Amazon Music HD/UHD Confusion

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

54 replies

For $89, there’s finally a device that offers some real competition to Sonos.  Competition is always a good thing.

Sounds just the thing for folks that don’t want expensive speakers with bundled smarts, that become obsolete just because the smart tech has moved on to a better place, making the whole speaker obsolete.

PS: Above said, and if one were to look beyond the Hi Res Kool Aid, what will this do that the much cheaper Echo Dot cannot?

It has an optical output, which is bit-perfect up to 24/192, to drive a quality DAC. 

Seems a bit strange then that the user manual says:

Audio Sound Quality

Audio Input: up to 192 kHz, 24-bit

Audio Output: 48 kHz, 16-bit, CD quality

There was a firmware update earlier this year, they probably never got round to updating the manual, you have to scroll down as they have been busy,

https://wiimhome.com/releaseNote

Ah, right.

It also has a highly responsive development team, which has its modules and firmware in millions of devices already, including Yamaha sound bars and Edifier smart speakers. In short, Linkplay, the WiiM owner, is not going away anytime soon. 

Very interesting; will there be a Big Bang launch event? Soon?

It’s been on Amazon since late September.  It’s already at #10 on the best-sellers list for its category, which unfortunately includes a bunch of cheapo Bluetooth receivers.  Ahead of the Echo Link and other  WiFi streamers, though it’s not an exhaustive list.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Electronics-Wireless-Audio-Receivers-Adapters/zgbs/electronics/10110414011

It’s been on Amazon since late September.  It’s already at #10 on the best-sellers list for its category, which unfortunately includes a bunch of cheapo Bluetooth receivers. 

I had a look; since I do not use HD in any form or manner, I don't see it replacing my Echo Dots/Shows that are wired into various Sonos line in jacks. About the only thing that may be of use is the Airplay capability, but even there I don’t see any pressing need since my Spotify app can go one better by casting from the native app to Echo, with album art present where Echo Show is used, and removing itself from the music play as soon as the stream is directed to Echo.

You’re getting lossy streaming that way. The WiiM can, in beta, do lossless streaming from Amazon Music. I personally wouldn’t accept anything less than CD standard lossless FLAC. The CD standard has been around since the 1980s. Why accept anything less?

It also does lossless from Qobuz and Tidal in-app, and Tidal Connect and Spotify Connect from their native apps.  It can participate in Alexa groups, and in AirPlay groups.  Unlike most AirPlay devices, it can do bit-perfect lossless, up to 16/44.1 CD quality, over AirPlay.

BTW, I can visualize anything playing on the WiiM too, using a simple Python script I wrote and a raspberry pi Zero. As it’s a full-fledged Alexa-enabled device, it will also work from a Show, including via voice control - in lossless FLAC, unlike the Dot.