Answered

WiFi password incorrect

• 14 October 2019
  • 34 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

I just got Play One as a 10yr gift from work and can’t get Wifi working due to the Incorrect Password issue.  Spend a couple hours now trying the various recommendations.  A dozen devices up to 10yrs old work on it so why doesn’t a brand New Sonos product work?  Our Telus Wifi has a smart feature that does 2.4 or 5 so I am puzzled why it won’t connect wirelessly using my current WiFi password.  If I could return this product I would

Because it doesn’t know the new SSID and password until you wire it directly to the router with an Ethernet cable, would be my guess. The PLAY:1 does not have the same BLE that the Sonos One does due to its age, so there’s no way to transfer the new network information to it until you wire it directly. Once it has the new data, it should connect wirelessly to the 2.4Ghz b/g network. 

I guess I said it wrong, my is a Sonos One Gen2.  Just came in the mail today.  I went into my WiFi modems settings and am trying different things but now I can’t seem to even communicate with it so I am trying to reset things back

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sonos often does not like range extenders and the like. Remove it and see how things go.

I’d consider switching to Boost Mode (one or more wired Sonos devices) and quit trying to connect to your home WiFi.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

So not a Sonos problem at all then….. The one case where the Sonos help stating you are using the wrong password is actually true.

Even I had the same issue. And after I did the following changes, it resolved my issue.

Ensure that wifi is 2.4 GHz b/g/n

I contacted sonos customer care & the following changes done resolved the issue for me:

1. Change the wifi channel mode from auto to manual, the sonos uses channel 6, so its best to select channel 1 or 11 as these channels have the least overlap with channel 6.
  2. The second setting is is turn on UPNP.

Hope it works for you.

I had the same problem with me Play 3. Tried many things.

I called my internet provider and ask them if the could reset my WiFi router. I also told them to use lower case and no spaces between letters for the name of the network.

I use the 2.4 Ghz band.

it worked. 

Got the same problem.

Ok, but how do I disable the 5G on the router? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Gustav_l.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community, I totally understand where you're coming from and I’m here to help.

I suggest not to turn off the 5Ghz the reason behind that is this can be used for Sonos home theater speakers.

Also, other electronic devices like tablets, phones, laptops can also use 5ghz. 

But if you really insist I suggest contacting your cable provider or the manufacturer of the router.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.