8.2 Is Completely Frustratingly Awful

• 17 November 2017
  • 67 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

67 replies

We usually are quiet on what exactly is being worked on in many regards. When it comes to software there's a lot that can impact plans and timelines, so we try not to overshare.

The team has heard your criticism from the community and other places around the color changes. The contrast and colors are being looked into, but since I'm not certain what the final plan is, we can't speak to what will happen. It does have a lot of attention, however, and there are several options being reviewed and tested. That process takes time, and incorporating all feedback is important at every stage of development. With all app changes, we get lots of both positive and negative feedback. The team takes the time to review it all and design based on that.

Hi Ryan

It's nearly 3 weeks now and still no (meaningful) update.

We are nearing a busy time for Sonos whereby us (previously?) loyal customers would evangelise your products to visiting friends & family. From my perspective, that will not be happening this year. In fact, the opposite is true and I will be suggesting that people don't buy Sonos as the forced updates have taken the UI in a terrible direction.

Before I get flamed/trolled, I have worked for many years in software design and development including iOS, so I've got a fair idea on timescales here...

- Will you get rid of the white on white? That's so simple it's a farce you haven't done this already. Offer a theme choice - dark or light, that's all you need to do.
- Will you go back to the simple room/music navigation vs. the disconnected navigation at present?
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
There's definitely been a bit of a harsh learning curve with some of the changes, so I understand the frustration. I put a thread up here which outlines things for room changes a bit easier.

The team is hard at work taking into account your feedback. I can't speak to specific changes yet, but it's all being considered. After decisions are made, they have to implement and then go through a full testing phase. Some changes were released in 8.2, and more are likely to come in the next couple updates. I'll let you know as soon as there's more to share.

I think it is much much more than a "harsh learning curve" unfortunately. It is now so unintuitive to use, and has such a poor UI (with too many required swipes in all directions and non obvious hidden away functionality, it almost needs throwing away and starting again, maybe utilising the best of previous app designs as a start point. Version 7 was almost ok and would be a better baseline to build on. The "My Sonos" tab drives me nuts, to the point that I've now downloaded the SonoPhone & SonoPad Apps in order to get the nice straightforward "Favourites" list back.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
We usually are quiet on what exactly is being worked on in many regards. When it comes to software there's a lot that can impact plans and timelines, so we try not to overshare.

The team has heard your criticism from the community and other places around the color changes. The contrast and colors are being looked into, but since I'm not certain what the final plan is, we can't speak to what will happen. It does have a lot of attention, however, and there are several options being reviewed and tested. That process takes time, and incorporating all feedback is important at every stage of development. With all app changes, we get lots of both positive and negative feedback. The team takes the time to review it all and design based on that.
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
At dinner the other day I asked my wife to select and play a radio station in the Family Room zone. Gave up after five minutes. :(:(

All jokes aside. You would need to first go to “Rooms” tap on Family Room. Now that we have navigated that most complex task we would need to go to “Browse” and select the source for your Radio station - be it iHeart Radio, Tunein or whatever and you find your station as common sense would dictate. If you had it as a favorite you would also be able to access it through My Sonos. So “Browse” for looking for desired source or “My Sonos” for quick favourites.

Phew that was bloody difficult. :D:D
To use this app with little practical difficulty, you need to remember the following:

1. I use the tab bar to navigate. If I am on the Now Playing screen I need to swipe it down to see the tab bar.
2. To select a room, I tap the Rooms button and then the room. The Rooms screen also allows me to group rooms
3. To select music for that room, I tap Browse, Search or My Sonos, depending on how and where I want to choose my music.

That's it really. I hope that helps.
I wonder how some folks get out of bed in the mornings, lol. How do you make it through the day? Must be terribly frustrating to tie your shoes if such a well designed UI causes this much consternation!

BTW, have a look at Tidal's UI. It's nearly identical. And very well reviewed...
Userlevel 3
Badge
At dinner the other day I asked my wife to select and play a radio station in the Family Room zone. Gave up after five minutes. :(:(

These remarks continue to amuse me. How deep into the dinner party was this? Would everyone been able to pass the stand on one foot test??? Because a child would figure out the things that you guys all of a sudden can’t fathom how to do. :D

I didn’t insult your wife, please don’t insult mine.
It's a shame this has got rather personal. It is clear that some users are struggling to do the basics with the new app, such as selecting a room and some music to play in it. That doesn't make them stupid.

@penzzz - it really is straightforward to do what your wife wanted to do, once you know what is required. I think I have an idea why people are struggling, but let's just concentrate on what is needed.

(This may not be the reason your wife could not get Sonos to do what she wanted, but I offer it as a possibility.)

IMO, you need to avoid using the room selection thing that is on the Now Playing screen. Instead, just swipe down that screen, tap Rooms, then tap Living Room. That is the room selected.

Now for the music. Tap Browse, then Radio by Tunein, My Stations, then tap the station. (Assumes the station in in My Stations.)

The key thing is to use the tab bar to get to where you need. And use the Rooms screen for all your room selection and management.

I hope that helps.
Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Yes I agree.Nobody needs to feel stupid, unless it is whichever Sonos UI czar it is who is insisting upon form over function despite copious feedback and complaint.

Ok. So it is ok to insult the Sonos design team but Sonos users who come on here making clearly exaggerated claims that make zero sense and in some cases lying should not be challenged?????

Look I made a joke earlier in this post which may have been a bit inappropriate and I retract it. @penzzz

However I hold 200% to the view that there are many on these boards making overreaching comments, feigning ignorance etc all because they do not like the change. I ain’t tell you that you must like it. I get and understand a few of the concerns well but we should be measured and reasonable in our comments as well. Continue to state the specific issues you see and why you think they are issues as many times as you wish. But do not come on here asking to be taken seriously with “oh I can’t figure out anything”.
8.2 did break favourites and rendered that feature meaningless as far as Sonos playlists are concerned and that upset me more than any of the UI changes; I too am convinced that the latter can be learnt in a few minutes and in a couple of days of use, one can get used to them again. So many of the reactions seem over the top.

The problem as with any upgrade is that this gets compounded and the water then muddied by controller stability issues caused by IP address conflicts that arise after every upgrade where address reservation has not been done. And these are also attributed to the UI change, when these are two different issues. But controller instability + UI changes can make the system feel broken, for sure. But UI lagging and network going zombie as has been stated has NOTHING to do with the change in the UI.

Those that see flawless updates will not have so much trouble with just the UI change, I believe. If they give both the change and themselves a fair go at getting to know the changes.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
As John B has said many times in this forum, just stay well away from the red rooms function at the bottom of now playing screen, it creates all sorts of chaos, who knows where it will end up playing, and then getting things back drives everyone completely nuts 😠
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
I know how to use the new app. I can make it work. But after weeks of using it, I still despise the new app. I find myself creating shortcuts with Macronos on my Android devices to ease some of my frustrations. Too bad there is nothing nearly as good as Macronos for iOS devices.
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Well, having just convinced my partner to try Sonos, setting up play base and two play 1's (after some multiple re-attempts to even get the app to find the players) we find the app controller to be utterly non intuitive and creating sheer rage full frustration. Songs dropping out mid stream, then another random song starts, and stops. Or maybe it plays through. But what next? Tune-in channels start, stop. This, THIS! Is what I have been waiting to experience?!?! I just bought this system. It may well go right back in the box as I got two good hours of "this is awesome sound!" Before next day got up and all of a sudden the app did not "see" the play1's and it all went to hell. I am not the most technically apt person. But this is why I chose Sonos over Bose. I had heard how effortless it was. HA! The amount of effort and brow sweat I exerted over this is already testing my generally high patience levels.

You’re absolutely right about the app being non-intuitive. However, it’s highly unlikely that it is the cause of your problems with playing audio or setting up Sonos. It sounds like you’ve got a networking issue somewhere. If you search through these forums you’ll find lots of tips on how to resolve that. Often the problem is conflicting IP addresses, although there are other potential issues. Sonos actually does work very well once is it set up properly. The first thing you might want to do is to unplug your entire network and then start plugging everything back in, starting with the router and then working forward through any switches you might have and then the Sonos gear.
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
@mwiseman. I wouldn't disagree with that. But it sounded like it might be a factor here so worth asking

You're correct.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
There's definitely been a bit of a harsh learning curve with some of the changes, so I understand the frustration. I put a thread up here which outlines things for room changes a bit easier.

The team is hard at work taking into account your feedback. I can't speak to specific changes yet, but it's all being considered. After decisions are made, they have to implement and then go through a full testing phase. Some changes were released in 8.2, and more are likely to come in the next couple updates. I'll let you know as soon as there's more to share.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for the feedback, we're making sure to share with the team.

Just a note on search. If you press the search tab button at the bottom twice, it'll pull up the keyboard and you can start searching right there.

@Y2kExp, if you're having trouble, we'd love to help. I'd suggest giving us a call on our support line.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Thanks for the feedback, we're making sure to share with the team.

Just a note on search. If you press the search tab button at the bottom twice, it'll pull up the keyboard and you can start searching right there.

@Y2kExp, if you're having trouble, we'd love to help. I'd suggest giving us a call on our support line.

I've tried the double tap thing... Doesn't seem to do anything.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Actually, sometimes it does pull up the keyboard. But quite often not. Not sure when or why there's a difference.
Actually, sometimes it does pull up the keyboard. But quite often not. Not sure when or why there's a difference.In fact I think it is really two taps. First to highlight, second to get back to Now Playing And a single tap if the room is already the highlighted one. You may just have to refine your tapping technique!
Edit. Sorry didn't read thread carefully enough. My comment relates to room screen

I have found that tapping Browse or Search generally takes me into my last Browse or Search. A second tap takes me back to the 'root' Browse or Search
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Oh, yes! A series of taps on the search button walks you progressively back through your previous search 'journey'. Difficult to find but good when you know how!
Userlevel 6
Badge +7

These remarks continue to amuse me. How deep into the dinner party was this? Would everyone been able to pass the stand on one foot test??? 😃
Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Get a Dot.
“Alexa, play station KMHD in the family room”
OK

Done

There you go. That works too. Options Options!!!
Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Get a Dot.
“Alexa, play station KMHD in the family room”
OK

Done

There you go. That works too. Options Options!!!

No, it ducks the rest of the house and evertone is unhappy.
In addition, I've found that getting around is much easier if one doesn't keep going back to the full now playing screen. Keep it down at the bottom and tab, tab, tab from Rooms to Browse to My Sonos. After the music is playing, then extend the now playing to full screen.
It has to be frustrating and Sonos is adding to the fire by rolling out updates this frequently.

Power down all units including router and modem. First repower to reboot the modem, then the router, then wired to router Sonos units and then all wireless units including devices that host controllers. Before every "then", wait till reboot of units in that step is complete.

That should flush out IP address issues. If music now starts, consider reserving IP addresses to prevent recurrence after future upgrades.