Answered

Apple Music Lossless on the new app

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
  • Enthusiast II
  • 57 replies

Not a fan of the new app, but I listened to a playlist on Apple Music this morning. And a saw a Lossless logo on one of the songs. It came and went and hasn’t showed up for other songs, but thought it was interesting. 

Is lossless playback coming?  Was it already here and I missed it?

icon

Best answer by Nollind 14 May 2024, 18:55

View original

35 replies

Does the update to the speakers allow lossless via Airplay 2? I would prefer to use the Sonos app but I’m a victim of the ‘not encoded correctly’ bug that has rendered a number of my purchases from Apple unplayable via the Sonos app.

Airplay doesn’t support Apple Lossless AFAIK

It’s such a shame. I have so many playlists where certain tracks, some purchased some ripped, just won’t play. I’ve dying for lossless from Apple to come in too.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Actually Sonos first supported Apple Lossless 18 years ago in Version 1.3.

Userlevel 3
Badge

It would be good if Sonos could provide a list of supported devices, I’ve been unable to get lossless to work with a Era100 stereo pair and Gen 2 Sub. Remove the Sub and lossless works, could be the gen 2 sub just isn't supported.

Yeah you would think they could provide that, put it in the release notes etc. 

I’m also having a lot of issues with Apple Lossless. I can get it to play but initial issues: pausing, skipping tracks are delayed. Can’t use the slider to advance in the song reliably. Lots of audio glitches. Would prefer to use lossy while they fix the bugs tbh. 

I’m experiencing something similar. Apple Lossless seems to work on Move and a fairly new Amp (v 1.24.1.19-1.2) but not on older Amps (v. 1.17.3.1-1.1) or older Ports/Connect (v. 1.17.5.5-1.1). I contacted Sonos about this but support was useless. They cited ‘latency’ as the culprit vs. compatibility. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Does the update to the speakers allow lossless via Airplay 2? I would prefer to use the Sonos app but I’m a victim of the ‘not encoded correctly’ bug that has rendered a number of my purchases from Apple unplayable via the Sonos app.

I would rather use the native Apple Music app over the Sonos app as I can add artists and tracks as well as do simple things like shuffle all my tracks in Songs. 

does anyone know if using the native Apple Music app allows lossless audio to Sonos equipment? 

I would rather use the native Apple Music app over the Sonos app as I can add artists and tracks as well as do simple things like shuffle all my tracks in Songs. 

does anyone know if using the native Apple Music app allows lossless audio to Sonos equipment? 

Airplay to Sonos speakers via Apple Music (or any service) is not lossless afaik. But I’m interested to know as well if this is still correct with the Apple Lossless on Sonos 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Does anyone know whether only certain speakers will play Apple Music Lossless? When I play on my Ray soundbar the lossless symbol shows up but not on my symfonisk lamps?

Yes Sonos has only added this for certain speakers. Not supported on Playbase and “a few others”

Did a list of ‘the few others’  ever get posted anywhere? I’m enjoying the Apple Lossless, but stream stops and restarts sometimes without lossless logo, when I add another speaker to group, I think its when I add a Play:1, but not 100% sure.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Definitely stops streaming lossless (or at least the badge immediately disappears) if I add my Play:1 to any song already streaming with the lossless badge.

I can airplay form Apple Music to a group of speakers that includes the Play:1 (not airplay compatible on its own, has to be grouped with airplay compatible speakers) and the lossless badge remains and continues playing to all speakers in lossless via Apple Music 🤷🏼‍♂️

A clear list of the speakers that won’t do lossless would be helpful.

Can we toggle OFF the Lossless playback from Apple? My system (14 devices) on the new software/firmware does not work with Apple Music now. Constant drop outs, some rooms won’t play at all once they drop (never come back), some never start playing to beginwith. I have far less issues playing SiriusXM (not perfect, but 90% success lately). I’ve spent 6-7 hours tweaking network settings, resetting devices, trying SonosNet vs all WiFi… I get the same result. 

Am I relegated to waiting on an app update and praying? 

Can we toggle OFF the Lossless playback from Apple? My system (14 devices) on the new software/firmware does not work with Apple Music now. Constant drop outs, some rooms won’t play at all once they drop (never come back), some never start playing to beginwith. I have far less issues playing SiriusXM (not perfect, but 90% success lately). I’ve spent 6-7 hours tweaking network settings, resetting devices, trying SonosNet vs all WiFi… I get the same result. 

Am I relegated to waiting on an app update and praying? 

Yeah we need to wait for Sonos to work out the bugs. Im pretty sure it’s not wifi network/bandwidth as I get some skipping on my wired port and amp when ungrouped, As well as other wireless speakers.