Answered

Spotify problems

• 16 March 2021
  • 37 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

It’s been an issue for a long time, so I’m hoping the more feedback that can be sent to Spotify, the more they’ll get on the ball and fix the issue. I’m afraid if it was truly something on the Sonos side of things, it would be impacting other services as well, which seems not to be the case. 

Problem is….my Sonos simply doesn’t work now because of this, as Spotify is my core service. But you are correct, all we have here is hope. And that shouldn’t be the case. The money this has all cost me (and ongoing Spotify charges) should mean this doesn’t happen in the first place….

What is your setup @Bumpyfunk, what router are you using, what Wifi channels and channel-width are in use and is it only happening with grouped or standalone Sonos devices?.. if you can provide more info, including switches (managed or unmanaged) and details of wired products, there maybe some other things to try to perhaps resolve your issue.

Badge +1

Spotify and Sonos DO NOT play well together. Why can’t there just be Spotify WITHIN the Sonos app? They have radio stations there! If I use Spotify and Sonos, then technically I have TWO apps on my phone, to send music to my Sonos speakers. I have rebooted router, Sonos, uninstall and reinstall Spotify, etc. All useless.

My workaround is this. I have a beam on my TV with 2 Sonos 1 SL speakers. I added Spotify on my Roku as an app there. When I stream to my TV, which is really Sonos speakers, it works fine.

Anything on my phone app simply DOES NOT WORK. The default is to play music on my phone. WHY would I do that? I want to send music to my Sonos speakers. Since Sonos costs literally HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS you would think it would work better. Spotify should be within Sonos so I just stream with one app.

Again, Spotify and Sonos DO NOT play well together. No matter what the web marketing says from either of them.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @JonathanB, welcome to the Sonos Community!

We did experience a brief outage with Spotify yesterday, however that has since cleared up - are you still having issues with Spotify playback?

If you’re typically experiencing issues when speakers are grouped, it could be that the first room in the group is having issues with interference, or poor connection - do you have the same issues if you start the group from a room closer to the Boost?

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @Charlieboy77, having a Sonos device right beside the router may actually be causing the issues here - I’d recommend creating some distance between the speaker and the router, at least a metre if possible, and then rebooting the router & Sonos devices once more.

When the system is back online, is playback from Spotify more consistent? If not, it may be worth getting in touch with our Support Team to take a closer look at the system.

@Coooops I can understand the frustration - have you tried a network reboot, starting with the router and any mesh nodes or extenders, followed by each Sonos device? It may also help to connect a speaker directly via Ethernet as a test - if you’re able to play to the single speaker with a direct connection without issue, then that would indicate that there’s an issue with the wireless communication. Let us know how you get on :)

And now SONOS says that Spotify is limiting the number of rooms that I can play in. That is just not true. I am playing in only one room currently. Also, I have a Family premium subscription which means I can have multiple accounts if I want. Please fix this really annoying problems you are having with Spotify. 

@Coooops I can understand the frustration - have you tried a network reboot, starting with the router and any mesh nodes or extenders, followed by each Sonos device? It may also help to connect a speaker directly via Ethernet as a test - if you’re able to play to the single speaker with a direct connection without issue, then that would indicate that there’s an issue with the wireless communication. Let us know how you get on :)

I’ve tried the re-boot without success.  Haven’t yet connected via ethernet.  The system and my phone/desktop are connected to the same network; I have no network speed issues. I am using a mix of old and new tech with a Connect Amp, a Play:5 series 1 and 2 One SL speakers.

I have met the same problem before. You can try my method. You can remove Spotify and then re-add it. Or you can find some tools to download the Spotify songs to avoid delay.

The problem occurs again. I am using Sonos One SL. The WIFI connection is great. And I am tired of uninstalling and reinstalling the Sonos app. I am considering the safety of using Spotify converter like Audkit to download Spotify playlists then stream to Sonos. Could it be a good solution?

I’ve tried the re-boot without success.  Haven’t yet connected via ethernet.  The system and my phone/desktop are connected to the same network; I have no network speed issues. I am using a mix of old and new tech with a Connect Amp, a Play:5 series 1 and 2 One SL speakers.

It seems to be confined to Spotify. Tunein radio service is working fine

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Understood, thanks for that - would it be possible to test playing to a single, wired Sonos device? This should help to confirm if the issue is with the wireless connection or not.

You can also reach out to the Support Team via live chat or phone call to take a closer look at the system and perform some live troubleshooting as well :)

I also have a problem of communication between SONOS and SPOTIFY, I have 3 Sonos Play 1. The song never meets the end, keeps stopping without a reason, after a few seconds it changes by itself to the next one..   This problem has been happening for more than a month.

Same problem here.  Came out of nowhere.  Tried all the above with no solution.