F.A.Q.

BT Smart Hub 2 - Connection Issues (April 2021)

BT Smart Hub 2 - Connection Issues (April 2021)
Badge +17

Update - 11th June 2021:

BT have confirmed that the firmware update that contains a fix for this original issue has been rolled out to the majority of users. Therefore, we can consider this issue closed. 

If your BT Smart Hub 2 router is still running the affected firmware (V0.26.03.01286) then please get in touch with BT directly.

Anyone that still experiences issues on the latest firmware, please create a new topic or get in touch with Sonos Customer Care.

Update - 7th May 2021:

BT have issued a new statement:

We’re aware that a very small number of customers are experiencing an issue with their BT Smart Hub 2 connecting with multiple streaming devices on their Wi-Fi network. Any customer who experiences this should get in touch with BT who will update their device remotely as soon as possible. BT will be rolling out an update to all devices later this month. We’re sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Original post - 22nd April 2021:

Hey everyone,

We’re aware of an issue affecting Sonos users with BT Smart Hub 2 routers that causes problems with connecting to players in a wireless configuration. This is caused by a bug in the BT Smart Hub 2’s firmware (version V0.26.03.01286) which prevents devices on the 5GHz band from communicating with devices on the 2.4GHz band, and vice versa. Most of the affected users have iPhones running iOS version 14.4.2, but we have seen other types of controller, such as Android devices, affected by this issue as well.

The most consistent workaround we have discovered is to disable the 5GHz band on the BT Smart Hub 2. You can learn more about how to do this using these steps:

Please be aware, turning off 5GHz could affect the speed at which other devices connect through the network and should only be considered a temporary workaround.

Steps taken from a post on the BT Community.

1) Open a new web browser on a device connected to your Hub and type 192.168.1.254 in the address bar. This will open the Hub Manager.

2) Click Wireless. This will open the Wireless Settings page.

3) Select ‘Change settings

4) Enter the Admin password. This is found on the back of the router and on the removable card. Click ‘OK

5) Toggle 5GHz OFF

6) Click 'Save'

7) Click 'Yes' at the warning prompt.

8) Wait for your devices to reconnect. You may need to reboot your Sonos devices by powering them down for 30 seconds and powering them back up.

Alternatively, some users have been able to work around the issue by wiring a player directly to the router, though this doesn’t work in every case. Systems that have a Sonos Move or Roam on them will also not be helped by this change, so disabling 5GHz would be best for those households.

We recommend that you report this issue to BT with the following information:

“Devices connected to the 5GHz band are not able to communicate with devices connected to the 2.4GHz band and it appears the connections are being erroneously isolated.”

You don’t need to specifically mention Sonos devices when reporting this issue to BT as the information alone will be enough for them to recognize the issue you’re facing.

BT are indeed aware of this issue and are actively investigating and working to resolve it as quickly as possible. We’ll update this post with any further news as and when we receive it.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

261 replies

Evening all..

Just to let you know after saying all was working ok after getting on to BT.. ITs back to its usual here one minute gone the next!

S2 works ok (have a boost) but move and roam disappear from some devices.. if I switch Wi-fi off then back on, sometimes they come back briefly.

S1 is the same.. I remember though S1 was a pig to set up… my old BT Hub I had to turn off 5ghz, (even though it had its own SSID) to set up and once all sorted I could put 5ghz back on and all was ok.

This new SM2 I can’t do that so screwed!

come on SONOS surely you can sort this… some one is at fault…?!?!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I’ve tried disabling 5ghz and I know it resolves this specific issue, but it’s like solving one problem by creating another one - causing issues for my experience using the internet on other devices. It moves my speed from 150MB down to less than 30MB. This is rubbish when working from home or trying to watch content on the TV. 

Has there been anything occur like this with BT historically and if so, how quick are they to respond? I’m considering temporarily moving a speaker into the utility cupboard, I won’t be able to use it, but at least it will help with the connection issues. 

30Mbps is more than enough to stream 4k UHD. You should be able to stream at least three of those simultaneously over 30Mbps, probably more depending on the compression level.

Yes, historically BT have released firmware updates every few years that borked Sonos compatibility. Their QA department leaves a lot to be desired. (Although they probably just ODM a cheap router from China and skip the QA entirely).

Userlevel 1

As you are all finding out, any reboot, factory reset, turning 5GHZ off all appears to be temporary fixes. I also have nanoleaf smart lights that are unresponsive whenever Sonos is also. Because like the Sonos, the lights live on the 2.4ghz network. Here one minute, gone the next. 

Userlevel 1

Update from BT complaints, acknowledging it’s a an issue with the firmware (yay). Priority 1 issue and should be fixed in the coming days. Only affects devices connected directly to the SH2 apparently and devices connected to the wifi discs would be unaffected. Was already looking to replace it myself with a Ubiquity UniFi Dream Machine. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Update from BT complaints, acknowledging it’s a an issue with the firmware (yay). Priority 1 issue and should be fixed in the coming days. Only affects devices connected directly to the SH2 apparently and devices connected to the wifi discs would be unaffected. Was already looking to replace it myself with a Ubiquity UniFi Dream Machine. 

Wonderful news, thanks

I always told my kids that “pestering wouldn't get you anywhere” but i was proved wrong in this case! 

Thanks for the update, this makes sense as I can still use the one speaker that uses a disc

Lets hope BT keep their word and sort the firmware out quick. Just has them install FTTP yesterday, I’m sitting there thinking this is all going to be singing and dancing but can’t connect my 3 play 1s. £600 of speakers practically bricked by BT and me wishing I’d stuck with Sky! Yes I can get it working with an ethernet cable but I don’t want a thick piece of yellow wire connecting up a wireless system straddling my shelves.

Hiya. Another fed up BT customer with SH2 and was unable to keep connected my new SONOS kit. 
On Monday I raised a complaint with BT as suggested. I’ve just tried my Sonos and fingers crossed seems to be connecting! 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hiya. Another fed up BT customer with SH2 and was unable to keep connected my new SONOS kit. 
On Monday I raised a complaint with BT as suggested. I’ve just tried my Sonos and fingers crossed seems to be connecting! 

The BT firmware hasn’t been update yet. If you’re connecting it’s likely because your smart phone has dropped on to the 2.4ghz frequency. 

I’m also just off the phone with BT complaints department. They have confirmed known issue being treated as a Priority, they are ‘HOPING’ it will be sorted by mid part of next week.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Interesting regarding the discs.
Had ours off since the Smart Hub 2 arrived as hasn’t got around to it and then distracted by this whole charade. 

Just connected the disc upstairs to the SH2 and straight away the 2 Ones upstairs connected to it and sure enough they show up in the Sonos App. 

The downstairs speakers won’t connect to the disc as the SH2 is far stronger downstairs. 

So maybe the issue is solely BT’s then.
Still. Why does the Ring camera work but the Sonos gear doesn’t. Strange. 

Fingers crossed they come good sooner rather than later then now. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Of course this is solely BT’s issue. The fact your Ring works is not at all “strange” because it doesn’t do a device-device connection: the camera goes out to the internet. Their app on your phone goes out to the internet. Even BT don’t get device->internet wrong. Sonos needs device-to-device, on your local network, to function correctly, so when BT make some devices (5GHz) not connect to some other devices (2.4GHz) on the same damn network then Sonos’ whole network model breaks down.

The BT firmware hasn’t been update yet. If you’re connecting it’s likely because your smart phone has dropped on to the 2.4ghz frequency. 

Oh!! I thought it was too good to be true! 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Of course this is solely BT’s issue. The fact your Ring works is not at all “strange” because it doesn’t do a device-device connection: the camera goes out to the internet. Their app on your phone goes out to the internet. Even BT don’t get device->internet wrong. Sonos needs device-to-device, on your local network, to function correctly, so when BT make some devices (5GHz) not connect to some other devices (2.4GHz) on the same damn network then Sonos’ whole network model breaks down.

Cool. Like I’ve said. Im no tech head so if a device on 2.4ghz works with my phone but another device doesn’t then yes, to me it’s ‘strange’.

Device to device or device to internet means nothing to the vast majority of us and like me probably don’t even now whether that’s the case or not for a particular product. 

So whilst it may be ‘obvious’ to you that these differences exist don’t assume we all understand those differences and how they play out in this instance.

Maybe Sonos could have added more explanation which wouldn’t then lead to people querying why some things work and some don’t when the conditions appear on the surface to be the same.

(As a side point though, I’d still be curious as to why Sonos use only 2.4ghz apart from that’s what hardware they have, more why that was chosen and not the ability to use both)

Userlevel 1

Cool. Like I’ve said. Im no tech head so if a device on 2.4ghz works with my phone but another device doesn’t then yes, to me it’s ‘strange’.

Device to device or device to internet means nothing to the vast majority of us and like me probably don’t even now whether that’s the case or not for a particular product. 

So whilst it may be ‘obvious’ to you that these differences exist don’t assume we all understand those differences and how they play out in this instance.

Maybe Sonos could have added more explanation which wouldn’t then lead to people querying why some things work and some don’t when the conditions appear on the surface to be the same.

(As a side point though, I’d still be curious as to why Sonos use only 2.4ghz apart from that’s what hardware they have, more why that was chosen and not the ability to use both)

In simple terms the 2.4Ghz range is better over longer distances. 5GHZ is better over short distances. So for a whole home music streaming experience, 2.4Ghz is the right choice. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

In simple terms the 2.4Ghz range is better over longer distances. 5GHZ is better over short distances. So for a whole home music streaming experience, 2.4Ghz is the right choice. 

Thanks for the reply. Makes sense on that regard. 

I wonder then would it still not be of some benefit to have both the bands available but for the device to default to 2.4ghz with the 5ghz as a back up so to speak. Regardless I don’t want to sidetrack the discussion from the issue at hand and with any luck in the coming days those of us with the SH2 will all be sorted. 

BT responded to my complaint yesterday but didn't appear to understand this particular issue and could only advise changing both the 2.4GHz  and 5GHz channel numbers .

This hasn't made any difference and today still getting “Unable to connect to Sonos” today on all three control devices 2 iPhones and 1 iPad.

Badge

I have been having the same issue for about a week. Did the online chat with sonos and they talked me through changing some settings on th but home hub 2, but I have the same issue again today. Please can we get a resolution to fix it once and for all

My Move has disconnected from my system for no apparent reason. I have tried to reconnect, then gave it a factory reset, and finally tried a sequential reboot of the whole system as suggested elsewhere on here.

None of it works.
I now have a Move which is on my system but will not register. 

Badge

I have the same issue, followed all the advice still not working

If using a BT Smart Hub 2 Router, then perhaps see this link:

Badge +20

I have been having the same issue for about a week. Did the online chat with sonos and they talked me through changing some settings on th but home hub 2, but I have the same issue again today. Please can we get a resolution to fix it once and for all

It’s a BT issue, your options are

Call BT and complain.

Buy another suitable router

Change ISP who supplies a decent router (Zen)

Badge

Thank goodness for this forum, have been going insane with the same issue. I have raised a complaint and by coincidence have a BT engineer coming on Friday because our broadband speed has halved too!

I have the same issue since the firmware update last week.  Disabled 5Ghz which solved the issue but then connection speeds on 2.4Ghz were causing other issues.  Contacted BT this evening who reviewed the hub and there was a fault so they are sending a replacement.  Based on the earlier comments I guess this won’t solve the problem until the firmware is fixed, fingers crossed.

Badge

Have complained to BT - thanks