Android Controllers and Setup, past the CR100 brick

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

112 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5
Lenovo Tab 7 Essential, connects to the SonosNet no problem (HHID_xxxxxx)
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
It is also Pretty slick, speed wise
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Like the Magnetic cables and the Sliding stand thanks guys!

Yes you can set security (Standard Android options) on the Lenovo Tab, So I assume that means PIN, But I haven't tried as I wanted it open and quick to access.

Actually what I meant was " screen pinning" the Sonos App. This is a feature available on android devices running Lollipop 5.0 and above. It means that the pinned app is the only one available on the device. You have to enter a PIN to get to any OTHER apps you might have on the device, but not to get to the pinned app.

The Sonos support note on how to do this:
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3241/kw/Guided%20access

doesn't tell you that actually it won't work on the Amazon Fire 7 (because Amazon have played about with the OS). If it works on your Lenovo Tab then it could be pretty useful.
I’ve been using two Nexus 7s (2012 models) for a good 4 years now as dedicated Sonos controllers.

They have dedicated docks as well that charge wirelessly and can be locked to Sonos if required or just left to run Sonos without a screensaver or password so you’re left with an always on device that has little or no delays in activation.

Of course there are no hardware buttons but unless someone cobbles something together in a shed that will always be the case in this day and age.

Works well if you want something dedicated and can be picked up cheap and with custom firmwares available they are not locked down like many brand new cheap tablets like the Fire tablets have proven to be
Nexus 7 (2012) doesn't come with wireless charging, but does have side contacts for the dock. With Android 5.1 they tend to be sluggish, but a pinned Sonos app just about works okay. Use Tasker for setting the display timeout to large values if required, and for auto-locking when placed in the dock.

Nexus 7 (2013) has Qi wireless charging and remains pretty quick with Android 6.
When in the dock the Nexus 7 charges without a wire or cable anywhere near the tables charging port. Not sure how you’d classify that but as far as I am concerned it is charging WITHOUT wires.

I also never stated it worked in the QI standard.

I’m using it on a custom Lineage OS 7.1.2 Nougat firmware that runs like it did when it was new (so I’ve been told) and it’s faultless and is far better than the previous official firmwares it had been running on.

No slow down. No crashes. Everything I need on it runs perfectly which is the Sonos app which works like a dream on it.
When in the dock the Nexus 7 charges without a wire or cable anywhere near the tablet itself. Not sure how you’d classify that but as far as I am concerned it is charging WITHOUT wires.
There's an unbroken electrical circuit. 'Wireless charging' is commonly understood to imply magnetic induction.
I would say most people you ask would say wireless charging it a way of charging without connecting a wire to a device.

Anyway. My point stands. It charges in a DOCK wirelessley and works flawlessly on a custom firmware.

I have it here right in front of me as I type and KNOW it’s working well as a dedicated and standalone Sonos controller.

I know a lot of drone users like the 2013 model as it’s great for flying with and again works well with a custom firmware.

I do however believe that there wasn’t a wireless charging dock available in the same way that the 2012 model worked so it’s not quite as “perfect” in use
You might want to clean your connections as both of mine work each and every time they are re-docked.

I agree QI charging actually works better as a technology BUT there isn’t a dock that works in the same way that I’ve seen
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
Do all Android tablets have the ability to connect via SonosNet? Or is there something in the specs I will have to check, if so what is that?

I currently only have iOS Controllers (and CR100 + 200). Since I'm freezing my system and taking it off my regular wifi I'm interested in a solution where I can control it via Android and SonosNet since not all settings are available in the CR's.

These are three tablet's I've read about but I'm not sure if the can connect directly to SonosNet:
Amazon Fire
lenovo Tablet
Nexus 7
Do all Android tablets have the ability to connect via SonosNet?
They should do. The controller simply writes the SSID/key of the hidden SonosNet SSID into the Android WiFi settings. iOS doesn't permit this manoeuvre.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Actually what I meant was " screen pinning" the Sonos App. This is a feature available on android devices running Lollipop 5.0 and above. It means that the pinned app is the only one available on the device. You have to enter a PIN to get to any OTHER apps you might have on the device, but not to get to the pinned app.

The Sonos support note on how to do this:
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3241/kw/Guided%20access

doesn't tell you that actually it won't work on the Amazon Fire 7 (because Amazon have played about with the OS). If it works on your Lenovo Tab then it could be pretty useful.

Oooh sounds good, Ok this new to me so I will have a play tomorrow!
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Do all Android tablets have the ability to connect via SonosNet? Or is there something in the specs I will have to check, if so what is that?

I currently only have iOS Controllers (and CR100 + 200). Since I'm freezing my system and taking it off my regular wifi I'm interested in a solution where I can control it via Android and SonosNet since not all settings are available in the CR's.

These are three tablet's I've read about but I'm not sure if the can connect directly to SonosNet:
Amazon Fire
lenovo Tablet
Nexus 7

My amazon fire does connect to sonosnet. But you can’t pin app to lock or home screen. Best you can do is set it not time out for 30 mins. After that screen locks and you have to reopen app.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
Amazon Fire 10 and Lenovo Tab 7 Essential (Android 7) both definitely connect to Sonos Net, I'd be surprised if the Nexus didn't.
Amazon Fire 10 and Lenovo Tab 7 Essential (Android 7) both definitely connect to Sonos Net, I'd be surprised if the Nexus didn't.I agree. Really any Android device should do - it was only because I had trouble with the Fire, and the Fire's Android is a bit non-standard, that I wondered if there might be issues. It seems even that might be something local to my setup.

Hopefully, if nothing else, this will have raised awareness of this capability in Android controllers.

Amazon Fire
lenovo Tablet
Nexus 7

My amazon fire does connect to sonosnet. But you can’t pin app to lock or home screen. Best you can do is set it not time out for 30 mins. After that screen locks and you have to reopen app.
If you have the Sonos app open on the Fire, do you have a Sonos widget visible on the lock screen, that requires a single tap to return to the open Sonos app, and of itself has play/pause and skip buttons? I do, but I honestly cannot remember if I did anything to put it there or it was just there
If you have the Sonos app open on the Fire, do you have a Sonos widget visible on the lock screen, that requires a single tap to return to the open Sonos app, and of itself has play/pause and skip buttons? I do, but I honestly cannot remember if I did anything to put it there or it was just there
Lock-screen notification/controls are enabled by default. If not required they can be explicitly disabled in Advanced Settings.
Lock-screen notification/controls are enabled by default. If not required they can be explicitly disabled in Advanced Settings.
Thanks @ratty.
I also note that in lock screen mode, with the Sonos app open (beneath the lock screen), Sonos volume is still controllable by the Fire's physical volume control..
I also note that in lock screen mode, with the Sonos app open (beneath the lock screen), Sonos volume is still controllable by the Fire's volume physical volume control..
And with the screen asleep in fact. No need to wake the display to tweak the volume.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Thanks @ratty.
I also note that in lock screen mode, with the Sonos app open (beneath the lock screen), Sonos volume is still controllable by the Fire's physical volume control..

Mine goes to sleep after 30-minutes, the only way to wake it is to press the hard button near the power input. The screen that appears is just a big Amazon advert, with a little unlock padlock at the bottom. I have the cheaper let Amazon brainwash you version. I believe this can be turned off (for a small cost), do you have the brainwash version or non-brainwash? I don't have a PIN set.

I have everything selected in Sonos Device allowing stuff on lock screens. The volume buttons now do seem to control the app after I have pressed the lock button I am sure they didn't so will have to retest next time it goes 30-minutes and times out to see if still does it then but a manual sleep/lock seems to allow it. This speeds up silencing music when phone rings.

I have a throw away stand that came from an exhibition, it needs more weight as poking the screen starts to tip it over. That is sortable. I have also order two magnetic USB cables being delivered later today.

I have removed the CR100 from my desk so currently using just this as test!
You can easily turn off sleep when charging, thus avoiding the lock screen. You need to turn on the developers options, then select the proper setting from the new developers option menu. To enable developer options, go to Device Options on the Settings menu and tap on the Serial Number entry 7 times in a row. The new developers options menu will then appear.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Here is my lockscreen

Don't recall a brainwash vs non-brainwash decision! :)

A tap on the control gets me into my already-open Sonos app.

On the cheaper Fires at least there is an option to pay even less and get ads streamed to the lock screen. Saved £10 on the device cost. Ours was bought and loaded with kids programmes for a holiday in (2015) for use at airport/airplane/resort, since then it has sat in the drawer as quite frankly it doesn't quite match up to the iPad experience. I know it was on special at the time so cost something like £35 and I viewed it like the cost of two DVDs.

It can be turned off for £10, there is also a jailbreak methodology, but will put a call in and ask nicely.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
The volume buttons now do seem to control the app after I have pressed the lock button I am sure they didn't so will have to retest next time it goes 30-minutes and times out to see if still does it then but a manual sleep/lock seems to allow it.
This capability may be sensitive to the smart power setting, which claims to disable WiFi when not required.

Aaah, makes sense, I was fiddling with power stuff yesterday, in an effort to hold off sleep, so that may have done it. Although I don't really want it on all the time, would OK for my office but not for the bedroom, plus screen burn and energy use would be downsides.

I have a throw away stand that came from an exhibition, it needs more weight as poking the screen starts to tip it over.

I like this one.

Hopefully the least of my worries! The fire still looks budget, and the test stand has already been weighted down with plasticine - thanks kids.

I suspect the final version will be a more premium tablet, ideally with Qi charging, and an angled Qi charger stand similar to what you posted. All the offerings so far have been for kit that is 2012/2013. I would rather a new tablet that once I'm happy with I can just order 3, with stands etc all together. Trying to buy 5-year old kit off eBay seems a pain.

Even better would be the ability to exit the app, on a temporary basis to use other stuff, with automatic return to Sonos on sleep. And a motion sensor! But I'll not hold my breath.

Thanks for the input.
Dave
Just a note: While the Fire tablets are good, cheap, and will run the Sonos app just fine, they are not eligible for beta because Amazon requires a special build. So if you run beta now, or ever intend to sign up for a public beta, your Fire tablet will not be able to load the beta software.

Edit: I stand corrected. If you remove the standard application and download the beta directly from the beta site, it will load. You just cannot load the beta from the update screen on the non-beta app.
It can be turned off for £10, there is also a jailbreak methodology, but will put a call in and ask nicely.Ah this does ring a bell now. I think I asked nicely and they removed the ads without charge, so worth a shot.