ASUS Router firmware update 2020/11/26

• 3 December 2020
  • 71 replies

Show first post

71 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @flat3ric.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

We appreciate your time and effort in sharing with us this information.

It can certainly benefit those members that might encounter the same scenario.

I’ll go ahead and pass this along with the team, and it might be best to let the manufacturer know about this as well.

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to reach out.

Badge

I installed 386_43406 today. It seems fine. 

Greetings Xirtam2K

NO, IT DOES NOT!!

What worked for me with the problematic Asus mesh setups as even the latest 386_xxxx firmware for my models did not work.

I have 2 surround sonos setups that I had to bind to my mesh node. They did not like when I had them connecting though the main node. It is also worth mentioning that I have non-matching mesh setup (RT-AX92U for main router and RT-AX11000 for mesh node).
Firmware versions currently being run:
RT-AX92U: 3.0.0.4.386_43084-g728dd24
RT-AX11000: 3.0.0.4.386_43129-g60defb2

I tried everything, resetting to factory settings after a firmware update, removing and re-adding the mesh node, making sure all the recommended settings were disabled (QoS, Airtime Fairness, etc), rejoining the sonos units and nothing worked. There is something amiss with the Asus firmware for sure.
Badge

These steps have disappeared from the internet now.  Can you recall them?

It would be handy to try this for my Asus RT-AX55, which is also having issues when playing from grouped speakers.

I had the exact problem after upgrading my AX88 to latest firmware.

The solution for me was to toggle the Airtime Fairness feature, first set it to enable for both 2,4 and 5 GHz. Apply and let it restart WiFi.

Then disable Airtime Fairness for both 2,4 and 5 GHz again, apply to restart WiFi.

You find this setting in the router web under wireless and then the professional tab.

I assume it is a bug in the update not writing the correct value here after the upgrade, and explicitly toggle through it will store it again properly.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Frankly I think you should return the router while you can. Asus have illustrated an inability to fix their products that does not inspire any confidence.

Thanks for the candid answer. What router or mesh system would you recommend that supports wifi 6 and be fully compatible with Sonos?

I use AmpliFi devices in my homes which run a total of four Sonos households. I believe their latest model supports WiFi 6 but that’s not something I need myself.

Thanks for your answer. On second thought, a mesh wifi would definitely be overkill for our current home. I am giving the Archer AX50 router a try. It is arriving tomorrow. I will report back here for the community. If all good, I will return the Asus router.

I had similar experience and had no luck with the recent Asus Xt8 firmware (ikea symonfisk speakers). Did no want to connect to 2.4ghz wifi. Tried checking for airtime fairness etc.

In the end I had to add one speaker to a satellite xt8 mesh unit via ethernet cable which then made it create a dedicated sonos wifi network which the other speakers could connect to. Luckily for me all the speaker locations I want are nearby.

Userlevel 1
Badge

One more, and hopefully final update to the firmware update issue on the Asus router…

Following the thread here, I was actually able to update to the latest firmware and Sonos has been working since! Another user on that thread confirmed that worked for him/her.

This link by Asus outlines the procedure to upgrade the firmware. A factory reset must be performed after the update.

Hopefully this helps the Sonos community here.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi, I just want to inform others that the latest firmware for ASUS RT-AX58U, released on the 26th of
November, will make the Sonos speakers stop working (Confirmed on Play:1 and Play3).

I have tried to factory reset the speakers and reconfigure them but without success.
I don’t exactly know what is causing this, but a roll back to previous firmware resolved the issue. 

Thanks so much for your post! I just got this exact router at Best Buy last weekend and was starting to lose my mind with the connectivity issues with our Arc and One. Had I not found this, I would have probably ended up returning the router.

Hopefully ASUS addresses this soon with a new firmware. I will drop them a message too through Customer Support.

Thanks!

I tried the factory reset this morning and it worked! I had done everything else including a reboot but it took the factory reset for the setting changes to take effect!

FWIW, having the same problem with the latest firmware ( Version 3.0.0.4.386.42095 2021/03/09) and a Sonos Play:1. Downgrading to 3.0.0.4.384.9918 was the only thing that worked. Obviously super worrisome, since there were a number of CVEs fixed in later firmware versions.

Steps I tried (but didn’t work):

• Toggling IGMP snooping (ending up at disabled)
  • Toggling Airtime fairness for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz (ending up at disabled)

Interestingly, after toggling the airtime fairness setting the Sonos Play:1 worked for 30 seconds before disconnecting again, and remaining disconnected..

ERRATUM : it has been working for a while but not anymore. I spent a lot of time with Sonos support. They made me do a wireless configuration reset for nothing of course.

Hi Everyone

I experienced these same problems with my ASUS RT-AX58U router. It also happened last year, where i ended up fixing it with reuploading a working firmware. I wondered if this would work still, AND IT DID!

I ended up using the firmware-upgrade: 3.0.0.4.384_9918, which solved the problem. I am interested to know whether there are newer versions of firmware which works with Sonos, but for now this is working.

Thank you for the help guys!

New version released for the AX58U (3.0.0.4.386.42095), any brave soul that will give it a try?

I only have 2 Sonos ones, a gen 1 and a gen 2. And it’s the Gen1 that doesn’t work when connected to an RT AX92U, it connects OK but it fails to register to my account. I’m running 3.0.0.4.386_43084-g728dd24 firmware,

My workaround was to use an old Airport Extreme (4th gen) i was just using as a switch, as a second wireless endpoint. Which I can live with.

They both worked fine at one point, but stopped at the time the Sonos update came out that enabled 5Ghz WiFi on the gen 2. So I’m speculating that having a mix of devices that support different WiFi protocols is the issue (clearly that’s a guess on my part).

I tried disabling Smart Connect on my router, it seems to work but I’m not very happy with having many SSIDs.

So at the end I decided to switch to a wired system. No more problem obviously...

Badge

Same issue here with 3.0.0.4.386_41535; in my case my iOS and Mac controller apps can no longer access the system at all after updating the firmware on the RT-AX86U.

I did notice, interestingly and perhaps related, that the Sonos speakers are all now marked as having static IP addresses in the Asus configuration page (Network Map → View Client List); I did not set this up myself and there is no indication in the DHCP settings page that the Sonos speaker MAC addresses have reserved IPs….I only noticed this post-firmware update, so not sure if it was this way all along, but for whatever reason it appears that Asus is recognizing Sonos speaker devices, and Sonos devices only, and singling them out for static IPs. This actually seems kind of nice (since others post that having static IPs helps with Sonos stability), except for the...you know...unable to use the speakers part...

Sadly, I had to downgrade my ASUS router from the latest right now, back to 3.0.0.4.384_9918.

I have an older Sonos One with hardware version 1.21.1.8-2.1 and it could not work. It could connect to the router, but it would not appear within the Sonos System :(

Am frustrated because it looks like a lot of vulnerabilities were fixed in the last few versions.

Thank you @flat3ric for sharing this information!

I’ve had problems over the last 2 weeks since updating my ASUS RT-AX58U to Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.10177. No matter what changes I made to the 2.4ghz or 5ghz setings, it wouldn’t allow my Sonos system to remain connected. Somehow it only affected my Beam+Sub+Surround setup and not my standalone Sonos One.

Once I reverted to the previous firmware 3.0.0.4.384.9918, all the problems went away!

For other ASUS users, you can manually download the firmware versions for RT-AX58U here: https://www.asus.com/Networking-IoT-Servers/Whole-Home-Mesh-WiFi-System/AiMesh-WiFi-Routers-and-Systems/RT-AX58U/HelpDesk_BIOS/

I just wanted to say many thanks for this.  Thought i was going mad this afternoon trying to set up a new ASUS RT-AX58U with my existing Sonos (that had no issues with the RT-AC68U previously.  Downgraded the firmware and everything connected without issue….  Thank you.

Badge

Thank you @flat3ric for sharing this information!

I’ve had problems over the last 2 weeks since updating my ASUS RT-AX58U to Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.10177. No matter what changes I made to the 2.4ghz or 5ghz setings, it wouldn’t allow my Sonos system to remain connected. Somehow it only affected my Beam+Sub+Surround setup and not my standalone Sonos One.

Once I reverted to the previous firmware 3.0.0.4.384.9918, all the problems went away!

For other ASUS users, you can manually download the firmware versions for RT-AX58U here: https://www.asus.com/Networking-IoT-Servers/Whole-Home-Mesh-WiFi-System/AiMesh-WiFi-Routers-and-Systems/RT-AX58U/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Will this work on a macbook?

I’m also having this frustrating issue with the RT-AX86U and 3.0.0.4.386_41535 firmware. While it seems to be an issue with the router firmware, the Sonos app should do a way better job in handling errors when pairing. Right now, I’m stuck in a cycle of the app telling me there are devices, offering to set them up, only to then tell me there are no devices on the network, despite the fact that it shows all my devices right there at the top of that screen. At least surface some kind of error code that can be passed to support, even if it means nothing to consumers.

Fingers crossed there’s a firmware update for the router soon.

Edit: I’ve also sent ASUS support an email and contacted them on Twitter.

Badge +1

For the last week or so, my Sonos Arc has been disconnecting from the Sonos app and Google Assistant on it says it can’t reach the internet. On the router it does show as connected tho.

I turn off the Arc (unplug it), then I turn it back on and it works for half a day or a day, then I get the same issue. 

My Ikea Symfonisk seems to be connected, though I remember one day it disappeared from the app as well.

Never thought it would be from ASUS RT-AX58U, I can see it was actually updated 4 days ago to 3.0.0.4.384_10177-g33723e4

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks so much for your post! I just got this exact router at Best Buy last weekend and was starting to lose my mind with the connectivity issues with our Arc and One. Had I not found this, I would have probably ended up returning the router.

Hopefully ASUS addresses this soon with a new firmware. I will drop them a message too through Customer Support.

Thanks!

Frankly I think you should return the router while you can. Asus have illustrated an inability to fix their products that does not inspire any confidence.

I got my ASUS RT-AX88U running latest firmware working with Sonos. 

1. Make sure "airtime fairness" is turned off.

2. Make sure IGMP snooping is turned on. 

3.Make sure the Roaming assistant is disabled. (this was last bit I changed and seemed to fix!)

the third bit does make sense from what I was seeing. Before disabling it, the Sonos would work for a bit, then the network or Sonos needed to have a kick. I guessed something was turning off the network connection after a time. Roaming assistant seemed like a likely suspect.

Another thing to check is make sure you don’t have QOS enabled. The Sonos doesn’t seem to like it as I made that mistake too.

so far it’s been solid for a while now, so hopefully this helps people

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks!

Thanks for the candid answer. What router or mesh system would you recommend that supports wifi 6 and be fully compatible with Sonos?