Battery drain on Android app 9.0.1

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

77 replies

I am having the exact same issue - Sonos apps uses all my battery life, even when I am not using the app and out of range of a speaker. I uninstalled the app and my batter issues were immediately fixed. Sonos needs to address this ASAP.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
It's really bad when you have this problem - I know I had it for ages last summer / autumn.
Make sure you don't use adaptive storage with the SD card. That was the problem for my MotoG5. It might not be the same problem for you though.
I now have a Google Pixel XL (no SD card slot), on Android 9. Not had any problems at all. Sonos is not on the battery radar.
It all seems a bit random as to what Phone and what Android OS with Sonos will cause the problem to show though. One thing for sure is it's Sonos 🙂
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I am with SonosOneSteve here, make sure the App is not using the SD card and are you on the latest version of the App. When you reinstall the app I would suggest power cycling the phone first. Android seems to keep some information about an app in memory when it is uninstalled. Interestingly I had the very same problem with the Amazon Alexa app and had to stop using it on my phone. I have no idea what the fix for that is but currently it is not an issue as my second echo dot has died - is it just my bad luck or are the 2nd edition versions of the dot a bit flakey?
I had to uninstall Sonos from my Android, because it drained thé batterie really fast. I already wanted to install a new battery, but without the Sonos app there's no more need for that.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I have a Google Pixel 3 running Android 10 and the SONOS app still eats battery. But when I kill it on my Pixel it stays dead. So I just set up what I want to play, adjust stuff, then kill the app. Crappy way to get things done but it works.
Next time you run into the battery drain problem, why not submit a diagnostic, and let Sonos know. Maybe there would be something in it that will help them track down the issue?

It would at least give them some specifics about your system which might help them recreate this issue in their QA department.
Also seeing this on my s10+ and have finally deleted the app as been like it for weeks now. +10% at least a day and its not even been opened
Exactly the same issue. I've tried anything to reduce the battery consumption, without any acceptable result.. any idea about it?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Yes I thought it would be quiet at the weekend. Thanks for your reply - it wouldn't have occurred to me to use Twitter.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Same behavior on my Samsung Galaxy S5 (Android). Battery life has plummeted since recent release.
Phone has been on for < 8 hours & the Sonos app has depleted 21% of battery.
diagnostic number is 1377965854
I agree the battery life has decreased. I am typically below 40% at bedtime compared to above 50% with Nougat. Could be this is the price for improved performance
I wonder how that's possible. Unless the act of a force close isn't actually closing the app. Wish I knew more about how the Android OS works.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I installed 8.6 app from the link above.
Even after 1hr I can't see Sonos in my battery usage list!
Screen is at 5%! Sonos less than 1% a no show.
Batt life is not an issue.
I know this version will be fine on my phone all day.
As a seasoned SW / test engineer and manager in telecoms infrastructure
I know this is not rocket science haha. The 9.0.1 app could never have been tested properly on different Android versions / common phones.
Must be so simple to trace this back and see where the code went wrong in 9.0.X.

Sonos tech support should testing older versions and advising customers to try the suitable older version!

There i've given you a good temp fix!
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
2 hours in. No Sonos 8.6 App battery use showing on my Android 7.0 Moto G5. I've left the app running in the background the whole time.
Screen now at 7%!
Just posting to say "me too". Had to uninstall v9 as my phone wasn't making it thru the day. Have now installed v8.6 and all is well again. If only there was an option to turn off updates completely.........:?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
That's good Gybe.
I've been running 8.6 all day. It doesn't feature on the battery usage list, so it's less than 1%.
Complete contrast to 9.0.1!
Go figure..

Yes the update reminders are annoying but only happened to me when I first opened the app, so not that often.

Will look into how to turn them off.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I'm on a Sony Z5 - same symptoms :-(

What Android version of that running?

The only functionality loss I've noticed so far from 9.0.1 to 8.6 is that you can't adjust the speaker EQ, bass, treble, Loudness from the phone app.
There may be others though.

I'm on my second day of v8 6. Batt drain totally resolved for me on Android 7.0.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Well I'll be ....
Sometime late on today my Sonos up re-updated itself to 9.0.1!
I noticed Sonos using 14% of batt Vs 12% screen. Uninstall quick!!
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
How to stop Android auto updates..

Android
By default, Android apps downloaded from the Google Play Store are automatically updated.

To turn updates on or off, follow these steps:

Open Google Play.
Tap the hamburger icon (three horizontal lines) on the top-left.
Tap Settings.
Tap Auto-update apps.
To disable automatic app updates, select Do not auto-update apps.
google play auto update
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I decided to trial a Beam. Nice sound for TV / film watching.
Had to update the App to 9.0.1 to install and setup. Yikes, battery drain on phone is huge! Uninstall and back to 8.6 asap!

Any news on a fix Sonos?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Come on Sonos. Have the courtesy to at least update us.
This is not an isolated incident.
9.0.1 is a pathogen on some versions of Android. We need a fix!
Badge
I have had to "Force stop" Sonos regularly as my battery life went from about 36 hours down to 6 or 7 with Sonos running. every time I stopped it I sent in a report so pretty frustrating this is still going on, the update should just have been rolled back. I have been having a play with the app and found that if I start Sonos during the day from the Forced Stop the battery life seems not to suffer as if I dont use the app then it is only a couple of percent, but if I switch the phone off then on Sonos starts eating the battery, particularly if I go straight into another app after switch on such as BBC news. I suspect that at start up Sonos is trying to do something before the system is fully started and getting a failure, then never recovers and just keep retrying and failing until you actually run the app, this idea is backed up by the very high CPU usage of what is actually an "inactive" app.I have just uninstalled it and reinstalled and now it wont connect to my system. Come on SORT IT OUT
Same behavior on my Samsung Galaxy S5 (Android). Battery life has plummeted since recent release.
Phone has been on for < 8 hours & the Sonos app has depleted 21% of battery.

I've just deleted the app on my S5. From 100% to 65% of battery in 3 hours. 13% by SONOS. 3% by the screen. Hopefully this will be solved quickly.
Does sonos have any update on this, its been a month and I'm still having to use 8.6 due to version 9 killing battery in half a day