Sonos One disconnected overnight "WiFi password incorrect" fix.

• 20 October 2019
  • 30 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

I had this issue as well, and tried the above to no avail.  What worked was creating a new SSID with open authentication, factory resetting the play 1, connecting it to the new SSID, then adding mac authentication to the new SSID.  Hope this helps someone.

OK, if I factory default the Play:1, conect direct to router with ethernet. Configure the Wireless Password while connected using the ethernet, then remove the ethernet and reset, it DOES login to the Orbi WiFi and I can stream again.

Halelujah!

Had exactly the same issue. Repeated hard factory resets of my Sonos One (which had worked for a couple of years fault free then just dropped off the network) did not work. Went through the reset, add, password incorrect, connect to ethernet, device not found loop enough times to scream. 

Rebooted router. No effect.

Edited access control tables of router to delete MAC address of Sonos One. No luck

In the end, having read this thread, I have switched off Ethernet b/g/n 2.4 GHz network on my Netgear Orbi router. 

Sonos One then miraculously no longer reports incorrect password and is working perfectly.

Gearing up to see what happens when I switch 2.4GHz back on

Would be fair to say that I am underwhelmed by Sonos’s crappy support site and even crappier error messages. But massive kudos to this community for suggesting some stuff that actually appears to work.

I was a huge fan of Sonos in the old days. But quality control has dropped, the forced upgrade fiasco left a really sour taste in the mouth (even though they rowed back from their hard line eventually) but this is certainly not the amazing “just works” kit that it used to be.

I’ve got 8 Sonos devices of various flavours, so migrating to something else is going to be tough, but sadly I’ve had to start thinking about it.

I had the wifi password incorrect problem with my Sonos One. I called Sonos for support but they were unable to debug my problem.  They finally said it was a router problem or maybe it was interference from my cordless phone.  I tried putting the Sonos One on a guest network but that didn’t work either. I finally decided to reboot the router (I didn’t want to do that since every other wifi device was working fine) but the reboot fixed the incorrect wifi password issue.  I didn’t have to change the wifi password.  

Badge

In Wifi router for 2.4 GHz set channel to 6 or 11 (instead of Auto). This has worked for me.