Answered

Connect Amp keeps dropping out audio

• 19 September 2023
  • 93 replies

Badge +3

Hi I have 4 Connect Amps that have been working fine for some years but just recently they are dropping the Audio for a few seconds which is very annoying. I have spoken to Sonos Support on a few occasions and done everything they have suggested to fix this which they say is WiFi Interference such as switching channels etc but still have problems. This happens on any music source but I have noticed when the speakers go silent the sound levels are still going up and down on the app as if its playing the audio in other words not muted, not sure if this helps identify the problem. I am getting to the point now where soon these will be removed as they just aren't worth the hassle. I have seen a few threads where people have had the same problem but the only answers I have seen are contact Sonos Support.

Has anyone had this problem and got a viable solution??????

Some posts suggest an issue with S2 being introduced so does anyone know if this is a problem??

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 20 September 2023, 12:17

View original

93 replies

There is also a simple workaround in S2: set up line in for autoplay on each Connect Amp, and then use the cheapest Echo device you find that has a line out socket, wired via RCA to each Connect Amp. You are then free of S2, and the Connect Amp becomes a dumb servant of the Echo. And if you group Echos together, you can get all Connect Amps to play the same music in perfect sync as well.

PS: If you can find older Echo Show units that have an audio out jack - the latest models don't have these - you will even get a free bonus of being able to see album art of what is playing.

The major miss here is that this solution will not give you access to music on a local NAS.

Badge +1

sure but I’m already using my line in for my turntable… 

That is a minor issue, solved by a input switch between the source devices and the Sonos line in jack.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I’ve posted this elsewhere but it’s more relevant to this topic.

i now have 3 Connect:Amps and my Connect all suffering from stuttering and drop-outs.

this is not a network issue as all my modern Sonos Amps work just fine.  This is too much of a coincidence to believe these are all suffering failing memory around the same time.  Plus, a reboot solves the issue, albeit temporarily suggesting a memory leak or other firmware bug. 

This all started with a firmware (v15.x?)  push last year and Sonos have been too evasive on causes, other than hinting at faulty hardware, and trying to avoid blame.  Sorry Sonos — this isn’t good enough — this is a problem of your making, and a solution is needed.  Can we have some answers, please ?

Sndrew S 

I think you’ve seen all you’re going to from Sonos. They’ve seen the issue, and are working on it. The forum moderators aren’t allowed to give any more information, and likely don’t know any more information. They seem to find out what is in a new software release at the same time we do. If you couldperhaps get into a beta, and that particular beta was working on that issue, you might have advance knowledge…but then would be beholden to the NDA not to discuss what you know. And that’s even if there was a beta that involved that particular bug. 

There isn’t much we can do, beyond sending them diagnostics, and calling in to make sure they are passed on to the engineers to look at. We have to wait, beyond that, to even see if it is fixable. Since we don’t know the true nature of the issue, we can only make assumptions. Sonos’ policies won’t allow them to tell us. 

From personal experience with bugs in video games, they’re both hard to figure out, and resolve. Being able to include our customers in that process was impossible, and we would patch our game just as soon as we could, without notification time. Our forum moderators were never aware, from moment to moment, where the issue’s status was, and consequently were instructed not to discuss it…especially timing of any potential fixes. We often ‘fixed’ bugs on one engineers machine, but it wouldn’t stand the test across the QA machines, so any timing discussion would have been premature.

It is frustrating, certainly, but there isn’t much we can do, as customers, beyond provide Sonos hard data so that they can reproduce the issue, and hope for a quick fix. 

I think you’ve seen all you’re going to from Sonos. They’ve seen the issue, and are working on it. The forum moderators aren’t allowed to give any more information, and likely don’t know any more information.

Sonos may as well save some money and replace all the moderators by AI Bots, in that case; in any event the large majority of solutions here are given by Sonos users.

In this case, the moderator probably went out on a limb and said, a couple of months ago, that this issue is getting the “highest priority” in Sonos just now. For what that is worth, then.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Airgetlam , I do fully acknowledge Sonos’s policy around announcements.  And I do understand it — things that go on internally and not for public consumption.  

however their last update on these issues was prior to v16, when they said something like (and I’m paraphrasing here),  they could make no promises on the efficacy on any forthcoming updates.

We’ve now had v16 and v16.1 and they don’t appear to be working.  So I think the time is due for a further update; ie are they still working on it, or is a viable fix not now possible?  Do we stick with the old gear in the hope of a fix or do we look at other solutions ? I have 4 rooms that don’t work as they should and that is a hard pill to swallow without some acknowledgment from Sonos. 

regards

Andrew S 

My device only works for less than 24 hours after power down. It is quite annoying to power down every time before you want to turn the Music on. The Connect amp has also become slower and slower through the app. Next upgrade will be Bose or Bluesound. Sonos seems to be a product of low quality, which might be the case also for bluesound, were Bose has been on the semi high end for years.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

My device only works for less than 24 hours after power down. It is quite annoying to power down every time before you want to turn the Music on. The Connect amp has also become slower and slower through the app. Next upgrade will be Bose or Bluesound. Sonos seems to be a product of low quality, which might be the case also for bluesound, were Bose has been on the semi high end for years.

You realize you are complaining about a device that is least a decade old? Good luck finding a 10-yr old Bose or Bluesound device that still has any software support. And please, don’t call Bose semi-high end (except maybe for their headphones).

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

You realize you are complaining about a device that is least a decade old? Good luck finding a 10-yr old Bose or Bluesound device that still has any software support. And please, don’t call Bose semi-high end (except maybe for their headphones).

I don’t think that in this case the age is the point.  I had 6 S2 devices that I’d call ‘prior’ generation devices, all bought new and less than 10yrs ago (3 x Connect:amps, 2 x play:1’s and a Connect) that all broke with the update pushed out late last year.   That is over £2000 pounds worth.  It is not ‘supporting’ these devices if the update renders them unable to stream.  I’ve mentioned it before, I have a £25 Echo Dot that is a more reliable streamer.  I think there is a genuine cause for grievance here, after all Sonos could have twilighted these earlier gen devices on the release of S2 but they didn’t.  I’m already in the process of replacing what I have and so far I’ve paid over £1000 already.  To replace the remaining prior gen devices will set me back about another £1800.  Do I feel aggrieved , heck yeah I do.  Wouldn’t you ?  

andrew s 

Not really the point is it, I have 3 CA’s that all started playing up last year, this is obviously software related and not down to the kit itself for them all to develop the same fault at the same time. I am currently going round in circles with tech support whilst they are trying to pick a fault with everything other than their kit,  I have implemented every change they have suggested  but still the only thing that cures the issue in the short term is a hard reset / power down. Clutching at straws springs to mind, as the don’t want to admit they have effectively bricked 100’s if not 1000’s of units that are officially still supported by them. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I bought my S2 Connect that is suffering from this in 2019….

I bought my S2 Connect that is suffering from this in 2019….

Exactly it shouldn’t matter when they were bought they are still supported and they have clearly caused this and it needs to be sorted. 

The Bose products i have dont need software support for 10 years, they just keep working, which dosent seem to be the case for sonos. If you have a product that continuously need to be tweeked and updated to work then thats not a product for me. I want a finished product.

I truly regret spending money on sonos thinking that this would last a bit longer than the warranty, when there were other brands with the same functions.

Coming late to this discussion, I've run S1 app without ever upgrading to S2 as I have an older connect. I've a mesh WiFi running and it's definitely the connect that's the issue, no other issues with a selection of play ones, a play 3 and playbar. 30% discount to me isn't acceptable as it's a design issue on the connect and if it's memory related the S1 app/software should reflect this. All I want is access to Plex, Sonos radio and a podcast app. Sonos should fix this as it was never an issue previously.

Coming late to this discussion, I've run S1 app without ever upgrading to S2 as I have an older connect. I've a mesh WiFi running and it's definitely the connect that's the issue, no other issues with a selection of play ones, a play 3 and playbar. 30% discount to me isn't acceptable as it's a design issue on the connect and if it's memory related the S1 app/software should reflect this. All I want is access to Plex, Sonos radio and a podcast app. Sonos should fix this as it was never an issue previously.

Up until this point I had no idea that running with S1 is also an issue, going on information from other discussions downgrading was a sure fire way to stop the drop outs. Incidentally my Move gen1 started dropping out the other day at the same time as my connect amps, I guess this will just go on and on with Sonos denying any responsibility, they have now asked me to call them to go through some live troubleshooting! Not holding my hopes up! 

Don't hold your breath with live support their knowledge is likely less than yours. Changed my WiFi recently and lost the S1 app, call abandoned after 1 hour with NO solution from their side. I fixed it myself by renaming the network and starting again. Sonos once had this market, but now they most definitely are also rans.

On occasion a defective CONNECT:AMP can cause network issues. Experiment with powering down one at a time.

In terms of network stability, reserve IP addresses for all regular network clients.