F.A.Q.

BT Smart Hub 2 - Connection Issues (April 2021)

BT Smart Hub 2 - Connection Issues (April 2021)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

261 replies

Badge

I recently started having the same issue with a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X and an AC Lite setup. Are you aware of this?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Another slight update…

The Sonos One’s are voice control with Alexa set up. 
If I ask Alexa to play something it will also result in the One’s (in a stereo pair) to show back up in the Sonos App/work with Airplay. 
They will disappear again but for some reason using Alexa brings them ‘back’ for a bit. 

I just tried this. I did manage to play music by asking Alexa. I could then control music through the Spotify App. Unfortunately (for me) the Sonos app still didn’t work. 

Good that I can still play music, but it’s infuriating that we’re all having this issue.  

Also, just tried to cast BT sport from my iPhone (5 GHz) to my TV via Chromecast which is 2.4Ghz. Doesn’t work. Confirms it’s a BT Smart Hub issue to me. 

Interesting. 

Whereas the Ring camera at mine works perfectly well being on 2.4ghz and the phone interacting on 5ghz. 

I haven’t tried casting anything to TV yet. IIRC correctly they are all on the 2.4ghz band though. 
Something to look into at some point. 

I still largely agree this is probably more a BT issue than Sonos but I still think there’s ultimately more to it and it’s more likely a few things not playing nicely. 

Something from Sonos would be nice though seeing as we are all basically going around in circles. 

Have we had anymore from Sonos on this?

I am still of the opinion this is more than just BT at fault although I don’t doubt the Smart Hub 2 router may be causing headaches. 

The original post states this is an issue to do with devices on 2.4ghz being unable to communicate with devices on 5ghz such as your phone when using the Sonos App. 
However, like I said in my earlier post I was beginning to experience the same issues prior to getting the Smart Hub 2. 
So from my perspective it’s either a bad Sonos update. An issue with the last IOS update. A problem with BT or a combination of them all. 

I feel this way as upon further investigation on my setup/network I have a mixture of devices from different companies and ultimately the only devices I can not reliably interact with and control are the Sonos devices (2x Ones and 2x Symfonisks). 

I initially stated that the Amazon Echo Dot 4’s where fine and completely unaffected, and that remains the case, however at the time I didn’t realise that the Dot’s worked on both 2.4ghz or 5ghz so I’ve ruled them out for fairness. (Although why are £50 speakers dual band yet £200 ones are 2.4ghz only? Not a dig as such. Genuinely curious as the the reasoning behind the choice). 

However, at the time of my first post I completely forgot about the Ring camera that’s on the 2.4ghz band and has been completely unaffected by the change to the Smart Hub 2. 
The app works absolutely fine and I have full control of all functions and settings and the camera doesn’t ‘disappear’ like the Sonos speakers do in the Sonos App. 
So if the issue is that the BT Smart Hub 2 won’t let devices on different bands talk, then why can the Ring camera on 2.4ghz communicate perfectly fine with my iPhone on 5ghz yet the Sonos set up completely fails to do so. 

Like I said in my original post, it’s seems to me at least somewhat too easy to just blame BT outright. 

Happy for someone to pick that apart as I’m no tech person and just stating what’s happening for me. 

I would definitely like to hear more from Sonos too. 

I agree, I have multiple devices and the only ones affected are SONOS.

I reported this to BT last week and they remotely upgraded firmware to v0.26.04.04227-BT

Switched 5ghz back on and initially worked like a charm.  However after 24 hours back to same problem - can’t see Sonos, plus various other devices using 2.4ghz can’t be seen by items on 5ghz.  Only option is to switch off 5ghz.  Hopefully new firmware being launched by BT fixes this quickly as very very frustrated right now.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Another slight update…

The Sonos One’s are voice control with Alexa set up. 
If I ask Alexa to play something it will also result in the One’s (in a stereo pair) to show back up in the Sonos App/work with Airplay. 
They will disappear again but for some reason using Alexa brings them ‘back’ for a bit. 

I just tried this. I did manage to play music by asking Alexa. I could then control music through the Spotify App. Unfortunately (for me) the Sonos app still didn’t work. 

Good that I can still play music, but it’s infuriating that we’re all having this issue.  

Also, just tried to cast BT sport from my iPhone (5 GHz) to my TV via Chromecast which is 2.4Ghz. Doesn’t work. Confirms it’s a BT Smart Hub issue to me. 

Thanks Mal

Great Detective work, you should be in AC-12

Jesus, Mary and Joseph and the wee donkey 😀

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Glad I stumbled across this thread. I have the same router, but had not noticed any issues with Sonos (probably not noticed as I use Boost and Sonosnet) But had been having problems with a HP wireless printer which was resolved by disabling the 2.4Ghz network. I’ve noticed that the router has since updated to the v0.26.04.04227-BT firmware mentioned. I’ll test to see if that has resolved the issue. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

So, my comment 5 posts ago was a bit premature^ after only just having received the update, 4 days later and everything now works, all the time.  The new firmware does fix the issue but there may be some short term issues before it settles down.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I’ve tried disabling 5ghz and I know it resolves this specific issue, but it’s like solving one problem by creating another one - causing issues for my experience using the internet on other devices. It moves my speed from 150MB down to less than 30MB. This is rubbish when working from home or trying to watch content on the TV. 

Has there been anything occur like this with BT historically and if so, how quick are they to respond? I’m considering temporarily moving a speaker into the utility cupboard, I won’t be able to use it, but at least it will help with the connection issues. 

30Mbps is more than enough to stream 4k UHD. You should be able to stream at least three of those simultaneously over 30Mbps, probably more depending on the compression level.

Yes, historically BT have released firmware updates every few years that borked Sonos compatibility. Their QA department leaves a lot to be desired. (Although they probably just ODM a cheap router from China and skip the QA entirely).

Userlevel 1

As you are all finding out, any reboot, factory reset, turning 5GHZ off all appears to be temporary fixes. I also have nanoleaf smart lights that are unresponsive whenever Sonos is also. Because like the Sonos, the lights live on the 2.4ghz network. Here one minute, gone the next. 

Hiya. Another fed up BT customer with SH2 and was unable to keep connected my new SONOS kit. 
On Monday I raised a complaint with BT as suggested. I’ve just tried my Sonos and fingers crossed seems to be connecting! 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hiya. Another fed up BT customer with SH2 and was unable to keep connected my new SONOS kit. 
On Monday I raised a complaint with BT as suggested. I’ve just tried my Sonos and fingers crossed seems to be connecting! 

The BT firmware hasn’t been update yet. If you’re connecting it’s likely because your smart phone has dropped on to the 2.4ghz frequency.