Answered

Unable to play "Song Title" - the connection to Spotify was lost

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

57 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Well, Sonos’s new S1 update rolled out and still not fixed.  Looks like this isn’t a big deal for either company. Too bad I can’t simply roll back the software to when it did work.  Look’s like Amazon Music will be my main go to.  Any recommendations for services available in Spotify’s price range with a large librairy available?

How much control do you thing Sonos engineers have over the Spotify servers? Sonos doesn’t touch the stream until it gets played by your speakers, all they do is point at a server location that Spotify has told them is the correct location to get the data. Sonos doesn’t touch the data stream until the point it reaches your speakers. 

How do you know they did?  Because it isn’t fixed.

There is no way you can draw that conclusion.  They could have contacted Spotify and been told to piss off.  Fact remains, complaining directly to Spotify is your best route of action.  You are the one who pays them, not Sonos. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Same problem here. Started happening a month or two ago after years of working fine. Also on an Orbi mesh wifi network, but nothing has changed about our setup in a long time. Songs will fail to play 9/10 times, and occasionally work. Works fine when on a wired connection, but that is not an option for the room where we have our Sonos device. We have tried all the normal power off/on of Sonos and router, changing wifi channels, etc. Music from other services will play fine -- it's just Spotify over WiFi that is broken. Super weird and frustrating.

That is the odd thing about this!  Makes you wonder if it’s an ORBI/Spotify issue.  Everything worked perfectly until about a week to 2 weeks ago.  I know I haven’t updated ORBI and it’s on the most current firmware which leads me to believe Spotify screwed something up on one of their current updates.  Also wonder if this is only happening with ORBI specific owners.

My case has been “...escalated to engineering.” Ooooooh, sounds so serious.

Funny part is the email with the link to schedule a call with them recommended that I not only share my wifi network and password but that I share my screen and allow them to take control of my computer’s mouse and keyboard.

Also, I imagine Sonos would lead with that. Why go through hours of troubleshooting.” As far as I can tell, the connection is Sonos app > Spotify app > Sonos Connect. If that’s the case, then the latest Sonos app update broke the connection between their app and Spotify, otherwise again, they would lead with “Spotify changed their app, not our fault, call them.”

Moderator Note: Post edited for language

With an attitude like that, I’m sure the Engineers are tripping over themselves to help you out.  I know I would be. :kissing_smiling_eyes:

With an attitude like that, I’m sure the Engineers are tripping over themselves to help you out.  I know I would be. :kissing_smiling_eyes:

I’ve played errand boy and bench tech for their phone support team for several hours and been given inaccurate info, scripted responses and disconnected several times. In all interactions, I have been courteous, respectful and receptive, now my patience has run out. I bought the “Connect” so I could stream music on my phone, but Sonos took that away. I started using Pandora, but that had a bunch of noise between songs with Sonos (sounds fine when streamed from app) so I switched to Spotify. Now that Sonos has killed that, I’m left with a brick.

So, what would you suggest my attitude be?   Grateful?   Encouraged?   Content?

Userlevel 1
Badge

This has been happening to me as well for the past week.  Cannot connect to Spotify but can connect to other music services fine.  I have the Orbi Mesh as well. Also, the Spotify status is totally operational on the status page.

I think if you click on the link in his post, called ‘phone team’, you’ll be taken to where the phone number for your region is listed. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

How much control do you thing Sonos engineers have over the Spotify servers? Sonos doesn’t touch the stream until it gets played by your speakers, all they do is point at a server location that Spotify has told them is the correct location to get the data. Sonos doesn’t touch the data stream until the point it reaches your speakers. 

I think Sonos has enough clout to contact Spotify and ask what’s up?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Reporting back.  So far it works as it should since the Netgear firmware update.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

It’s frustrating and I understand that. Have you first encountered this issue after a system update? If not, would you mind explaining how long this issue occurs?

Try these step if you are still encountering streaming issues:

• Disable Parental Controls for the Sonos device via Circle or Standard Parental Controls.
    • Orbi app main screen or web interface → Parental Controls 
  • Disable Access Controls for the Sonos device. 
    • Orbi web interface → Access Control
  • Confirm that the Sonos device is not paused within the Orbi app.
    • Orbi app main screen → Device List
Userlevel 1
Badge

Sure.  Cox is the ISP 300/30.  Modem is a Netgear CM1100 (not Cox) and the Orbi is the RBK53S-100NAS (router sat plus 2 seperate sats).  Like I said, this appears to only be a Spotify problem connecting with the Sonos.  All other music services are working fine.  I added Amazon Prime as primary for Alexa and it plays without hesitation to the Sonos take 3’s.  If spotify is selected it’s a no go.  Can’t play Spotify to Sonos through any device including the desktop app (Sonos as well as Spotify’s).

Thank you for your consideration Sebastien!

I’ve played errand boy and bench tech for their phone support team for several hours and been given inaccurate info, scripted responses and disconnected several times. In all interactions, I have been courteous, respectful and receptive, now my patience has run out. I bought the “Connect” so I could stream music on my phone, but Sonos took that away. I started using Pandora, but that had a bunch of noise between songs with Sonos (sounds fine when streamed from app) so I switched to Spotify. Now that Sonos has killed that, I’m left with a brick.

So, what would you suggest my attitude be?   Grateful?   Encouraged?   Content?

At no point should one ever, for any reason, be obnoxious to people who are trying to help you.  I’ve had more than a few experiences with Sonos Support, and looking back on those; I am inclined to believe your story has a few holes in it, not to mention a big helping of after-the-fact-self-rationalization for a poor attitude. 

Also, you came in here with gun-a-blazing, with a not so subtle, provocative username, yet none of us ever had any interaction with you before in our lives.  This is but another clue that your attitude starts out poor from the start.   

So let’s face it, you are a guy who likes to rant.  Well, you came to the wrong place.  Now why don’t you reel it in a few fathoms, start being respectful, and maybe, just maybe, we can help you.  Keep acting like a child, and that’s the way you will be treated.

I have the exact same issue currently.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

No problem at all. I’m sorry to hear you’re experiencing issues when you’re trying to initiate playback from Spotify. Can you tell me, are you trying to play directly from the Spotify app using direct control or through the Sonos app?

As a test I would ask you to temporarily connect one of your Sonos products into the router (preferably the main Orbi router), and let me know if the problem continues with Spotify.

I’m experiencing this issue too. Anyone have any luck addressing it?

I think Sonos has enough clout to contact Spotify and ask what’s up?

How do you know they didn’t?

At no point should one ever, for any reason, be obnoxious to people who are trying to help you.  I’ve had more than a few experiences with Sonos Support, and looking back on those; I am inclined to believe your story has a few holes in it, not to mention a big helping of after-the-fact-self-rationalization for a poor attitude. 

Also, you came in here with gun-a-blazing, with a not so subtle, provocative username, yet none of us ever had any interaction with you before in our lives.  This is but another clue that your attitude starts out poor from the start.   

So let’s face it, you are a guy who likes to rant.  Well, you came to the wrong place.  Now why don’t you reel it in a few fathoms, start being respectful, and maybe, just maybe, we can help you.  Keep acting like a child, and that’s the way you will be treated. 

You know nothing about me nor my previous convos with Sonos phone support except what I have told you which, again, was “In all interactions, I have been courteous, respectful and receptive.” Your pontificating diatribe, while artfully worded, is unwarranted, unwelcome and unnecessary. I must wonder why you have a zero tolerance policy.

I know that’s not directed towards me, but I am using the Sonos app...will try that later.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi @dkellerd

Sorry, I did not noticed your post. But please let me know what happens after trying these steps I have provided previously. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Still having this issue.  Spotify is useless with Sonos.

Badge

Reporting back.  So far it works as it should since the Netgear firmware update.

Fingers crossed it continues for you :)

Is anyone making any headway?

I have had the same set up [Spotify Prem, Sonos, Orbi etc] for years with only the odd interruption which where easily sorted.

Now Spotify is unusable through Sonos - even if I manage to get a song to play the chances of interacting with it is non existent!

I have the same issue but it’s not new, has been happening for nearly six months now. So frustrating!

Apple music works fine, Sonos radio works fine, Tunein works fine...only Spotify has this problem.