F.A.Q.

BT Smart Hub 2 - Connection Issues (April 2021)

BT Smart Hub 2 - Connection Issues (April 2021)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

261 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

This issue has garbaged my Sonos for weeks- extremely disappointing. It can only have been caused by a Sonos app update. How can Sonos blame BT?! 

I finally solved it by turning off Smart Setup on the Home Hub then resetting it. This keeps 5gz.

Hey; I am also having the same issue with a Hue Sync Box on 2.4ghz that I can’t reach with the controller from 5ghz.. so I’m pretty comfortable that this is a BT issue.

It also started happening around 2nd week of April which is exactly when my Smart Hub 2 firmware was updated by BT..

Thanks for the original post and the update from BT. Just letting folks know that I contacted them about this issue a few minutes ago and they didn’t admit to having a fix yet. They just reiterated that they would sort it ‘as soon as they could’...:rolling_eyes:  

My Sonos system and various other devices were working with this router before the firmware update in April. I wasn’t 100% sure what update had caused the issue but it now looks like it’s the BT one! (there is also page on this on BT support) 

So just to confirm after 24 hours that firmware v0.26.04.04227-BT hasn't been the total success I had hoped. Things seem more stable and I have managed numerous hours of sonos use with 5ghz enabled. However dropouts are unpredictable and I cannot identify what is causing the issues. One minute I can see the sonos system and the next I can't. Things are improving clearly but still not the final fix that is needed 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Add me to the list of people having trouble with this BT update.

I’m not a Sonos user, but I started having difficulty playing media over DLNA on my PS4 in early April. I switched to a spare Chromecast which was equally problematic. I then realised it was all related to how 2.4ghz devices interacted with 5ghz devices, and here we are. I made a thread on the BT forum, and then found this one.

Let’s hope they get this sorted.

Thanks for sharing.. good to know the wider impacts beyond just Sonos use

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Today Firmware updated to v0.26.04.04227-BT after contacting BT Team through BT Community thread.

Router restarted, 5ghz turned back on and all seems to be working fine on all devices

Had an update from BT to say my case is closed, but still no connection on Play 1, they are now saying 4/5 weeks to sort it, its really not good enough!

Hi, just disabled the 5Ghz connection and now all of my Sonos equipment connected straight away with the app. Thanks for the info as I’ve been pulling my hair out trying to sort this out. 👍

Badge

I logged a complaint last week with BT, they closed it without contacting me and I can see the firmware has not been updated. So this morning  have re-opened the complaint and told them to contact me. It’s causing Sonos issues and also wireless printing issues. Let hope for a solution soon

I logged a complaint last week with BT, they closed it without contacting me and I can see the firmware has not been updated. So this morning  have re-opened the complaint and told them to contact me. It’s causing Sonos issues and also wireless printing issues. Let hope for a solution soon

Which firmware are you running on your hub mate please ?

Hi there,

This month I switched from Sky to BT and I have since had issues updating my WiFi password in the Sonos 2 app.  

The Beam itself has connected to the internet as Alexa is working, for example, but the app keeps stating that the Beam isn’t connected to the internet and it won’t accept my password.  As a result, I can’t access my account details on the App (it is greyed out) and I can’t Airplay music to it either.

I have tried deleting the app, turning off the Beam, etc, to no avail.

Do you think this issue is related to the problem reported on this thread (as I have the Smart Hub 2 router), or something else?

Thank you,

Simon 

Badge

If need to check the number, but last updated early April 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi there,

This month I switched from Sky to BT and I have since had issues updating my WiFi password in the Sonos 2 app.  

The Beam itself has connected to the internet as Alexa is working, for example, but the app keeps stating that the Beam isn’t connected to the internet and it won’t accept my password.  As a result, I can’t access my account details on the App (it is greyed out) and I can’t Airplay music to it either.

I have tried deleting the app, turning off the Beam, etc, to no avail.

Do you think this issue is related to the problem reported on this thread (as I have the Smart Hub 2 router), or something else?

Thank you,

Simon 

Sounds like it Simon.. have you tried disabling the 5ghz band from the routers’ home/admin page? http://192.168.1.254.. the fact that the Beam can play internet streamed content/connect to Alexa but you can’t manage it from the controller app sounds like it would be related to this issue.

Anyone experiencing similar problems with other devices such as wireless printers ?

Our HP Envy 5030 is refusing to operate but says connected to router but remains invisible to laptop iPads and iPhones.

Yes I’m having this problem with my Epson XP-8600 as well as my Sonos speakers …. I’ve submitted a complaint to BT

Update from BT - spoke to a nice lady who suggested I switch all products working on 5ghz to 2.4ghz! Not what I signed up for … I’m leaving BT when the contract expires :-)  

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi, just disabled the 5Ghz connection and now all of my Sonos equipment connected straight away with the app. Thanks for the info as I’ve been pulling my hair out trying to sort this out. 👍

Works reliably as a fix/proof point for me.. but I can’t keep the 5ghz band off as then my tv streaming services drop to potato-cam resolution.. this needs a proper permanent fix between BT/Sonos

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

My BT complaint has also been closed even though I didn’t close it??

I contacted help, but couldn’t really get anywhere.

I have all of my Sonos speakers linked to a Boost, apart from my Move, which can’t attach to a Boost.

The Sonos speakers that are attached to the Boost are ok, but the Move is pretty much unusable.

It doesn’t show up on my iPhone app & responds to my ‘Alexa’ prompt, but doesn’t complete the task I ask?

For example, tonight I asked Alexa on the Move to “Play 5Live” it responds with “Playing 5Live” only to not play anything???

I have tried this 4 times with no luck….

I noticed that every time I asked Alexa, the white light on top of the unit flashes a few times, but nothing happens???

Even weirder is that the Move shows up on my Wife’s Android S2 app, but not the iPhones S2 app??

I am at a loss with the poor connection issues I am experiencing with Sonos….🤦‍♂️

Thank you.

I have checked that page and under the ‘2.4Ghz’ - Sonos ZP is listed - I presume that is the Beam?

If I turn off the 5.Ghz, do you think it will effect the internet connections to my other devices?

Thanks again

I have all of my Sonos speakers linked to a Boost, apart from my Move, which can’t attach to a Boost.

The Sonos speakers that are attached to the Boost are ok, but the Move is pretty much unusable.

It doesn’t show up on my iPhone app & responds to my ‘Alexa’ prompt, but doesn’t complete the task I ask?

For example, tonight I asked Alexa on the Move to “Play 5Live” it responds with “Playing 5Live” only to not play anything???

I noticed that every time I asked Alexa, the white light on top of the unit flashes a few times, but nothing happens???

Even weirder is that the Move shows up on my Wife’s Android S2 app, but not the iPhones S2 app??

I am at a loss with the poor connection issues I am experiencing with Sonos….🤦‍♂️

sounds like exactly what’s been happening since the firmware update. The wireless devices can’t see each other properly. Nothing you can do until BT fix it. I raised a complaint with them following the link given above and after a couple of days they got in touch and updated it. Too early to say whether it’s fixed things yet but so far so good.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

sounds like exactly what’s been happening since the firmware update. The wireless devices can’t see each other properly. Nothing you can do until BT fix it. I raised a complaint with them following the link given above and after a couple of days they got in touch and updated it. Too early to say whether it’s fixed things yet but so far so good.

I thought as much….

The whole system has gone off again tonight, with only a full reset getting them back working.

I think I might switch them off until this update has been issued, as it’s getting beyond frustrating to live with….🤬

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I thought as much….

The whole system has gone off again tonight, with only a full reset getting them back working.

I think I might switch them off until this update has been issued, as it’s getting beyond frustrating to live with….🤬

Did you actually read the initial post at all? Disable 5GHz. That’s it. Quit blaming Sonos for BT’s mess.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I thought as much….

Did you actually read the initial post at all? Disable 5GHz. That’s it. Quit blaming Sonos for BT’s mess.

I have read all the posts & calm down, aren’t forums made for venting your anger??

Plus, if you read my post properly I’m not directly blaming Sonos for anything….🤦‍♂️

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @nomadski 

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Looking at the update date it was today, 12th May, so maybe they have removed the recent firmwares from the update process?

I think this is a safe bet.

I’m also suffering this BT Hub 2 issue. Firmare wv0.26.03.01286-BT  

My iPhone will not connect although my iPad and MacBook are more reliable with the Sonos app. The phone (11 pro)  though has so many issues. The only thing I’ve not tried is the switching off of 5ghz. If I reboot everything it works for 24 hours and then all starts again. 

This is very interesting a good to know as I’ve been pulling my hair out for the last few weeks.

I have 2 x Play1, 1 x OneSL, 1 x Beam and 1 x Boost

Ive been having connectivity issues and a couple of weeks ago we couldn’t connect at all.

Today I have unplugged my Boost and hardwire the Beam instead - all seems to be working again. Not ideal though as the Boost is new 🙄🙄

is this only an issue with the Smart Hub 2 as we’re thinking of moving over to Virgin anyway, so hoping the issue will resolve itself?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Me too, i have Play 3, X2 Play 1, Beam, Move and Roam and its completely screwed up my connectivity via both iOS app and mac controller. Only solution to switch off the 5ghz on the SH2 and wait for bloody BT to get their act together

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Sounds like the Boost is pretty much redundant until this issue is sorted out then.

Hopefully BT will pull their fingers out and provide a fix soon!

Forgot to add, i have a Boost too, bought it 2 weeks ago when this started, all worked fine at first and the the roam and move started playing up again and showing up in the 5ghz channel ?? Will keep the boost tho anyway (even the the move and roam dont use Sonosnet) may be useful in future!