A linux controller is needed.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

258 replies

Please provide a Linux controller or an API to work with.
+ 1

both my office (5 users) and my home devices (4 PCs/laptops) run either Ubuntu or Mint.
Indeed... they are obligated to do something - give the community the resource and it will be done.
I just want to add my voice to those requesting a Linux Controller. Please, guys! Do it for world peace!
I'm disappointed that Sonos has taken this stance. Although I am new to Linux, and I could continue to control my Sonos with mobile, or a windows computer, there is a point of principle here that makes me inclined to switch to another music play system. Shame on you sonos.
In the mean time, if you possess a NAS drive such as that from Synology, you can simply install 'audio station' and then use 'audio station's' media player to stream your music straight to your sonos- device(s). The media player is pretty basic (at least compared to the likes of amarok or rhythmbox), but it supports playlists, cover art, radio stations, some streaming services, catches lyrics and.... most importantly ...  is not affected by the 65,000 songs barrier.
I would suggest to add a specific clause to the GNU license which forbids companies to use it, if they do nothing in return.
Was about to spend 400€ in two play 1 when the vendor told me that was not compatible with linux. If you don't want to develop a client for whatever reason, you could open the API so that the linux community can develop it !
Adding my voice to those who ask for a Linux version of the controller.
As we only use LINUX in our home, I really need a config solution for our SONOS products!
So PLEASE get us one, this should be quite easy!!!
++++1
A bit of double-talk there. Of course there is not and likely WILL not be the same numbers of users of a native Linux Sonos controller. That is never why ANY software was EVER developed for Linux. If you truly believe in it, and do in fact use it to power such a portion of your company, then in fact I would say that you OWE it to the community to create such an application. As you well know, in this world, maintaining it, if you release it correctly, can well take care of itself.
I love Sonos after just a month owning them, but this post is very very disappointing and feels disingenuous. Boo.
Sonos, please do! It's not just for Linux desktop users, but anyone wanting to build an embedded system (for which Linux is much better than Windows) incorporating a Sonos system. It's also not that hard if you compile against Wine (for C++ applications) or Mono (for .net applications) and you can use the same codebase if you work around the older headers or features missing from the Linux platform. Or you could build your desktop app using a portable framework such as QT or WxWidgets that allows you to build the same software for Windows, Linux and Mac from a single codebase.
++++1
A bit of double-talk there. Of course there is not and likely WILL not be the same numbers of users of a native Linux Sonos controller. That is never why ANY software was EVER developed for Linux. If you truly believe in it, and do in fact use it to power such a portion of your company, then in fact I would say that you OWE it to the community to create such an application. As you well know, in this world, maintaining it, if you release it correctly, can well take care of itself.
I love Sonos after just a month owning them, but this post is very very disappointing and feels disingenuous. Boo.
Userlevel 2
Sonos, please do! It's not just for Linux desktop users, but anyone wanting to build an embedded system (for which Linux is much better than Windows) incorporating a Sonos system. It's also not that hard if you compile against Wine (for C++ applications) or Mono (for .net applications) and you can use the same codebase if you work around the older headers or features missing from the Linux platform. Or you could build your desktop app using a portable framework such as QT or WxWidgets that allows you to build the same software for Windows, Linux and Mac from a single codebase.
Please, dear Sonos people, listen not only to your fantastic system, buy also to our questions, pleas and wishes.
+1 please take the time to make this work on linux.
This is really too bad, as I will not choose Sonos products for this very reason. I have nothing but Linux in my home. Open source the controller and let the community write and maintain it.
I am looking at home sound system, but not having web or PC control is a drawback for Sonos.
Most boxes in my home are Windows, but my music server (music stored on and connected to my current sound system for web music) is Linux.  

Not having Linux or web interface will slow me down as I wait to see which solution develops.  Someone will eventually come out with a system which will have the features I'm looking for before I buy.
Userlevel 2
I'm no expert but my understanding of Android is that it runs on top of a version of Linux.  So if seems like it should be fairly simple to adapt the Android version of Sonos  to Linux.  Perhaps Sonos might open source the Android version so the linux community can do it themselves?  I'm sick and tired of running it of my phone and draining the phone battery.  Come on Sonos do something for your linux users, sheeesh.
buy another controller which is usability for linux now
One of the main reasons I chose to invest in Sonos over the competition was the ability to run the controller on my Linux boxes, I had planned on expanding my Sonos system again this year. I'll be waiting for a Linux controller solution.
It probably won't make any difference, but I would like to add my support for this idea.
+1 to those who have suggested that Sonos "give back" to the Linux community which has enabled them to do so well, standing on the shoulders of giants.
Also, I would suggest that Sonos will never know how many of their valued customers run Linux, until they give us a native controller.
So come on Sonos, make it happen
yes Please create a linux client
give back a linux client, Its all give and take! 
If ou use linux that mush!!   wouldn't  this be a nice give back?  a linux client? 
was planning to purchase a sonos system for my house, but if no linux support its no use! have to go for another solution!  I downt think you know how big the linux community is,  and how technical linux users are. If you build a linux client, sonos will be the main system for linux users at home!   Sorry!!