Answered

Apple Silicon Support

• 22 December 2020
  • 42 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

42 replies

Sonos doesn’t release timelines for software development. 

Are you running in to speed issues on your controller?

Badge

Still no chances to get an Apple Silicon native controller application?

No. 

Badge

No. 

Clear and concise 🙂

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The only chance for a native controller is if Apple stop supporting Intel code generation in XCode, but I haven’t seen any timeline for such a step. Would likely be after the last MacOS update for Intel devices.

Apple Silicon has been available in production for been over two years, it is simply a lack of focus now. 

64-bit Windows has been available for over a decade, but there is still no 64-bit Sonos app for it, despite almost no-one running 32-bit Windows these days. Windows on ARM has existed for longer than “Apple Silicon”, still no version for that either.

Why is there no version for 64-bit or ARM Windows? Well #1 because the desktop controllers are in life-support maintenance mode only, and #2 because the emulation layers on all these platforms work well enough. Apple is no different in this regard.

You are right and this makes sense overall. Companies face these development decisions all the time. 

Badge +1

Unfortunately the iPad app is not available on M1 Macs. I will be emailing Sonos urging them to support M1 Macs sooner rather than later. 

I highly recommend the new M1 Macs, I’ve had an M1 MacBook Air for a few days now and it runs miles around my 2019 Intel MacBook Pro.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

-Brandon

you can use iMazing to download, then export and side load the iOS app, it works flawlessly

This really sours me on Sonos. I have damn near every product they make apart from the newer Era stuff, but this might be the end of the line for me. The mobile apps are starting to show their age as well!

Apple makes it stupid easy to port these things over though, all it usually takes is a recompile. I hate that desktop software is now just a second class citizen. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If your device of choice doesn’t have much market share you won’t see a lot of interest at Sonos in spending money to support it.

For me it is Linux. Fortunately I have found a couple options from outside developers that meet my needs. Go looking, you might find something for your Mac.

“Sonos isn’t expending much energy on desktop controllers”… They don’t need to put much energy into it, they just need to recompile with the latest XCode version (13), that’s it.

Do they really want us to hack the iPad app and use that one??!!

I know, the old app runs with Rosetta2, but you don’t want that. It’s not like some wrote here, Intel/AMD chips… they have compatible instruction sets, Rosetta2 is an Intel emulator written in ARM.

So yes Sonos, please release an update.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I appreciate your response. It dawned on me this morning that I can install the iPad app and try that. I recall reading somewhere that most iPad apps run quite well on the new Macs. I will install it today and update this thread with the results.

Two years later… Sonos cannot be bothered to recompile the app?

I’d be interested. I’ve not yet picked up an M1 device, but it is in my future. 

Yah, no more sonos $$$ for me.  The lack of M1 desktop support, general DT apathy, and speaker priorities don’t really align well with a lot of what I value.  Maybe fewer lawyers and a couple of engineers who can recompile code for M1?

Catch 22?  No desktop app for Apple Silicon or W64, and the stats say no one uses desktop app.  Funny that.

I can’t speak for Apple users, but I’ll wager most Windows users cannot tell the difference between a 32-bit or a 64-bit app. The WOW (Windows-on-Windows) subsystem has long made the difference invisible.

Right.  Let the DT software just rot in place. Ask pandora how that’s working out for them. Mobile controllers are nice, unless i’m sitting at my desk in front of my computer.  

Catch 22?  No desktop app for Apple Silicon or W64, and the stats say no one uses desktop app.  Funny that.