Skip to main content
Answered

Error Code 913 attempting to add Windows Folder to Music Library

This exact error has been widely reported here, but mostly for Macs. None of the official accepted “answers” for Windows provide a solution.

Running Sonos Controller for Windows 16.2.

This all started when I repped some of my CDs and tried to re-index the folder. It hung for hours. I let it run overnight, and it was still hanging. I closed and restarted the app. After that, any attempts to access the Music folder - or any subfolder - fails with the 913 error code.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Controller. That has NO effect on this failure.

The Controller either suddenly won’t support WIndolws Folders, or it leaves some “residue” during indexing that cannot be removed by uninstalling the app. It could be hidden properties on the folders themselves, hidden Windows Registry keys, something.

73 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Finally stumbled on a fix, I hope… for my Windows 11 system anyway. 

Give all the proper permission for file sharing in both the Share tab and the Security tab to the additional user and Sonos Wireless Hifi System. For good measure make sure SMV1 is turned off but it comes as default for Windows 11 anyway.

My Sonos S2 is Sonos_79 1-53290. Yesterday (!!) it allowed three options for the music folder to reside in: OneDrive/music; ”Another folder or drive connected to my computer”; NAS.  As a Hail Mary, I copied some MP3s to the first option and it worked. Today(!!) the first option disappeared from S2. But moving the music folder to OneDrive/music continues to work. Why it makes a difference between Option 1 and 2 I don’t know. Sonos help desk missed this one. I just stumbled on it. But for someone who does not have large enough storage in your PC C:\ drive, you may be out of luck.

How can Sonos churn out such garbage software? Wait till they roll out another new version of the controller and we will have to do it all over again. I still haven’t begun to tackle my Play 3 issue yet. I don’t have the energy to waste my life on Sonos so soon. Maybe I should burn my Play 3 and go back to cassette tapes and a boom box.

Thanks

Badge

Hello,

I have received the exact same message and was unable to connect to my “Music” folder on my PC until I performed the following steps:

1. Right click on the “Music” folder
  2. Select properties
  3. Select the “Sharing” tab
  4. Select Share
  5. Select “Sonos Wireless HiFi System” in the dropdown box
  6. Click on “Share”
  7. Back at the top “Music Properties” dialog box click on “Advanced Sharing”
  8. Click the “Share this folder” box in the upper left corner
  9. At the bottom of the dialog box click “Apply” and then click “OK”
  10. Go back to the Sonos controller and add your local “Music” folder

This worked for me.

Hope this helps.

daveintennessee

Did not work for me. This is an insidious issue that Sonos should have solved a long time ago.

Thank you! The music file sharing instructions as given by several of you in this thread worked for me (Windows 11). After countless “error code 913” tries I can once again play my iTune music files on what I was calling my expensive paperweights these last few weeks. Why couldn’t anyone from SONOS provide this relatively simple solution?

This solution worked for me: 

This worked for me too

Having read many of the posts about this problem, and having it myself, I have sent the following email to the CEO. It will be interesting if I get an answer, and hopefully a solution:

Good morning

I have returned from a business trip to find that I can no longer play my iTunes library through my Sonos system. I have used this facility succesfully for at least 5 years.

I have tried everything to remedy this, but the iTunes folder will simply not load - and error code 913 is shown every time. I have checked the file, and sharing is enabled / allowed. I run Windows.

Looking on your forum, I see this is a new problem and everyone seems to have it who tries to play their iTunes library through Sonos..

What are your plans to rectify this please? If you are not going to rectify it, my Sonos system is no use, and I really would not expect that.

I would also ask, why does Sonos not reply to the thousands of comments on your own platform (Sonos community) relating to this issue?

I look forward to your reply, and a solution.

Just joining the THOROUGHLY FRUSTRATED club. Came back from holiday to find my music library removed from Sonos app after 10 years. S2 controller App updated to version 16.2, Mac Air running on 14.5. I have spent hours trying all the possible fixes as per the Community to no avail. Where is Sonos support when you need it? 

Hi - I just want to emphasize one aspect of the solution to the 913 issue kindly documented above by davefromtennessee. I am running Windows 10 and the latest Sonos PC controller build. 79153290. Simply adding a share for your Music Folder (Properties->Sharing ) is not enough. You need to utilize Advanced Sharing ( Properties->Sharing->Advanced Sharing->Share this Folder(check this). While I was there I also did the following from this screen:Permissions->Add->Advanced->Find Now->click Sonos->OK->OK. After that I went back into the Sonos PC Controller and it successfully added the Music Library. I’m providing a screen shot of the nested Permissions screen below. Also, before doing this, I had a chat with Sonos Support and their diagnostic said that I was trying to use SMB1 so they told me that was the problem. I doubted this based on my own experience and as you see it had nothing to do with the problem so watch out - I know they are trying hard but their own diagnostics may be giving bad info. Good luck. 

Userlevel 2

Hi - I just want to emphasize one aspect of the solution to the 913 issue kindly documented above by davefromtennessee. I am running Windows 10 and the latest Sonos PC controller build. 79153290. Simply adding a share for your Music Folder (Properties->Sharing ) is not enough. You need to utilize Advanced Sharing ( Properties->Sharing->Advanced Sharing->Share this Folder(check this). While I was there I also did the following from this screen:Permissions->Add->Advanced->Find Now->click Sonos->OK->OK. After that I went back into the Sonos PC Controller and it successfully added the Music Library. I’m providing a screen shot of the nested Permissions screen below. Also, before doing this, I had a chat with Sonos Support and their diagnostic said that I was trying to use SMB1 so they told me that was the problem. I doubted this based on my own experience and as you see it had nothing to do with the problem so watch out - I know they are trying hard but their own diagnostics may be giving bad info. Good luck. 

My screenshot looks different, but I had also added Sono to give it explicit permissions. It didn’t fix the problem.

Xris,

Sorry you’re still having trouble. I am guessing that you got this screen from the Security tab when  you opened up Properties on your Music folder. So I just want to verify that you also did everything outlined above by daveintennessee from the Sharing tab. If you did then I’m stumped.

Has anyone solved this for Mac’s yet?    Was told by online chat to phone tech support but it’s a 75 min wait right now

Thanks!

I have the same issue on my Mac - as above I have tried everything the Community have identified. We are now mid June - I thought there was to be an updated Controller App which would solve the issue by now?

Has Magsy29 received a response from the Sonos CEO?

Will have to try that 75min wait for a Sonos tech some time - still frustrated

BernieCM

Userlevel 2
Badge

If it says “expected wait time” of 75 minutes by the automated answer, it will be at least an hour and a half before Level 1 picks up! Don’t bother, they simply don’t have the answer. They read about the fix (for most Windows users) from here just like us. I am supposed to get a Level 2 scheduled appointment (re-escalated a second time) but they have not honored that commitment -- I think Level 2 has no idea either. Sonos is truly disrespectful of its customers. Fend for yourself seems to be the answer. It will be a Harvard Business School case soon on how to destroy a franchise.

Thanks

Thanks to some extremely good comments in this thread I was able to solve this.

From this it is clear to me that with some clear and well articulated instructions, and some warning in advance, this would not be a problem.  As it is -- Sonos has really created a giant clusterfork for nothing.  What a ridiculous fiasco.

From this it is clear to me that with some clear and well articulated instructions, and some warning in advance, this would not be a problem.  As it is -- Sonos has really created a giant clusterfork for nothing.  What a ridiculous fiasco.

They did send out a warning, but IMHO, it wasn’t sufficient.  It merely stated that SMB v1 and HTTP sharing will no longer be supported.  They should’ve done more to let people know in less technical terms what to expect and how to rectify.

They did send out a warning, but IMHO, it wasn’t sufficient.  It mere stated that SMB v1 and HTTP sharing will no longer be supported.  They should’ve done more to let people know in less technical terms what to expect and how to rectify.

I never received any warning.  And just stating that is ridiculously inadequate.  They should have given detailed instructions.

So if SMB v1 is not supported by Sonos, does anyone know how to rectify on a Mac Air. I have googled with little help - just says to go to File Sharing and enable SMB (presume this means SMB v1) and another site said that Mac’s don’t get on with SMB v2??  

So still little support from Sonos - will have to look to them to reimburse my expenditure and look for alternative speakers (probably won’t get much response from this request either of course)!!

Don’t understand why they are ignoring the issue; the updated app that will fix it all doesn’t seem to be appearing.

PS - I didn’t receive any warning either.

BernieCM

Userlevel 2
Badge

Not that this will help you much …. as I am on Windows 11. In many of the Windows situations, I surmise that SMBv1 is NOT the issue, as SMBv1 comes unchecked (i.e. turned off) as default. My fruitless inquiry with Sonos actually went through this one … they checked SMBv1 and it didn’t work for me (so they seem to know a little about this but nothing about Sonos Wireless Wifi System … what is it? a “user” of some kind? How come it was never needed before?)

Warning? What warning? In the last two years or so, Sonos typically have issues when either there is a Windows /iOS update (fair enough … why would Sonos be able to anticipate all issues) or some version of the Sonos desktop controller or Mobile App update …. I always try not to update the latter until kinks are likely to have been worked out over time… however, you don’t always have the choice not to update.

Thanks

Any update on this?

This problem happens also on a local library on a windows computer (not only on a NAS network shared folder). Lucky for us this is easy to solve!!!
I was in a hurry so i was able to quickly solve it sharing that folder (Music in my case) on network and allowing access to everyone (read/write).
So this is surely a network sharing access permission problem. So I’m sure that just following this suggestion will help too (and it will be a little more “secure”):
Please right-click on the Music Folder > Properties > Advanced Sharing > Add “Sonos Wireless HiFi System” (it’s a user) >» Flag Read/Write permission.

Source:
https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers%2Dand%2Dmusic%2Dservices%2D229131/fixing%2Dthe%2Dlibrary%2Derror%2Dcode%2D913%2Dfor%2Dwindows%2Dusers%2D6895367?tid=6895367

Looks like Sonos published a solution:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/error-913-when-adding-a-music-library-share

Unfortunately that is only a partial workaround.

It does add the music library to Sonos.

However none of the iTunes playlists have any content listed. 

I get the error “unable to browse music”.

Unfortunately that is only a partial workaround.

It does add the music library to Sonos.

However none of the iTunes playlists have any content listed. 

I get the error “unable to browse music”.

I can’t actually remember if I ever had my iTunes playlists show up in Sonos...I just made most of my playlists in Sonos...

I have dozen of playlists in iTunes.

It appears that the new Sonos iOS app has deprecated playlists.  You can see them, but you can edit them, and you can’t make new ones.

I received the 913 error too (windows 11; controller, 16.3, OS: S2. After removing the music library from Sonos; I could not readd the local music library. What worked for me is right clicking on the music folder, then select: properties, select the sharing tab and click “Advanced Sharing.” Make sure “Share this folder” is active; click “Permissions,” and make sure the group “Everyone” has “Full Control,” “Change,” and “Read” access to the folder. 

I was able to add the local music library and play music from it.