ASUS Router firmware update 2020/11/26

• 3 December 2020
  • 71 replies

Show first post

71 replies

Thank you @flat3ric for sharing this information!

I’ve had problems over the last 2 weeks since updating my ASUS RT-AX58U to Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.10177. No matter what changes I made to the 2.4ghz or 5ghz setings, it wouldn’t allow my Sonos system to remain connected. Somehow it only affected my Beam+Sub+Surround setup and not my standalone Sonos One.

Once I reverted to the previous firmware 3.0.0.4.384.9918, all the problems went away!

For other ASUS users, you can manually download the firmware versions for RT-AX58U here: https://www.asus.com/Networking-IoT-Servers/Whole-Home-Mesh-WiFi-System/AiMesh-WiFi-Routers-and-Systems/RT-AX58U/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Will this work on a macbook?

Yes, it’s done through the web so it works on any OS. I did mine on my MacBook as well.

I’m on firmware 3.0.0.4.386_45375 on my RT-AX88U ASUS router and all my sonos kit has been stable since my last post :)

Badge

I’ve had problems over the last 2 weeks since updating my ASUS RT-AX58U to Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.10177. No matter what changes I made to the 2.4ghz or 5ghz setings, it wouldn’t allow my Sonos system to remain connected. Somehow it only affected my Beam+Sub+Surround setup and not my standalone Sonos One.

Once I reverted to the previous firmware 3.0.0.4.384.9918, all the problems went away!

For other ASUS users, you can manually download the firmware versions for RT-AX58U here: https://www.asus.com/Networking-IoT-Servers/Whole-Home-Mesh-WiFi-System/AiMesh-WiFi-Routers-and-Systems/RT-AX58U/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Will this work on a macbook?

Yes, it’s done through the web so it works on any OS. I did mine on my MacBook as well.

Thanks, looks like it worked.

How long before we can expect an update that don't f*** up Sonos-speakers..?

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the community guidelines.

I am also having issues with ASUS RT-AC68U router not recognizing Sonos Connect Amps correctly all the time (not displaying on the network map when I log into the router). They are wired directly to the router. Similarly my wife and i do not see all of the systems on our phones or will see different systems each time.  I have disabled Airtime Fairness which is the Sonos advised fix for this router. I have read that putting the ConnectAmps on a switch before the router may help and will try.

However in case that does not work...is there a known prior firmware that may work (currently have 3.0.0.4.386_40558. Thanks for any help.

Hi, I just want to inform others that the latest firmware for ASUS RT-AX58U, released on the 26th of
November, will make the Sonos speakers stop working (Confirmed on Play:1 and Play3).

I have tried to factory reset the speakers and reconfigure them but without success.
I don’t exactly know what is causing this, but a roll back to previous firmware resolved the issue. 

The latest ASUS ZenWiFi Router firmware update (Version 3.0.0.4.386.26044) also causes the Beam to flake out. Rolling the update back fixes the problem.

Just dropping in to say the roll back firmware fix worked for me and my system. I have an Asus RT-AX58U, Sonos Play:5 and Sonos One (used mainly with Spotify). Was previously using the latest firmware update (Version 9.0.0.4.386.41994). Rolled back manually to Version 3.0.0.4.384.9918 and everything works again. No more dropping out or connectivity issues. Thank you!

biggest problem is completely of the lack of static
IP address / mac-address assignment via sonos own application this must be set via router using ASUS RT-AC51C myself and had a lot of problems with these sonos one gen2

everything from a unsuccessful firmware update to the fact that it is no longer possible to disconnect stereo pairs from each other and as an IT nerd, these are various problems that require action from sonos, which has been going on for a very long time.

regarding the problem with the Asus router firmware update report this problem directly to ASUS make your reporting as detailed as possible for a good solution to this problem

for this problem, sonos will not fix

Asus will probably come out with a new firmware update for your router that will solve the problem

I just bought the RT-AX86U and having some serious issues with my older SONOS system. It keeps dropping connection after a few hours. It connects with no problems but after a few hours I’m no longer able to control SONOS even though it shows connected in my ASUS router software. I have tried all the above without success. I’m on the latest firmware as well 2840. Please any help would be appreciated as I never had any issues with my Netgear Router that I replaced after 8 years of solid use. I thought I was upgrading to newer and better technology only to have my SONOS system malfunction now. 

Badge

@dmcd  I am using ac68u as well running 3.0.0.4.385_20633

No issue so far with beam, sub 2nd gen, 2 x play:1 and 2 x symfonisk bookshelf, I guess I would to stop updating the firmware until Asus fixed it thanks all for sharing 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @bthart.

Thanks for sharing with us this workaround that you did.

Hopefully, this will also help those who are experiencing the same situation.

If you may have questions or run into any issues,  please let us know.

You are always welcome here in the community.

Cheers!

Hi, I just want to inform others that the latest firmware for ASUS RT-AX58U, released on the 26th of
November, will make the Sonos speakers stop working (Confirmed on Play:1 and Play3).

I have tried to factory reset the speakers and reconfigure them but without success.
I don’t exactly know what is causing this, but a roll back to previous firmware resolved the issue. 

This 100% Solved my issue!!!!

Hello!

Have someone test the new firmware for AX58u?

2021/01/26:   3.0.0.4.386.41700

There’s at least one thing in that response I’d take issue to.

The setting of the channel bandwidth to 40 Mhz is odd, at least to my understanding, and offers increased opportunity for interference.

But then again, I’m not a networking expert, so I’ll leave that for others to dissect. 

It does seem like a form letter, not specific to Sonos, but there is some valid suggestions, I think, in it. 

New version released for the AX58U (3.0.0.4.386.42095), any brave soul that will give it a try?

For AX82U, I just tried the current firmware as well as the most recent beta, and still the same problem. 

Rolled back to 3.0.0.4.384_9948 and everything is working again.

Confirm the same issue with an ASUS RT AX86U, Play3 and Play1. Oddly, the Move unit was not affected. Same symptoms after updating the firmware in early January, each Play unit would drop in and out. Rebooting either the router or the Play would bring it back for a little bit, then it would drop out again. 

Rolling back the firmware (using Method 2 from this page: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008000/) from Version:3.0.0.4.386.41535 back to Version 3.0.0.4.384_9318 solved the issue. 

I submitted a help request via e.mail to ASUS, and pointed them to this page. I’d encourage anyone else with this issue to do the same, to raise awareness.

Thanks for this, I had the same problems with play 1, play 3 and playbar, roll back worked perfectly 

Today i finally took the time to dive into this problem. I had the exact same problems as TS with my Sonos Beam and Asus RT-AX58U. Just as everybody did, i'd reset all stuff without any luck. Thanks to this topic i ended up with a working solution and i am happy to share it with the rest of you. Hopefully it helps!

What i did is manually upload the latest BETA release of the Asus RT-AX58U 9.0.0.4.386_41994 found here: https://www.asus.com/Networking-IoT-Servers/WiFi-6/All-series/RT-AX58U/HelpDesk_BIOS/

After update it wasn't working for 100%. It seemed little buggy, the golden tip here was from user @j_a_kjellberg:

So started fiddling with wifi settings i hadnt touched before. I did a toggle enable(default) ->disable->enable on IGMP Snooping.

I did this for 2.4GHz and the 5GHz band and after this change it all seems working as before the Asus update 3.0.0.4.386.41700 Just to confirm, i "toggled” the IGMP setting from enabled to disabled (causes a restart of the WLAN service) and than back from disabled to enabled for both bands.

Thanks all for the help! 

Badge

I have the AX86U, using the beta firmware 9.0.0.4.386.41994. For me to get things to work I have to turn off the guest network and the 802.11ax / Wi-Fi 6 mode for both 2.4 and 5 ghz.  I tried enabling/disabling the  Airtime Fairness feature and disabling/enabling IGMP Snooping as mentioned in previous posts but neither seemed to work for me.  I’ve been working with Asus since the 3.0.0.4.386.41535 version broke Sonos.  I also can’t keep my Google Nest Home/Mini on the network … but I think that’s another issue.

Hello!

Have someone test the new firmware for AX58u?

2021/01/26:   3.0.0.4.386.41700

Upgraded my ax58u to 3.0.0.4.386_41700. After that big problem with my SONOS symfonisk. Tried factory reset of speaker, disable smartdual band on router, reinstalling sonos app on mobile etc. I can get the speaker connected to 2.4 wifi and somtimes start one stream on spotify. But soon after its no longer possible to connect. 

Today i finally took the time to dive into this problem. I had the exact same problems as TS with my Sonos Beam and Asus RT-AX58U. Just as everybody did, i'd reset all stuff without any luck. Thanks to this topic i ended up with a working solution and i am happy to share it with the rest of you. Hopefully it helps!

What i did is manually upload the latest BETA release of the Asus RT-AX58U 9.0.0.4.386_41994 found here: https://www.asus.com/Networking-IoT-Servers/WiFi-6/All-series/RT-AX58U/HelpDesk_BIOS/

After update it wasn't working for 100%. It seemed little buggy, the golden tip here was from user @j_a_kjellberg:

So started fiddling with wifi settings i hadnt touched before. I did a toggle enable(default) ->disable->enable on IGMP Snooping.

I did this for 2.4GHz and the 5GHz band and after this change it all seems working as before the Asus update 3.0.0.4.386.41700 Just to confirm, i "toggled” the IGMP setting from enabled to disabled (causes a restart of the WLAN service) and than back from disabled to enabled for both bands.

Thanks all for the help! 

My conclusion was to soon. It seems that a few hours later Sonos start dropping again. So i now downgraded to version 3.0.0.4.384_10177 which is prior to when the problem started. Hopefully this will keep working (if not i will let you guys know) and with the next Asus or Sonos update the problem will be resolved. It worked flawles almost a year so i know it is possible ;-)

Userlevel 1
Badge

Frankly I think you should return the router while you can. Asus have illustrated an inability to fix their products that does not inspire any confidence.

Thanks for the candid answer. What router or mesh system would you recommend that supports wifi 6 and be fully compatible with Sonos?

I use AmpliFi devices in my homes which run a total of four Sonos households. I believe their latest model supports WiFi 6 but that’s not something I need myself.

Thanks for your answer. On second thought, a mesh wifi would definitely be overkill for our current home. I am giving the Archer AX50 router a try. It is arriving tomorrow. I will report back here for the community. If all good, I will return the Asus router.

As promised, here’s a follow-up to my situation.

I received the TP-Link Archer AX50 today. After initial set up and firmware upgrade to the latest version, all my Sonos speakers are working flawlessly. My Wifi speeds may actually be a bit faster than with the Asus router as well so that’s pretty cool. I am returning Asus to Best Buy tomorrow.

Well, I guess I may have spoken too fast. This router seems to have its set of issues too. Sigh. The wifi speed is extremely inconsistent, dropping as low as 10mbps for seconds at a time. The Asus on the other hand has been rock solid so far. A quick google search indicates this is a common issue with this TP-Link model, along with overheating problems after days/weeks of use.

So for anybody else looking for another option, this may not be it… 

Hi!

Ok, tnx, then I bettet not update firmware now