Answered

YouTube Music skipping tracks due to song not being encoded properly

• 1 February 2020
  • 82 replies

Show first post

82 replies

I have the same issue with Youtube Music. About 1/3 of songs skip, usually after less than 30 seconds.

Same issue in sweden. Using Google play music until youtube music is fixed.

Same issue in Norway and it happens A LOT. Lucky if I get to hear a 3rd of a YTM playlist.

Badge

Ive got the same problem over the last couple of days. I notice if Im using my iPad to select a playlist in Youtube Music and the iPad screen is on it will come up with those errors. if I close the iPad on the same songs, it won't have the error?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Sincere thanks for the quick response here.  Knowing that it's actively being worked is heartening.

Hey everyone. Thanks for the ongoing engagement with this thread.

Currently, the Sonos team is aware of this ongoing issue and we are still working on a resolution.

Feel free to continue posting replies to this thread as we appreciate your feedback and patience on this matter.

Once there is an update further, we will gladly update this thread as needed.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Agreed.   This is infuriating.  I don't know how or to whom this can be escalated.

Anyone have any ideas?

+1, been over a month now. Every song stops around 1/3... I even use Spotify free now in the meantime..

@Ryan S is there any update at all?  Any ETA for a fix?  A bug tracker open on google side we could be pointed to?  It’s really killing my experience at the moment because YouTube Music is my only paid music source I have, and 1 in 3 songs skips.

+1 on this.  I have been dealing with this for over a month now.  Extremely frustrating when songs skip - completely kills the experience.  

Would appreciate a speedy resolution SONOS

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

There’s still no timeline for the fix, but I’ll check in with the team.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

@Ryan S is there any update at all?  Any ETA for a fix?  A bug tracker open on google side we could be pointed to?  It’s really killing my experience at the moment because YouTube Music is my only paid music source I have, and 1 in 3 songs skips.

YouTube must still be working on the issue, as there is been no update from Ryan. 

Just want to add I'm having the same issue with YouTube Music. My other music services over Sonos work perfectly.  Btw I'm in Argentina.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I also have the same issue.  Very eager for any updates or recommendations for how to escalate this.   Since Google is inexplicably sunsetting Google Play Music and forcing us over to the inferior YouTube Music service it would be great if it functioned.
It's heartening that others share the issue though - increase odds of a solution at some point.

I can report having the same issue with YouTube Music. Any update on this?

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Ah thats really good to hear thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Those are the results I expected, @rbrown. It looks like you’re running into that issue I mentioned above. We’re working on it with YouTube Music, but due to it, some songs give an encoding error when you try to play them on Sonos. AirPlay has the stream accessed by the mobile device, not the Sonos device, and can play those songs correctly. I’ll let you know when there’s an update to the issue.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi @Ryan S 

I finally got around to testing this, when AirPlaying youtube from MacOSX it does not fail on any songs that I could find.

There is one song that always fails very quickly, usually within 5 seconds, and it played without any problem so I guess AirPlay works fine.

Does this help in any way with my issue, or does that result exclude me from on the issue you’re working on with YT?

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Spain isn’t on the short list yet, but that just means we haven’t had someone in Spain with the issue contact the team so far. So you may be the first to add it to the list. I’ll pass that along so they can look into it.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi @rbrown, are you able to try using AirPlay to send the audio to your Sonos speaker instead of using the Sonos app? If so, can you test that out for a bit and let us know if you get this encoding error still or something different?

There’s an issue affecting some people that the team is working on with YouTube Music that affects certain countries. The diagnostic looks ok on the network side, and the Beam is wired, so that shouldn’t be too much of a concern.

Hi Ryan,

I don’t have an Apple device unfortunately, however I think I can borrow one to do some testing.  Its fairly repeatable so I shouldn’t need much testing.  Just FYI, I am in Spain, in case that is one of the affected countries?

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi @rbrown, are you able to try using AirPlay to send the audio to your Sonos speaker instead of using the Sonos app? If so, can you test that out for a bit and let us know if you get this encoding error still or something different?

There’s an issue affecting some people that the team is working on with YouTube Music that affects certain countries. The diagnostic looks ok on the network side, and the Beam is wired, so that shouldn’t be too much of a concern.

If you want to use your access points or mesh hubs, then you can, but ensure they are all using the same SSID/Password as your main router’s 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands (if using both) and more importantly ensure they are also operating on the same WiFi channels as the main router too… in some instances some access points apps either have the channel set to 'auto-select' or you may have to go via a web interface to change the access point channel.. but ensure you fix them.

Same advice with the router too, it’s important to not allow them to auto-select channels on startup or reboot etc.

The only system that appears to not allow this fixing of channels I’m aware of is Google Nest hubs but most other hub devices and access devices are okay.

If you opt to run your devices on SonosNet (as recommended) I would suggest you ensure you use a non-overlapping wifi channel on your router and access points.. so either channels 1, 6 or 11 and make sure you set the SonosNet channel at least 5 channels away from your chosen router channel.

So if the router is set to channel 6 by you, then set the SonosNet channel to either 1 or 11.

Hope that sorts your issues. 👍

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi Ken,

I spent quite a long time investigating this this morning, also with Sonos over the phone.  In the first instance the wifi device was not connecting to the closest AP, so that was defintely making things worse.  That is now resolved, but still 1/5 songs or so skip with this error, but only on YouTube Music.  I’ve tried just about everything now, removed all APs, wired in the sonos, removed one sonos etc, and still some songs skip, so i think this has got to come down to YT Music on some songs.  Network was defintely compounding the issue however, the secondary AP though close, was not the best.

I am getting a little further with this now since I’ve had the morning to investigate a bit more.  It seems that the issue is that I have a Sonos upstairs, that is wired to a switch running to my router downstairs.  The Sonos downstairs is on wifi.

I believe what is happening is that the downstairs Sonos is trying to connect via SonosNET to the upstairs, when in fact I want it to just use my own wifi and SonosNET should not be running anywhere.

I am finding it almost impossible to create this scenario however, since when I try and connect to WIFI from settings>network, I get password incorrect, which it is not.  I have seen other threads regarding this, but no surefire solution.  I seem to be going in circles atm resetting one device after another, but I am never seeing the downstairs sonos connect via my home wifi,

Firstly, I would not recommend you reset your devices in this situation as that really only needs to be done as a very last resort and it will not resolve what you are trying to achieve here. ALL Sonos devices will, in most situations, switchover to SonosNet whenever one device is wired to the LAN and in that situation I would recommend you remove the WiFi credentials from the Sonos App.

If you wish to run all devices on your WiFi, then you must uncable ALL your speakers from the LAN.. and (obviously) keep the WiFi credentials, or restore them, in “Settings/System/Network/Wireless Setup”… its best to have one, or the other, type of setup, rather than both, which is often referred to here as 'mixed mode’ ...and mixed mode only occurs automatically, when one signal is unavailable, or out of reach… in your case, it sounds like that is unlikely to happen.

I would recommend you keep all on SonosNet, but ideally you need to put the wired Sonos device direct into the main router, rather than the upstairs switch… if that’s not practicable, then you maybe best to switch to WiFi and enter the credentials as I have described for your routers 2.4ghz band (case sensitive) SSID/password.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I am getting a little further with this now since I’ve had the morning to investigate a bit more.  It seems that the issue is that I have a Sonos upstairs, that is wired to a switch running to my router downstairs.  The Sonos downstairs is on wifi.

I believe what is happening is that the downstairs Sonos is trying to connect via SonosNET to the upstairs, when in fact I want it to just use my own wifi and SonosNET should not be running anywhere.

I am finding it almost impossible to create this scenario however, since when I try and connect to WIFI from settings>network, I get password incorrect, which it is not.  I have seen other threads regarding this, but no surefire solution.  I seem to be going in circles atm resetting one device after another, but I am never seeing the downstairs sonos connect via my home wifi,