Answered

14.18 Broke Desktop Volume Controller

• 19 October 2022
  • 75 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

The update to 14.18 seems to have broken the volume controller on the desktop app (Windows 11).  While I can still adjust the overall volume of a particular group with the top slide, the pop-up sliders that allow me to control the volume of the speakers within the group individually are no longer functional. 

I have confirmed that all of my speakers, as well as the apps on my phone and desktop all updated to 14.18. The sliders are working normally on my phone.

icon

Best answer by jstory 15 November 2022, 19:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

75 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Master T et al

We are aware of this issue and are working on a fix.

Userlevel 2

Sonos just release an update today 11/15/2022. Update Version 14.19 / Build: 70335070 appears to have fixed this problem for me.

Userlevel 2

Two weeks since the update broke the sliders - and yes, various issues with the controller have gotten worse over time. Would love to know when this is going to get fixed.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have approximately $4400 worth of speakers in my house and several computers in the house.
It’s not very practical to use android controller.
I would honestly like to know when we can expect a fix/update to volume problem to version 14.18 of windows desktop contoller.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Corry at Sonos, can you please explain why the Sonos Escalation Team has replied that this issue is NOT expected to be addressed till YEAR END???!!!!   WHAT??? 

Sonos, you broke this important key controller issue, PLEASE FIX IT NOW!!!  

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Sonos just release an update today 11/15/2022. Update Version 14.19 / Build: 70335070 appears to have fixed this problem for me.

It has for me as well.

Hi @Master T et al

3 days later and still working on a fix? Not only should something like this not happen if there is a proper QA but more importantly the quickest and appropriate fix would be to downgrade all systems to the previous version that used to work just fine. Sometimes I loathe having invested in Sonos.

Oh the drama. It is weekend and as the PC controller isn’t as essential to controlling Sonos as the Android and iOS apps are we’ll have to wait patiently.

We have exactly the same problem on three separate Sonos systems - one at work and at two homes.

It speaks to seriously inadequate software testing if such a bug in something this basic is allowed through to general release; and it’s very dissonant with Sonos’ “high-end” positioning.

Quite amazing.

Userlevel 2

Try ungrouping them in the desktop app.  Then group them back up.  That happened to me yesterday and ungroup regroup ‘fixed’ it, sorta.  Once grouped the one I grouped on Office for me, i couldnt control the volume or mute in the Windows app but the rest I could. 

Userlevel 2

Mac seemingly unaffected here.  I know I did try rebooting the laptop and no change.  Windows 10, MS Surface (older one).  All updated stuff via Mac desktop app.

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Try ungrouping them in the desktop app.  Then group them back up.  That happened to me yesterday and ungroup regroup ‘fixed’ it, sorta.  Once grouped the one I grouped on Office for me, i couldnt control the volume or mute in the Windows app but the rest I could. 

Yes, I’m seeing the same behavior now. It’s different from what I saw initially as well. I can now adjust the volume of all the individual speakers except the group controller. In the pop-up, the icon to the left is grayed out on the group controller, and the slider on “Office” won’t move.

I’d also be tempted to reboot the machine, i

I did reboot the desktop PC before my post this morning.

Diagnostic 1092604331

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I’m having the same issue. I can control the Group volume but not the individual room speakers.

Sonos please please fix this.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Yes, Bruce, sent diag multiple times regarding the zone syncing issue and according to the good folks with the Escalation Team, dev is aware of the problem.  It’s just so irritating when updates are NOT vetted properly and sent out to the very people that ultimately help this company exist (paying loyal customers).  With many of these updates, they fix one thing and break two.  We’re just tired of this nonsense.  TEST TEST TEST before your release SONOS!  

Sonos’ silence on this issue is deafening.  It is especially infuriating when trying to get other household members to embrace the PC controller.

SONOS...WHERE ARE YOU?!  (And no...”Sonos is aware of this problem and is working on it” isn’t satisfactory.  Would you kindly show a bit of respect to your userbase and let us know what is going on?)

Sonos’ silence on this issue is deafening.  It is especially infuriating when trying to get other household members to embrace the PC controller.

SONOS...WHERE ARE YOU?!  (And no...”Sonos is aware of this problem and is working on it” isn’t satisfactory.  Would you kindly show a bit of respect to your userbase and let us know what is going on?)

Sonos never gives details about future releases.  Ever.  You might as well scream at the wind. 

IBefore people start saying “reboot” or “its your network”, I can assure them that its not, I’ve been working in IT for about 20+ years so would hope I know what I’m doing by now).  

Evidently not, because the problem is with your network.

I always know when theres an update available for Sonos too as the system plays up more than usual for some reason.

That is preposterous.  How could that be?  I never have problems linked to updates.  Not even before they happen.

Would I recommend Sonos - not a chance.  I’m annoyed I’ve spent so much money on a system that used to be amazing but now is just a talking point (usually about how bad it is).

You need to get your network sorted out.  Please tell us about your setup.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Yes. Looking good

It appears to me that the current problems with this release affects the vast majority of users.  All users on the Windows controller and all IOS users have issues with this release. 

I wonder how Sonos expects to sell any new speakers to anyone knowing that the current version of the app doesn’t work properly. 

Adjusting the volume is THE ESSENTIAL function of a sound system controller.  There were many issues with the software before this, but this will bring sales to a crawl and bad publicity to every sonos forum out there.  Just in time holiday gift giving.

Before people start saying “reboot” or “its your network”, I can assure them that its not, I’ve been working in IT for about 20+ years so would hope I know what I’m doing by now).  

Troubleshooting will always start with some degree of “it might be this or it might be that”, its the joy of troubleshooting complex issues because you don’t know where they’re going to take you. 

LOL

Userlevel 1

Hi @Master T et al

3 days later and still working on a fix? Not only should something like this not happen if there is a proper QA but more importantly the quickest and appropriate fix would be to downgrade all systems to the previous version that used to work just fine. Sometimes I loathe having invested in Sonos.

@boogey . That is a reasonable analysis. Sonos does make greater demands on a network than a single device does. The network isn't necessarily faulty, but does have some setting or feature that makes it difficult or impossible for Sonos to work optimally.

For example, if a controller device connects to 5GHz and the speakers are on 2.4GHz, and the router does not bridge the two bands, then the app won't be able to find the speakers. A decent router will bridge the bands - but some don't. Is that a network fault or just a limitation? The router will serve many users without problems.  There are ways round this. I am not bothered whose 'fault' it is. It's a network issue requiring a network solution.

For the avoidance of doubt, I KNOW that the current problem with the desktop volume control is a Sonos bug. It was @Stuow who went off topic by complaining about the iOS app  

I’m using the “Phonos Universal for Sonos” app in the Microsoft store for now.  The grouped volume controls work correctly*.  Although the app has no setup features, it has all the needed Sonos control elements.

*The icon for the grouped volume controls is a bit wonky to find.  It is not next to the main volume control.  See second icon from the bottom right that looks like a list icon.

-

@loungebob . With a system as complex as Sonos, bug-free releases are probably unknown, although this is a bigger bug than one would hope to see sneak through. But it happens. Everywhere.

And you obviously haven't read the threads  oomplaining about updates being too frequent. The vast majority of users either don't ecer use the desktop app or can manage without it for a while. Nobody died.

I’d also be tempted to reboot the machine, if you haven’t already, to force a reset of the OS and the application, too. 

I’ve not seen this issue on the Mac side, but probably not an equivalency. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Does this make it somehow worse compared  to someone owning only a 100 dollar speaker? Does this entitle you to a better or earlier solution?

Yes because someone with a 100 dollar speaker doesn't have the problem? 😁

Isn't the issue related to group volume?