F.A.Q.

BT Smart Hub 2 - Connection Issues (April 2021)

BT Smart Hub 2 - Connection Issues (April 2021)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

261 replies

Badge

On the phone with BT now.  Unfortunately my advisor doesn’t know anything of the issue and has put me on hold.  update … they have suggested a roll out this week.  They have added my hub to an escalation list to get patch/fixed first.

Just to update, my experience with v0.26.04.04227-BT firmware update seems to be good. Sonos app has been able to see the all speakers every time I’ve accessed it. It’s only been a day or so, but usually by now atleast one of my devices would have stopped seeing them by now. 

Since my last post my router has had a forced restart and touch wood everything since is back to normal. I can now see my sonos system with 5ghz switched back on and can control from both my laptop and mobile on 5ghz. My printer is also back playing nicely. Hopefully this is it sorted. Firmware v0.26.04.04227-BT for reference

I’ve had this problem and it now seems to be resolved 🤞

ive just upgraded to S2 because I’ve just got a Roam..

I wanted to then set up a separate S1 system for my play 5 gen1

on completing, one minute it would work then the next minute it wouldn’t.. roam and move would disappear on some iOS devices but be visible on others..

anyway did as suggested and spoke to BT.. They said they have made some changes and I would have to now reboot the smart hub 2.. they didn’t actually say what they have done..?

Anyway all is working as it should do at the moment 🤞just to confirm during this process I’ve not touched any of the speakers.. hub was just rebooted and once it came on I opened both apps and all was as it should be 👍

I am so glad I found this on here otherwise I’d still be messing about now trying all sorts of different things!

🤞all is ok come morning 😬

I’ve had similar issues with my play 5 & 3. My BT Hub has firmware v0.26.03.01286-BT dated 20/4/2020.  Today I ‘phoned the Sonos helpline and they could not have been more helpful. We spent 45 minutes going through the set up, I was told that there was a known issue with the hub and subsequently changed the hub settings by disabling the 5GhZ signal.  All works perfectly now. I also have ‘smart’ heating controls which have been causing a lot of problems recently, the ‘fix’ by Sonos also solved these issues.  Great service from Sonos.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’m a full sufferer of this issue.. whole system not appearing in the S2 app on 14.4.2 iOS. Disabling 5ghz works fine and all speakers available.. but streaming services on TV downgrade to very low bitrate over 2.4ghz so not workable.

Have hardwired a Play:1 but my Move won’t appear (assume it must be on 2.4 and not sonosnet and my phone is on 5).

Let’s hope BT get this sorted! I’ll be ringing and seeing if they can roll my firmware back.

So glad I’ve just come across this post - I knew things had been working absolutely perfectly until early April, and although I had figured out the temporary fix of switching off 5hrtz, I just couldn’t figure out what was causing the problem and thought I was losing my mind!

Let’s hope BT keep their promise to issue fix in four or five weeks time

I’m a full sufferer of this issue.. whole system not appearing in the S2 app on 14.4.2 iOS. Disabling 5ghz works fine and all speakers available.. but streaming services on TV downgrade to very low bitrate over 2.4ghz so not workable.

Have hardwired a Play:1 but my Move won’t appear (assume it must be on 2.4 and not sonosnet and my phone is on 5).

Let’s hope BT get this sorted! I’ll be ringing and seeing if they can roll my firmware back.

Sorry to hear of your problems.. have you been in touch with Sonos and sent a diag report to them? If not I would… could be something simple!

All is still working perfectly for me this morning.. and like I’ve said above I touched nothing on my system.. chatted to BT… who reset the hub (as it went back to original factory settings) it interestingly uses the same firmware as mentioned! Once the hub was back on, I changed my network Id and password to what we use here at home so all would connect (tv, iPad, phones etc) and a few minutes later all was good 👍

hope you get it all sorted 🤞

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Now on the BBC, that should do it

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56949262

Just to update, my experience with v0.26.04.04227-BT firmware update seems to be good. Sonos app has been able to see the all speakers every time I’ve accessed it. It’s only been a day or so, but usually by now atleast one of my devices would have stopped seeing them by now. 

How did you get the firmware update? BT are saying it could be several more weeks for everyone to get it. Is there a process to follow?

Thanks Nick.. man I was hoping against a whole router factory restore 😣 I’ve got SmartHome devices coming out my ears and I think even if I change the SSID back to what it was, everything will need set up again from scratch… there goes my weekend :-D

How have you got on?

I take it you updated to s2 FROM the s1 app? And it asked you to remove the s1 only speakers?

Just rang BT - they acknowledged the issue. Told me there was no individual router update. The only workaround they have is to remotely disconnect the 5ghz connection. I said the publicity on BBC gives the impression individual callers have router updated with a software update. I was told this is not correct - they are working on a fix and in the meantime the only solution is to temporarily turn off 5ghz connection which they have done remotely. They said fault lies with recent update to Home Hub 2 which they are working on. Hopefully sorted by end of May. 

This issue has garbaged my Sonos for weeks- extremely disappointing. It can only have been caused by a Sonos app update. How can Sonos blame BT?! 

I finally solved it by turning off Smart Setup on the Home Hub then resetting it. This keeps 5gz.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

This issue has garbaged my Sonos for weeks- extremely disappointing. It can only have been caused by a Sonos app update. How can Sonos blame BT?! 

I finally solved it by turning off Smart Setup on the Home Hub then resetting it. This keeps 5gz.

So you made no change to the Sonos environment, did make a change to the BT one, fixed the problem that way, but still want to blame Sonos? Even though lots of BT Smart Hub users have an issue that isn’t affecting users of other routers? 

For those asking how to get the update, raise a complaint with BT https://www.bt.com/help/complaints

Someone should call you back in a couple of days. Apparently there is a team internally looking at it. Be very clear with them it’s an acknowledged known issue, as the person might not be immediately aware of it. Mine wasn’t, but they eventually tracked it down and were able to help.

The firmware update seems to have resolved the issue for me. I went a couple of days without issue. However I’ve now installed a Sonos Boost, as I’d ordered this pre the new firmware coming out. Despite it looking like it’s been resolved I don’t trust there not to be issues again in the future. Everything working perfectly with the Boost in place. 

Thank you.

I have checked that page and under the ‘2.4Ghz’ - Sonos ZP is listed - I presume that is the Beam?

If I turn off the 5.Ghz, do you think it will effect the internet connections to my other devices?

Thanks again

It shouldn’t be a issue. All my devices are connecting fine. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I put this in another thread about the same issue but TLDR I contacted BT and they said my router had refused the update they tried to send (?) so I needed a new router. 

Set it up today and everything is going perfectly, just as it did before this mess started. Got my 5Ghz band on, no Sonos units wired, and everything works in the apps on pc, phone and tablets.

I assumed it had an advanced firmware preinstalled on it, but looking at it, it’s actually a really old firmware v0.24.04.11017-BT so I’m hoping it doesn’t do an update overnight and bork itself again…

Looking at the update date it was today, 12th May, so maybe they have removed the recent firmwares from the update process?

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I’m also suffering this BT Hub 2 issue. Firmare wv0.26.03.01286-BT  

My iPhone will not connect although my iPad and MacBook are more reliable with the Sonos app. The phone (11 pro)  though has so many issues. The only thing I’ve not tried is the switching off of 5ghz. If I reboot everything it works for 24 hours and then all starts again. 

That was the firmware my router that got replaced was on. Your router may have similarly ‘refused’ the recent update. 

Short term - don’t bother with router reboots as it just comes back, turn off the 5ghz band which does work but will slow your WiFi devices somewhat. 

Proper fix - contact BT directly, tell them your router is suffering the same problem the bbc article mentioned and your WiFi devices are not talking to each other on both bands. They will either force an update or see that an update was sent but failed and send you out a new router. 

Doesn’t cost anything and they provide a return label for you to post old router back to them.

Takes about 3 days for new router to arrive. 

Sounds like the Boost is pretty much redundant until this issue is sorted out then.

Hopefully BT will pull their fingers out and provide a fix soon!

Also experiencing this issue. Can see the firmware on my Hub updated on 8 April. Can I suggest you don’t just report to BT, but raise as a complaint here: https://www.bt.com/help/complaints it only takes a couple of minutes to complete the web form. Hopefully if there is enough complaints they will do something about it quicker. 

My router was updated this week & all seems ok at present. The Sonos speakers have been working quite well the last few days….

I don’t want to tempt fate, but hopefully the latest firmware update has done the trick for me….🤞

The new firmware is v0.26.04.04227-BT…. 🤞

Thanks Leigh,

i was on the phone earlier to them and they said the end of the month. My issue appears to be the mesh conflicting with BT routers Wi-fi. 

Like many others having the same issue a couple of questions (from a dumb user)

-  Has anyone tried giving different SSID’s names for the 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz leaving 5Ghz for TV and moving everything else to 2.4Ghz?

- I was thinking of buying a Boost but surprised to see this doesn’t work? Wouldn’t it be the same as connecting a speaker by ethernet?

Thanks for all the useful insights 

Hi Boost works same way as hard wiring one of the speakers, it creates its own mesh (Sonosnet) independent of the other 2.4ghz band. You can't change the SSID’s on the SH2. Move and Roam dont use Sonosnet and instead stick to the router supplied 2.4ghz band. The issue is that if you are trying to control sonos using an iPhone or device on the 5ghz band, it won't talk to sonos and vice-versa leaving products missing from menus, dropping in and out and just a total **** up really. Best thing is to disable 5ghz from the advanced menu (if sonos is important to you everyday) and wait for BT to sort it - dont forget to file a complaint as mentioned above

Matt,

Thanks that is really helpful - we don’t have a Move or Roam so the Boost would work for us.

As suggested I have a Complaint raised with BT

Thanks a lot

Just had a long E-chat with BT support.  They acknowledge the issue (albeit hinting it’s a Sonos generated problem).  They say the new update that resolves the problem will be ready by the end of May!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Update

Just ad BT engineer on the phone following me filing a complaint saying they had made some tweaks to my settings and “everything should be fine now”. in addition, they had turned my 5ghz back on. Difficult as i was in the middle of a meeting at the time so didn't have the opportunity to fully investigate. Bottom line is, the problem still remains and ive had to resort to using 2.4ghz only again as the Roam was not connecting to the iPhone iOS 14.5)

Whilst fiddling with the SH2 settings in advanced, i noticed the the iPhone  “Dual Band” setting had “No” selected with no facility to change this to yes, could this be a cause of the issue??

Going to get back on to BT, watch this space

Userlevel 1
Badge

Have we had anymore from Sonos on this?

I am still of the opinion this is more than just BT at fault although I don’t doubt the Smart Hub 2 router may be causing headaches. 

The original post states this is an issue to do with devices on 2.4ghz being unable to communicate with devices on 5ghz such as your phone when using the Sonos App. 
However, like I said in my earlier post I was beginning to experience the same issues prior to getting the Smart Hub 2. 
So from my perspective it’s either a bad Sonos update. An issue with the last IOS update. A problem with BT or a combination of them all. 

I feel this way as upon further investigation on my setup/network I have a mixture of devices from different companies and ultimately the only devices I can not reliably interact with and control are the Sonos devices (2x Ones and 2x Symfonisks). 

I initially stated that the Amazon Echo Dot 4’s where fine and completely unaffected, and that remains the case, however at the time I didn’t realise that the Dot’s worked on both 2.4ghz or 5ghz so I’ve ruled them out for fairness. (Although why are £50 speakers dual band yet £200 ones are 2.4ghz only? Not a dig as such. Genuinely curious as the the reasoning behind the choice). 

However, at the time of my first post I completely forgot about the Ring camera that’s on the 2.4ghz band and has been completely unaffected by the change to the Smart Hub 2. 
The app works absolutely fine and I have full control of all functions and settings and the camera doesn’t ‘disappear’ like the Sonos speakers do in the Sonos App. 
So if the issue is that the BT Smart Hub 2 won’t let devices on different bands talk, then why can the Ring camera on 2.4ghz communicate perfectly fine with my iPhone on 5ghz yet the Sonos set up completely fails to do so. 

Like I said in my original post, it’s seems to me at least somewhat too easy to just blame BT outright. 

Happy for someone to pick that apart as I’m no tech person and just stating what’s happening for me. 

I would definitely like to hear more from Sonos too.