Is your music cutting out? Or are your players disappearing from the app?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

385 replies

I am having constant problems with speakers cutting off after about 30 mins ish. I have submitted diagnostics in the hope it will help.
I have previous factory reset router and all my speakers. But this has made no difference.
I have checked that I still have internet connection and it is there. I also cannot connect to Sonos at this point. I have pressed start and it seems to start working again.
Also it happens all times of day and week.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hey there,

a couple of days ago I bought a set of new IKEA shelf speakers and do like them quite a lot.

Unfortunately i have experienced TuneIn acting very unreliably, having intermittent hiccups. The speakers also diappeared repeatedly from the menu. Right now I am testing Spotify and performance so far seems fine.

I have the Sonos Boost installed (Wifi-data deleted), so the connection should be stable.

Diagnose number is 1011473832.

Thank you for any help.

Hi there,

If you're still running into this issue, try changing the wireless channel your Sonos system is using. There are wireless communication errors between your components, possibly caused by wireless interference from nearby networks. You might also try moving your Boost if it is near any third party electronics which could cause interference.
Hey there,

a couple of days ago I bought a set of new IKEA shelf speakers and do like them quite a lot.

Unfortunately i have experienced TuneIn acting very unreliably, having intermittent hiccups. The speakers also diappeared repeatedly from the menu. Right now I am testing Spotify and performance so far seems fine.

I have the Sonos Boost installed (Wifi-data deleted), so the connection should be stable.

Diagnose number is 1011473832.

Thank you for any help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@tanjie.kevin ,

Thanks for the report. Overall, the wireless environment looks okay. Wireless channel 6 may be a bit better for your Sonos system, as it's less crowded. You have a group of 11 speakers set up. This can use quite a bit of bandwidth, do you have any issues playing to smaller groups?

Right now you have a Play:3 wired into your network. It's handling the communication for all of your other speakers. It may help to wire in another unit or 2 to help balance the wireless load.

If you're still having issues, send along a new report and I'll take a look.
Thanks Jeff, I’ll try hard wiring another unit. I had the same issues with fewer speakers on channel 6 as well.
I tried hard wiring another unit, the Playbar, and it created a bunch of other unrelated issues. Caused our wifi to shut off and on, and the app wouldn’t recognize the wifi signal so that isn’t an option.

If you connected a speaker to a wireless extender on your Ubiquiti mesh, it may have made a network loop. If you can wire another Sonos unit into your router, switch, or main Ubiquiti hub, it may help.

Otherwise, it may be best to continue troubleshooting this live with our phone team. They have more tools available. You can find our phone number and hours here.

@tanjie.kevin ,

Thanks for the report. Overall, the wireless environment looks okay. Wireless channel 6 may be a bit better for your Sonos system, as it's less crowded. You have a group of 11 speakers set up. This can use quite a bit of bandwidth, do you have any issues playing to smaller groups?

Right now you have a Play:3 wired into your network. It's handling the communication for all of your other speakers. It may help to wire in another unit or 2 to help balance the wireless load.

Thanks Jeff, I’ll try hard wiring another unit. I had the same issues with fewer speakers on channel 6 as well.

I tried hard wiring another unit, the Playbar, and it created a bunch of other unrelated issues. Caused our wifi to shut off and on, and the app wouldn’t recognize the wifi signal so that isn’t an option.
@tanjie.kevin ,

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
@tanjie.kevin ,

Hi all,

If you’re experiencing any of the above, or your app is sluggish, then your Sonos set up may be suffering from “wireless interference”. In the video, you will see how to fix this annoying issue, and get back to listening to your favorite tunes, uninterrupted.

Feel free to let us know how to get along with the video. If you need any further assistance, we’re ready to help! :D

Please note that we also have a support article explaining how to change the wireless channel here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1219

Still having problems? Grab a diagnostic and add it to your reply.

Sonos Controller App for iOS or Android
From the Sonos music menu, touch Settings > Advanced Settings menu > Submit Diagnostics.

Sonos Desktop Controller App for Mac or PC
Select Submit Diagnostics from the Help menu.

Diagnostics code: 1112429071.

We have recently been experiencing music streaming from Spotify and Apple cutting out regularly. I’ve updated the app, switched channels, unplugged all the speakers, re-booted the router and changed which unit is connected to a cat5 cable.

Radio stations streaming through TuneIn work fine.

We use Ubiquity access points for our wifi, and the hard wired device is connected to our modem through a switch. We don’t have any other issues with any of our other devices (security cameras, tv’s, etc.), and hoping to get this sorted.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have two Sonos One's (about two months old) in one room - they are 10 feet from a brand new xfinity wireless router. Up until this week they have been great, but as of this week they are unusable - they intermittently drop connection entirely, stop playing music and won't reconnect for several minutes, they skip songs, airplay works even worse and will only connect and work about 33% of the time. I have changed nothing about them or my room, they haven't moved an inch. I have tried changing my wireless channel on my router to several different channels to no avail, Ive tried resetting them both to factory settings and setting up the room from scratch. Nothing has managed to help. I have no problem chrome casting in the living room, I have no problem streaming music through any outlet. Please help me, this investment has become a pair of paper weights.

Diagnostics report: 1177339349

Hi there,

Your speakers are having a hard time staying connected to your wireless network. This is probably due to the high number of nearby networks running on the same channel as your own. Try changing your router's wireless channel to 11 and test things out again.
Hit reply too quickly.

Based on the symptoms you describe, I'm going to hazard a guess that you've got some duplicate IP address issues with your speakers. I'd try unplugging them from power, then rebooting your router. Once the router comes back up, plug back in your Sonos devices, and see if that makes a difference to the experience. If that does work, I'd encourage you to look in to reserving IP addresses for all of your network devices in your router's DHCP table.
This being a weekend, you're unlikely to get a Community Moderator to look at that diagnostic until Monday. If you prefer a more immediate response, I'd recommend that you contact Sonos Support to discuss it. I tend to suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, but are only available during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.
I have two Sonos One's (about two months old) in one room - they are 10 feet from a brand new xfinity wireless router. Up until this week they have been great, but as of this week they are unusable - they intermittently drop connection entirely, stop playing music and won't reconnect for several minutes, they skip songs, airplay works even worse and will only connect and work about 33% of the time. I have changed nothing about them or my room, they haven't moved an inch. I have tried changing my wireless channel on my router to several different channels to no avail, Ive tried resetting them both to factory settings and setting up the room from scratch. Nothing has managed to help. I have no problem chrome casting in the living room, I have no problem streaming music through any outlet. Please help me, this investment has become a pair of paper weights.

Diagnostics report: 1177339349
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Just curious, how can you identify that there are no IP conflicts? None of the routers I've ever used have provided any way to present that kind of information. All they do is present the data of what is connected at the moment in time the report is generated, and never have any information about what other devices might have been connected to the same IP address over the previous X amount of time

Hopefully someone from Sonos will be along to look at that diagnostic, but if you want to hit the support folks, they're on Twitter and Facebook, the moderators here are much more community folks.

My Sonos setup (2x Play 1s, 1x Playbar & 1x Sub on Velop mesh network) has been working great for past 2 months when they were initially setup until 2 days ago, my Sub begin to entirely disconnect itself and dropped out of the group. Under "Room Settings", it will show up as "Living Room (+?+LS+RS)".

I have tried:
1. Re-adding the Sub back via the "Add a Speaker or Sub" from the app.
2. Factory reset my Sub
3. Using ethernet connection instead of wireless.
4. Changing my wireless channels etc.
5. Removing all speakers and redo the whole setup of adding my Play 1s, playbar and sub.

All of the above have failed to resolve the problem. I'm not sure if a recent update has caused this issue. I have checked my Sub and it doesn't seem to have any hardware defects going on since it can be powered on/off and able to be discovered by my iPhone Sonos controller app.

My Sonos Diagnostics number is 136702528

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks for sending in the report. I can see the wireless connection between your Playbar and Sub, but your Sub does not have a valid network address. This can be due to IP conflicts, as was suggested above, or other communication issues, such as wireless interference or network congestion. It may be a good idea to set up IP reservations on your network to prevent conflicts.

I do see that there are some wireless communication errors showing up. It may be due to the secondary, unnamed network your router is creating. Both networks are running on the same wireless channel and may be making it hard for your speakers and Sub to stay in communication. Try changing your main wireless network over to channel 1 and see if that helps.

Hi Bruce/Jeff,

Turned out that my router has been switching wifi channels and after I have manually fix them, my sonos setup is working again. Thanks for the brilliant advice and help!

It's good to hear things are working again.
Just curious, how can you identify that there are no IP conflicts? None of the routers I've ever used have provided any way to present that kind of information. All they do is present the data of what is connected at the moment in time the report is generated, and never have any information about what other devices might have been connected to the same IP address over the previous X amount of time

Hopefully someone from Sonos will be along to look at that diagnostic, but if you want to hit the support folks, they're on Twitter and Facebook, the moderators here are much more community folks.

My Sonos setup (2x Play 1s, 1x Playbar & 1x Sub on Velop mesh network) has been working great for past 2 months when they were initially setup until 2 days ago, my Sub begin to entirely disconnect itself and dropped out of the group. Under "Room Settings", it will show up as "Living Room (+?+LS+RS)".

I have tried:
2. Factory reset my Sub
5. Removing all speakers and redo the whole setup of adding my Play 1s, playbar and sub.

All of the above have failed to resolve the problem. I'm not sure if a recent update has caused this issue. I have checked my Sub and it doesn't seem to have any hardware defects going on since it can be powered on/off and able to be discovered by my iPhone Sonos controller app.

Thanks for sending in the report. I can see the wireless connection between your Playbar and Sub, but your Sub does not have a valid network address. This can be due to IP conflicts, as was suggested above, or other communication issues, such as wireless interference or network congestion. It may be a good idea to set up IP reservations on your network to prevent conflicts.

I do see that there are some wireless communication errors showing up. It may be due to the secondary, unnamed network your router is creating. Both networks are running on the same wireless channel and may be making it hard for your speakers and Sub to stay in communication. Try changing your main wireless network over to channel 1 and see if that helps.

Hi Bruce/Jeff,

Turned out that my router has been switching wifi channels and after I have manually fix them, my sonos setup is working again. Thanks for the brilliant advice and help!

I have tried:
2. Factory reset my Sub

hi Jeff

Thanks for the advice. I will do the above and report my findings soon as im overseas now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I have tried:
2. Factory reset my Sub

Does it still show up as a ? (how do I make this a question...add another question mark?)

That's an indication that it hasn't gotten a valid IP address from your router. For me, all I had to do was power cycle the SUB, and it picked up the correct assigned IP address.

You may need to try unplugging it, then reboot your router, and once the router comes back up, plugging it back in. This would be the safest bet, but I'll admit I didn't do so on mine.

Hi Bruce,

I have tried but still to no avail. Have already switched off all my wireless devices and the Sub still doesnt want to connect. No IP conflicts as well.
Oh, it's also possible that there' some wifi interference going on. Read the link, and check around your PLAYBAR and SUB for anything that might be generating interference.
Does it still show up as a ? (how do I make this a question...add another question mark?)

That's an indication that it hasn't gotten a valid IP address from your router. For me, all I had to do was power cycle the SUB, and it picked up the correct assigned IP address.

You may need to try unplugging it, then reboot your router, and once the router comes back up, plugging it back in. This would be the safest bet, but I'll admit I didn't do so on mine.

I have tried:
2. Factory reset my Sub

I have a Sonos Beam connected to a Samsung UE40NU7120 TV by optical. Both devices are connected to my router via wi-fi. When the TV is off and I play music using Deezer, Google Play, etc. the music often cuts out. When I open the Sonos app to find out what has happened, I can see that the TV has "taken over" even though it is off. How can I stop this happening?

Diagnostic: 1314131821
We have a retail store with 14' ceilings, both speakers are installed into the ceiling plugged into ceiling outlets at either end of the shop. constant cutting out and one or both speakers dropping off the menu, which is especially rough for us as we have to get on a gigantic ladder to reset. diagnostics: 810930852
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I am having an issue with Play:3 continuously dropping off our network. We have 3 play:1's and and sub on the wireless network currently. The play 1's and the sub work fine on the wireless network. I have reset the play 3 and connected it via ethernet and gone through the setup multiple times adding it into the Sono controller (10.0).

Please use diagnostic number: 1861727639 . The Play 3 gets added into Controller and then I play 1 or 2 songs and then Controller responds with cannot play the next song and the room that is associated with the play 3 disappears or disconnects.

The light is white on top of the Play 3 and and the ethernet port is lighting up green and orange showing activity. The speaker was working fine before and it cannot stay connected.

Thanks for the report. Your Play:3 is still connected and communicating with your other Sonos units, but it does not have a valid network address. This could be due to an IP address conflict or another network issue preventing your speaker from communicating with your router.

I'd recommend starting by rebooting your router and each Sonos speaker. If this helps, send along another diagnostic report while the Play:3 is showing up in the app. You might take a look at your router's DHCP settings to see if there are any IP reservations which might conflict with the addresses available in the DHCP pool. It's also possible that you need to increase the available addresses in the DHCP pool. If you're unfamiliar with logging into your router's settings, it might be best to have our phone team help out. You can find our phone number and hours here.
I am having an issue with Play:3 continuously dropping off our network. We have 3 play:1's and and sub on the wireless network currently. The play 1's and the sub work fine on the wireless network. I have reset the play 3 and connected it via ethernet and gone through the setup multiple times adding it into the Sono controller (10.0).

Please use diagnostic number: 1861727639 . The Play 3 gets added into Controller and then I play 1 or 2 songs and then Controller responds with cannot play the next song and the room that is associated with the play 3 disappears or disconnects.

The light is white on top of the Play 3 and and the ethernet port is lighting up green and orange showing activity. The speaker was working fine before and it cannot stay connected.