No audio from Sonos Port digital output - "PCM Zero" signal.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

49 replies

Exactly the same here. I was worried, I thought it might be my active speakers. Glad I found this topic. Hopefully there will be a fix soon. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Ditte

I have sent a couple of diagnostics over the past few days and responded to one of your engineers via email.  It would be good to know when the issue is likely to be fixed - can you let us know please?

The volume limit workaround suggested by @ilogixaw above made no difference for me anyway  - still silence when the digital output from the Port is selected whilst the analogue output still works normally.  

Thank you.

Same here. Port connected to a Cambridge DAC Magic100. Tested both S/P DIF input ports available on the DAC. Both signal 44.1 input but stay silent.

I work for an audio store and we are Sonos dealers experiencing the same problems with out demo ports. It’s unreal to me that they would release an update that cooked the Digital out. I’ve tried our Port on the Parasound Hint 6, Arcam DACir-II, and the Rega Saturn CD Player DAC, and none of them work. It is completely unreal!

Have you provided any data to Sonos about it? While it’s mildly helpful to share your shock with this community, it might go a lot further if you were to share hard data with Sonos, so the engineers might address this issue more speedily. 

Same problem here, since last update the digital output isn’t working… how long doesn’t it take to release a rollback? 
we have clients asking to get rid of Sonos already… this is unacceptable. 

We have a bunch of clients with Port’s that have broken DIGITAL OUT since the last update… Thanks sonos! 

It only works on variable.

On fix and pass through the stream starts correctly for a few milliseconds and then turns into static noise. I tested this on two different Ports. Any fix to that?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Whilst I appreciate Sonos acknowledging the issue on the forum, it’s worth noting a lack of an apology or admission that the update has caused the issue. 

How does a mistake like this happen?

Why haven’t they rolled back the update?

What compensation are they willing to offer customers whose devices they have (hopefully temporarily) crippled?

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

It can also be added, when you use the analogue output and quickly operate the balance control, the bass and treble sliders changes randomly.

What did the technical support team mentioned in the post previous to yours say?

Same problem with Genelec 8341!!!

emabarrassing SONOS…

Same issue. Just installed a new Port yesterday.  RCA analog works but zero sound via the digital coax connection. Note the port completed an update yesterday as well.

Hello,

Same issue here as well.

Appeared somewhere between Sunday March 26th and Wednesday March 29th.

Maybe linked to the launch of the Era 100 & 300 and updates with Dolby Atmos audio support.

I cannot check if analog audio works since the Port is hooked to a Bel Canto DAC 3 and it only has digital inputs.

In any case, the only use for the Port is to connect to the Bel Canto DAC in my listening room.

I spent over an hour with a Sonos tech rep on this problem -- I had just purchased a new Sonos Port, and I was getting no sound on my Denon receiver -- and the tech didn’t know of the bug until he checked with his supervisor because we were getting nowhere. Total waste of my time. It is extremely frustrating to buy this new device, have it simply not work, and then have the company rep not know of the cause, then finding the cause and having no estimate of when it will be fixed. So essentially, I’ve just spent  >$400 for a useless brick. 

Having same issue. System has been working find for years, not working now. Where to look for update? Going to analog out is not an option for me, Sonance DSP amp with digital input card only.

Badge +3

Confirmed...fixed!!! PCM != Zero.

I’ve been frustrated by this too, spent a good while swapping components and trying to troubleshoot before I found this thread. Hopeful this is fixed soon, analog out is not an option for me so this has me without music in one of my systems. 

diagnostic : 1855675110

Userlevel 1
Badge

The update did not work for me - I just spoke to ‘support’ who suggested that the update to build 72.2-39316 only solves the problem for some Ports and that they are still investigating the issue.   The words used were

“They are still working on the fix, they noticed that for some of the Ports the update works. And for others the analog output is currently a workaround.”

So it just depends on whether you are feeling lucky…………….

My Sonos port still has failing SPDIF out but analog works fine. I have build 72.2-39316. Hardware version is 1.29.1.7-2.2. Series ID is A100.

I am happy to submit a diagnostic or provide serial number to Sonos engineering privately if it helps debug. I also could send the unit in to help the cause...

I thought there was a problem with my system until I found this thread. 

However, this update didn’t work for me.  I still have to use the Analog output for now.

Unfortunately, that’s not the only issue I’m having.

I can’t seem to stream properly thru the Sonos app to the Port.  I can start a stream but the stream stops after about 30 seconds.  Sometimes it stops earlier if I play with the volume settings.

I can stream directly to my Move speaker which is in the same room but if I add the Port so that it outputs to my audio system, it stops.

All other functions with the Port work properly.  I can use the Line In for my CD player and turntable without any issues. 

I thought there was a problem with my system until I found this thread. 

However, this update didn’t work for me.  I still have to use the Analog output for now.

Unfortunately, that’s not the only issue I’m having.

I can’t seem to stream properly thru the Sonos app to the Port.  I can start a stream but the stream stops after about 30 seconds.  Sometimes it stops earlier if I play with the volume settings.

I can stream directly to my Move speaker which is in the same room but if I add the Port so that it outputs to my audio system, it stops.

All other functions with the Port work properly.  I can use the Line In for my CD player and turntable without any issues. 

I may have spoken too quickly.  I just tried using the digital output and it is now working.

It seems to have stabilized my streaming issue as well although it did stop on me once when I was adjusting the volume.  So it may be intermittent.  Maybe it’s a bigger issue when using Analog output. 

I’ll do some more testing when I get a chance.

Userlevel 5

Hi all, Thanks again for your patience. We're sorry to hear some of you are still experiencing this issue, despite having updated Sonos Port since my last post. If you could please share a diagnostic here in the topic, or in a DM to me, I'll make sure that they get to the engineering team for further investigation. Thank you. 

Userlevel 5

Diagnostic 213161996

Hi Svosseller, Thanks for the diagnostic! Could you please check if your amp is back to the "original" settings from before the bug? We fully expect that anyone affected by this may have changed settings, cables etc before the software release yesterday.

Thank you.