything. The Sonos app was great in 2014, but it’s been years since usability has improved. Roon solved this problem for me in my home, but I can’t setup Roon servers for my relatives (expensive, complicated, PITA). However, Plex provides a great solution, and now you can cast to Sonos speakers from the Plex apps (see https://support.plex.tv/articles/218237558-requirements-for-using-plex-for-sonos/). This is great, but please implement Chromecast support generally. Thanks.

Without full Google Home accessibility...just doesn't’ seem to work for me...probably going to return them.

Sonos accepts casts from Amazon Music and Spotify native apps, and perhaps more I don't know about, but it does not from You Tube or Apple Music. Where has the ball dropped for the latter two? In whose court?

Userlevel 1

yes it is ridiculous that Sonos doesn't have Chromecast in 2020!!!!

Here’s the bottom line. We know it supports casting. Otherwise casting from Google Play Music wouldn’t work. So I don’t want to hear the excuse that they don’t have the hardware for it. They do. They need to finish baking it in. It’s completely unacceptable for a 400 speaker not to have such a basic function. Wish I save the box, because without the ability to cast it’s complete crap for me

I thought you could already do that, and it would be nice, but that’s not really it. What I would need, is full Chromecast audio support, so that apps that support to cast their audio via Chromecast, can discover and cast to the Sonos system.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Sonos don’t pre-announce too much, so if Chromecast is on it’s way, or if it’s imminent, the general public don’t yet know. I believe Sonos still support a feature called On this Device which allows music on an Android device to play on Sonos speakers including Beam and One, amongst others. That may meet your needs?

I want to buy a Sonos system, but won’t do it without Chromecast support. 4 out of 5 mobile phones in my family is on Android. Some services we use don’t support either AirPlay or Sonos, only Chromecast, so it’s an absolute requirement. There’s no other systems out there that I really want though, so I’m very likely to buy a Sonos system if Chromecast support is introduced not to far off in the future.

Bought a beam and found out that I can't cast. Plus one for chromecast support.

The price on Homepods have dropped to 180-199.  It makes a nice speakerphone and the sound on mine seems equivalent to the Sonos One SL.   Since both are Airplay2 speakers thst don’t play well with Android and ChromeOS devices, I’m keeping the Homepod since it has more iOS and MacOS integration features for the Apple half of the family.

Sonos please add a casting feature to Sonos from andriod/google home, much appreciated

Userlevel 1
Badge

Wow, just picked up a Sonos One SL thinking that since Sonos Ones work with Google Assistant that Chromecast would be simple.  

Now thinking I should return it and get a HomePod on sale since I’m on Apple most of the time and Sonos isn’t going to be easy to use for my Android and Chromebook using family members anyway.

If it was common knowledge that Sonos cannot cast, I bet their sales would be greatly reduced...