chromebook and sonos

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

56 replies

Great, Sonos app on ChromeOS finally works again.
I'm running ChromeOS beta (71.0.3578.49), but I don't think it was a ChromeOS problem (or that it has been solved by ChromeOS).
I got today Sonos App V9.3, and now suddently the app does discover again my Sonos speakers.

Update: this worked before the speakers got the 9.3 update. Speakers were still on 9.2, only app on Chromebook was 9.3
Me Too!! Chromebook support request, not the hashtag
Unfortunately the latest Chrome OS (Version 70.0.3538.76) hosting Android 7.1.1, still loads the Sonos app, but in my experience, will not connect to the Sonos system. Let's hope with the increasing popularity of Chromebooks Sonos will decide to support this upcoming platform in the future. It might also help if Google included a more current version of Android on its own Chromebook platform.
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Just catching up this one. I certainly don't regret buying Sonos. And it would have to be said, we should not just assume things will work. I did, I got bit!

That said, I still ask, why it worked so nicely, for so long and then simply stopped?

That is more of an issue ... despite my lack of pre-purchase homework.

I don't mind to wait for a solution .... hey I'm one of those who waited eon's for the Audible solution! 🙂 .... and when it came, it was spot on.

Waiting for road map changes and responses is ok with me .... but some word on direction would be nice .... even if it's Jan 2020! An expectation I can live with even if it's a disappointing one.
Relieved to hear so many others having issues. I bought an Asus Chromebook flip to replace a Samsung tablet which Sonos stopped working on due to it being ancient and running on Android 2.something. First few months Sonos worked perfectly, just like on my android phone (moto G5). This month it wouldn't connect to Sonos despite working on pc and mobile but I blamed my WiFi. Decided to powerwash my Chromebook, wiping everything (well, not much really) and reinstalling all my apps. Then set up Sonos and connected it to my "existing system" only to get the message that it couldn't detect Sonos on my network. So now I have a tablet, daughter's phone (my old Samsung S3) and a 6 month old Chromebook that all can't operate Sonos...
Big piece of crap imho. Am sick and tired of the way Sonos software seems to flake out in weird ways. Glad I only bought one of the Sonos 1 standalone speakers and a Playbase. The Playbase works extremely well as a TV speaker and that's all it will ever be for me. I had everything working from my Chromebook a few months ago, but it seems "forced obsolescence" has caught up with me. Will not look back the day that I finally tell Sonos to, "go to hell" for good.
How can the Sonos software "flake out in weird ways" when they have never officially supported ChromeOS? The Android controller used to work, albeit imperfectly. Something broke.

With the growing popularity of Chromebook Sonos could well have official support on their roadmap somewhere.

As for "forced obsolescence" I've never heard such an inappropriate use of the phrase.
Userlevel 3
Big piece of crap imho. Am sick and tired of the way Sonos software seems to flake out in weird ways. Glad I only bought one of the Sonos 1 standalone speakers and a Playbase. The Playbase works extremely well as a TV speaker and that's all it will ever be for me. I had everything working from my Chromebook a few months ago, but it seems "forced obsolescence" has caught up with me. Will not look back the day that I finally tell Sonos to, "go to hell" for good.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Same problem on my Samsung plus chromebook. Some are saying you can get Google music app to connect to Sonos. How exactly?
For google play music to "cast to sonos" from within the GPM app, you need to have the sonos app on the same android device.

?

On my Chromebook Pixel, the Android GPM app can cast to Sonos without the Android Sonos app being installed.

Oh, maybe something has changed, that was what I was told on here.....
You definitely have not, nor ever had the sonos app on it?
It is hard to believe that this is still a problem... come on Sonos (and Google)!
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Same problem on my Samsung plus chromebook. Some are saying you can get Google music app to connect to Sonos. How exactly?
For google play music to "cast to sonos" from within the GPM app, you need to have the sonos app on the same android device.

?

On my Chromebook Pixel, the Android GPM app can cast to Sonos without the Android Sonos app being installed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Amazed to find it was so common an issue and as someone on one of the posts mentioned this is a massive and growing market, not a clever niche one based on odd tech.

Understand the 'not supported' discussion and indeed the 'check before you buy' one but a. it worked perfectly ... so clearly it's do'able and b. it's a big big growth area so surely this needs be taken on board?

Chrome OS and Android are converging into a unified experience with a clear direction of travel.

Google itself appears on the cusp of releasing a Chrome OS Pixel device that's either a 2-in-1 convertible/detachable or pure Chrome OS (dockable) tablet, with Android-running-on-ChromeOS being the UX when in tablet mode, and app developers being guided and expected to respond to this direction of travel.

Sonos' attitude: shrug shoulders, "nothing to do with me, guv".

Really not very impressive.
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Bought a new Pixelbook i7 .... and Sonos ran perfectly for many weeks. Indeed was one of the reasons to buy as my other half struggles (as I do) with small screen smart phones.

Then one Saturday night with too much wine, it stopped ... assumed was my wifi and wine consumption so grabbed the old Nexus 7 and worked a treat as it always has.

Assumed it was a simple issue but thought would check it on the forum. Amazed to find it was so common an issue and as someone on one of the posts mentioned this is a massive and growing market, not a clever niche one based on odd tech.

Understand the 'not supported' discussion and indeed the 'check before you buy' one but a. it worked perfectly ... so clearly it's do'able and b. it's a big big growth area so surely this needs be taken on board?
Note that Sonos has clearly stated that they don't support Chromebooks, so it's unlikely that they're going to "fix" this. Here's the list:

supported OS
+1 please help correct this. The android app won't connect on Pixelbook.
I have had the same problem since the last Sonos update. Exchanged emails with three different Sonos support techs and all they replied is "Sonos is not supported on Chromebooks". I wish that I knew a way to prevent the app from installing as other non-compatible apps do. Maybe they will fix?
Userlevel 2
I am having the same problem... was working fine but recently Sonos app on Chromebook can no longer find the system. Shame.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Rather than supporting a bunch of different hardware platforms why not make a web based Sonos controller? One that would work on almost any system.
Partial Workaround: Strongly agree that it's not acceptable for Sonos to not support Chromebooks. I expect the $500 - $700 per speaker I paid to buy reasonable software support.

However you can use the google music app - and cast to your sonos. Not many people on Google Play Music though, and I think you're limited to one speaker.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'd suggest that the Chromebook is an adequate replacement, for some situations, for the discontinued and now unsupported CR-100. It isn't as convenient with easy to press buttons but at least it is fast to boot up (unlike a laptop) and doesn't require users to use a touch screen (like a tablet or phone) so it fits a good niche of users.

We bought a Chromebook hoping it would work and if we had to but a newer one to run Sonos on we'd do that.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
I think it's now past time where these differences (eg. https://developer.android.com/topic/arc/#check_for_networking_requirements ) should be being taken account of by app developers where it's possible to do so in order to ensure correct functioning. If OS deficiencies exist, developers obviously get a pass until Google addresses the underlying issue, but not otherwise.

Android on Chromebooks is still a niche, granted, but it's a mainstream (and growing) niche, not alpha/beta channel stuff, so my view is developers should be doing the work to ensure app compatibility. Claiming instead that they don't support it looks well out of touch with Android on ChromeOS's current status and direction of travel.

But preaching to the converted on this thread, innit 😃
I'm inclined to agree. However the fact remains that the networking architecture of Android-on-ChromeOS is significantly different from native Android. Try running other network apps like Fing or WiFi scanners. They only work partially.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
I think Sonos' claim that it's "not supported on Chromebooks" is beginning to sound lame...

Chromebooks are today generally running Android 7.1.1 - a supported target OS for Sonos - albeit via a different mechanism to mobile devices running Android. The Sonos app is running on Android (running on Chrome OS). Android running on Chrome OS is at the stage where I'd expect app developers to be doing what they can to ensure their apps function correctly on these platforms unless prevented from doing so by underlying OS deficiencies (and if these exist to be communicating them to Google).

Folks aren't side-loading the Sonos app; they're installing it on Android (running on Chrome OS) via the official Google Play Store. Chromebooks running Android is old news; it's mainstream stuff that I'd expect Sonos as a major developer to have got its head around.
Badge
Add me to the list of disappointed chromebook users (Pixelbook). Same issue as described above - was working great and now can't connect.