Chromecast functionality

Show first post

164 replies

Actually, you can set them as an audio target - I did that for the rooms that don't have a voice enabled Sonos.

Oh, I think I found it, probably you are talking about the integration directly with “Sonos” service on the google assistant, currently not available to me at Portugal, for what reason I dunno, since I have other products on my house integrated with GA… another frustation, i guess...

Are there services that are not on Sonos? Or do you mean free services? 

Basically, anything that supports cast and is not on the Sonos shortlist of services… ranging from local media to other stream services.

fact is - sonos needs also chromecast support, otherwise it’s wasted money for the buck for most android users and we better switch to other brands

Sonos offers pretty much every major streaming services streamed directly without the use of chromecast, airplay, or any other mechanism in between.  They also offer Tune In and their own Sonos radio as a means of accessing hundreds (thousands?) of radio stations.  I think you might be overstating the necessity of chromecast support for android users.

People don't want to use the Sonos app... maybe back in the day, but now people want to open their favourite music app and just cast. 

Speak for yourself.

Casting directly from Spotify or most other services will not allow me more than one simultaneous stream. I want to be able to have different music streaming to different rooms.

Casting from TuneIn will include the ads.

Google cast groups are static, cannot change the members of the group dynamically. 

Chromecast will not allow me mixed playback from different services and local media.

Dude, I am an Android user. I listed a number of reasons why I think Chromecast (or Airplay, for that matter) is inferior to the features already offered. You just respond with "we want what we want because we want it". That is not going to convince me, nor will it convince Sonos or Google to do something about it.

I see a lot of people on here asking for Chromecast that only have one speaker. I know I sound like a purist, but I get the feeling that they don't "get" what the Sonos ecosystem is actually about, and would maybe have been happier with an upmarket Bluetooth speaker.

In my day to day, I have not seen any use case that has me say "I need Chromecast on this thing". Mind you, streaming YouTube and splitting the audio from the video cannot be done on Google Home speakers either. Full YT videos can only be casted to video Chromecasts, it has to do with YT's terms and conditions.

I can give you my reason to want to cast…

I use nest minis, and I want to shout an GA command to start songs on my speaker system… without cast suport I cannot assign the Sonos as default speaker to my mini's...let alone integrate them on my groups...

And as stated above, we can clearly use speakers to play selected services, but if you do not subscribe to them for any reason, you are out in the Cold…

Also as stated before, guests are unable to control media without logins, major inconveniences for the price point and general market feature set state.

Actually, you can set them as an audio target - I did that for the rooms that don't have a voice enabled Sonos.

Are there services that are not on Sonos? Or do you mean free services?

You do not need to login, but you do need to download the app. Generally, in my house, my guests don't control anything.

To each their own, apparently.

Dude, I am an Android user. I listed a number of reasons why I think Chromecast (or Airplay, for that matter) is inferior to the features already offered. You just respond with "we want what we want because we want it". That is not going to convince me, nor will it convince Sonos or Google to do something about it.

Well, actually, it might… Sonos always insisted that hires wasn’t worthwhile and wouldn’t be supported, but looks like they’re going to do a complete about face on it. Marketing pressure works, if the numbers are high enough.

fact is - sonos needs also chromecast support, otherwise it’s wasted money for the buck for most android users and we better switch to other brands

Sonos offers pretty much every major streaming services streamed directly without the use of chromecast, airplay, or any other mechanism in between.  They also offer Tune In and their own Sonos radio as a means of accessing hundreds (thousands?) of radio stations.  I think you might be overstating the necessity of chromecast support for android users.

People don't want to use the Sonos app... maybe back in the day, but now people want to open their favourite music app and just cast. 

Speak for yourself.

Casting directly from Spotify or most other services will not allow me more than one simultaneous stream. I want to be able to have different music streaming to different rooms.

Google cast groups are static, cannot change the members of the group dynamically. 

Chromecast will not allow me mixed playback from different services and local media.

I see a lot of people on here asking for Chromecast that only have one speaker. I know I sound like a purist, but I get the feeling that they don't "get" what the Sonos ecosystem is actually about, and would maybe have been happier with an upmarket Bluetooth speaker.

In my day to day, I have not seen any use case that has me say "I need Chromecast on this thing". Mind you, streaming YouTube and splitting the audio from the video cannot be done on Google Home speakers either. Full YT videos can only be casted to video Chromecasts, it has to do with YT's terms and conditions.

I can give you my reason to want to cast…

I use nest minis, and I want to shout an GA command to start songs on my speaker system… without cast suport I cannot assign the Sonos as default speaker to my mini's...let alone integrate them on my groups...

And as stated above, we can clearly use speakers to play selected services, but if you do not subscribe to them for any reason, you are out in the Cold…

Also as stated before, guests are unable to control media without logins, major inconveniences for the price point and general market feature set state.

Speak for yourself.

Welp.…

Add another one frustrated customer here.…

Came out of ikea today with 3 of theirs Sonos speakers…

Only to arrive at home, and discover that the "Google assistant" suport on the Sonos lineup does not means what it should meant…

I have other speakers on the house and was hoping to up my sound quality with those... But I'm really considering returning them…

It was an impulse buy, they sound great on the demo stand, quick Google search shows GA suport, no brainier I thought... 

A real shame....

Userlevel 1

Echoing others, lack of Chromecast integration in my Sonos One is a big disappointment.  Many competitors offer this.  I would buy additional Sonos Ones if it had this functionality.  I am giving serious consideration to selling my Sonos One and buying the Harman Kardon Citation One MKII.  The MKII version adds Airplay 2 in addition to Chromecast.  Having both gives me the flexibility that I want.  I’d be happy to stick with Sonos, but at some point I’ll get tired of waiting.

Userlevel 2
Badge

You can do, with some:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3549?language=en_US

VLC?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Speak for yourself.

Dude, it's really simple. Apple has iplay or air play or what ever, Andoid wants chromecast. It's really simple! No Sonos app replaces that.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

You can do, with some:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3549?language=en_US

Speak for yourself.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Userlevel 2
Badge

I too would use a Sonos system- was considering the arc, sub and surrounds. The lack of intergation with chromecast makes Sonos useless to me... I am so supprised that chromecast is not avalibe. If Sonos has any plan to integrate chromecast in the next year or so with updates, it would be in their best interest to let users know now.

So is there any official statement from Sonos to why casting youtube etc isnt supported?

It's not overstated. I have a home ecosystem with multiple speakers that can be grouped via Chromecast. I purchased a Sonos One and was surprised that I couldn’t group it with my other speakers. It is possible with Airplay but as an Android user, it was very disappointing. I promptly returned the Sonos and purchased a Harmon Kardon Citation One instead. It has been able to integrate with my Google Home ecosystem smoothly via Chromecast and the acoustics are comparable, if not, slightly better.

thank you 106rally
yes I added manually my most favorite stations already, but I prefer to travel around the globe and just listen some of the 8000 stations, so I will not do this every day, it’s annoying...

And its only one example of usage.
I never imagined Sonos will not support this basic feature when I bought this highly advertised multifunctional brand.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@U2Pas You can add radio stations to Sonos like this https://support.sonos.com/s/article/260?language=en_US

I think a lot of us got screwed by buying sonos products on the vague promise of “google assistant” support, which was eventually half-delivered like a year late and then never updated. Sonos is more concerned with keeping people in their proprietary ecosystem (see: sonos radio, S2, etc) than the compatibility and openness that originally won them fans. Honestly the S2 thing pissed everyone off, but if they gave me the choice to have no sonos app at all and join everything to the google ecosystem I’d take it in a heartbeat.

I guess this topic only has 43,000 views though, so it must not be an important feature to their customers. 

A brand new very disappointed sonos customer here. Why advertise google integration if you can't cast to the speaker? My crappy Google mini's have better functionality than the sonos..... Why should just apple users get this functionality? 

Spent £360 on two sonos ones which will only play spotify or radio??? Yes they sound beautiful....no complaints there, but such an investment for such limited use. Devasted none the less. 

yes happened to me too...
Sonos webpage infos are very minimalistic and there was just mentioned Android this and there
So I bought basic equipment, connected my Android and opened my favorite http://radio.garden/

But I was unable to stream the stations Audio to Sonos !!
So after reading more details on external tech pages I found out it does not support this basic feature.
I am really frustrated now and cancelled my plans to buy the new ARC and Subwoofer etc.

Badge

As far as I remember, you can cast to Sonos. You can doing from either in the Sonos app which lets you cast Google music and the like. You can also cast from within the Google music app to speakers without setting up a tv and soundbar. My gripe was the poor integration with other Google Chromecast products. Anyway sold my play 1s now and replaced with Harman Kardon Citation One speaker, full Google Chromecast implementation and also, in my opinion sound better than Sonos Ones.

Good morning. You cant cast you tube, netflix, prime, itv app etc from an android tablet or phone to the speakers. There is no air play equivalent functionality for android. In android chromcast is our equivalent and sonos aren't chromcast compatible.  I can stream music beautifully directly through apps such as spotify,  But no audio for any visual apps 😔. If anyone knows of a solution please do let me know as im gutted x 

As far as I remember, you can cast to Sonos. You can doing from either in the Sonos app which lets you cast Google music and the like. You can also cast from within the Google music app to speakers. My gripe was the poor integration with other Google Chromecast products. Anyway sold my play 1s now and replaced with Harman Kardon Citation One speaker, full Google Chromecast implementation and also, in my opinion sound better than Sonos Ones.

Badge

A brand new very disappointed sonos customer here. Why advertise google integration if you can't cast to the speaker? My crappy Google mini's have better functionality than the sonos..... Why should just apple users get this functionality? 

Spent £360 on two sonos ones which will only play spotify or radio??? Yes they sound beautiful....no complaints there, but such an investment for such limited use. Devasted none the less. 

Ok, I'm no tech head. What I was trying to say is that my HK speakers can be incorporated into a group with all my other Google/Chromecast speakers,  which Sonos can't. And they also have Bluetooth.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

In the process of getting rid of my Sonos speakers and replacing with Harman Kardon Citation series. Fully implemented Chromecast so I can add my choice of speakers to groups.

IMHO I think the HK Citation one sounds better than One-Play 1 and SL, cheeper and like I said they all work well with Chromecast, sick and tired of companies tying you into there own eco systems " YOU WILL USE OUR SPEAKERS HOW WE WANT YOU TOO"!.

I don’t know if this is the system, or if things have changed since this info was provided by Harmon Kardon, but It looks like the Citation is a closed system -not what you want? 

Mario at Customer Service

· a year ago  

It is true that WISA is a technology that can be shared, similar to Bluetooth or WiFi. However, the CITATION system is created as a closed system, meaning that the CITATION WISA system will only work with units in the CITATION family.