Answered

Android S1 app crashing on a variety of search tabs.

• 25 September 2020
  • 54 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

54 replies

Same problem here, just installed android 11, sonos app now crashes when searching for stations

Userlevel 3
Badge

Now I've noticed that when you browse ...

"on this device -> podcasts"

... the app crashes. I'm not sure the "on this device" feature even works anyways.

Is one of the stages of grief "begging", because I have nothing to bargain with. Can you please just fix this crashing problem? I'm not asking for new updates or new features, I just want it working the way it was the last few years. I understand you don't want to support the old speakers. I'm ready to be abandoned and have services slowly stop working, I just don't want it broken at the outset. It's like being put in a life raft without oars. I promise I'll move on to acceptance, I just want this one little thing. 

​​​​​​Why don't you just open source this stuff? Imagine what an engaged community could do with this.

Seems to be fixed in an update I received today. Thanks, I think.

Yes, I downloaded the update and all is well again. Thanks Sonos

Userlevel 1
Badge

Latest : Android updated itself on the tablet, and the search in Sonos controller now works as expected - no crash… It would seem I was too quick to think the fault was with the controller…

//Derek

Userlevel 3
Badge

If there's someone reading this using the latest version of the s1 app that's NOT exhibiting the tab crashing behavior, could you please raise your hand? Given the number of recent negative reviews on the Google store I'm guessing it's a large number of users affected, but it would be nice to know if it works for some people. Maybe there's something with the configuration of the phone that could be changed to make it work.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Seems to be fixed in an update I received today. Thanks, I think.

I'm experiencing the same issue recently on my pixel 3. Changed to a pixel 5, reinstalled the latest app on that and got the exact same problem. The issue is clearly not on my end. I hope this gets fixed soon. I shouldn't have to buy a new Sonos every 2 years. If that's what it takes I'll try my luck elsewhere and downgrade to one star

As explained in the Diagnostics - How do they work? thread, unless you post the number of the diagnostic in the forums, or call in, Sonos is unlikely to know to look at them.

Hi again,

I followed your instructions to report the issue first hand to your engineering team but the Sonos upload URL isn't working.

Your Technical Support link just throws you back to the main support page and general Mon-Fri customer support number.

Is there another way to share the bug report to your engineers?

Cheers,

Ben

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @BenLv.

Thanks for the immediate feedback and response. We apologize for the link not to be working. I would like to suggest calling our technical support team through our toll-free number @+18006802345 or you can use the above indicated by the blue color labeled technical support team, change the country to your present country, and a “talk with us” link lower left would appear. 

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Thanks - probably me but where do I find the 'blue colour labelled technical support team' you mention? Is this a separate helpdesk page to the main Contact Us/Support Page - or is it one and the same thing?

Same issue with me.

As soon as I type one letter when searching in Stations or Genres, the app crashes.

I’m/we’re SOL, correct? (i.e. Sonos doesn’t care about S1 folk)

(If I “browse” either, it works)

App = Android S1 11.2.3, build 57381090

Phone = OnePlus 5T

I’m actually quite shocked and saddened to read this thread.  Like the rest of you, I discovered I was unable to use basic app features like searching within the Genre tab.  What has really shocked me is that Sonos have allowed this bug to remain for over two months.  It’s the way it’s done though, that is really frustrating; silence….. zero communication.  

Will they fix it?  Are they even investigating?  Who knows.  I’m afraid to say this is a totally unacceptable situation.  Support / community / discussion - it’s all about the communication of information  - which is sadly lacking.  Shameful.   

Badge +1

I think they're letting the S1 app degrade. I've got too many older bits in my set up (ranging in age from Zp80 to the Sonos Beam) to want to move to S2 just now. Get this fixed please? 

I just chatted with sonos support - all they had to offer was “re-install the app”. 

same problem here with one+ 7 pro

sonos s1 v11.2.3

clearly not a hw nor an os issue given the numbers of people with different hw and os

the first post in this thread was  20 days ago. at least give us a status update? or statement of intent. regarding whether sonos will be doing something about it or not.  there's a fair amount of commerce depending on it

Same issue with Redmi Note 7 & Galaxy A50 :sob:

Hi,

Several of the search tabs in the S1 android app are causing the app to crash for me. In particular, Podcasts and Shows, Genres, Stations and perhaps a few others. Unaffected are Artists, Songs, and Albums. I can switch to the tab successfully, but when I start typing, the app unceremoniously closes. I’m on a Galaxy S9+. Anyone else experiencing this?

I tried clearing the cash as well as reinstalling the app to no avail.

Thanks,

Stuart

Mine is doing the same on Samsung Galaxy S20 4G

Userlevel 2

Sorry - I missed this thread and had started another one (link: https://en.community.sonos.com/music-services-and-sources-228994/s1-android-app-crashes-everytime-i-search-in-stations-6848745?postid=16476739#post16476739).

The workaround seems to be “use Apple” until it gets sorted...

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @BenLv.

Thanks for the immediate response.

It is the same page. If we can scroll down at the bottom middle portion of the page, we can see there the prompt “Get in touch with Sonos Support” and below that prompt would be “your country” kindle provide the most accurate information so the page can provide you with the right medium to contact our technical support team.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I'm having "Song Not Encoded Correctly" issues now with Mixcloud on S1, all that I have played before without issue.

I thought S1 would be ideal, no more upgrades but they've managed to break what wasn't broken in the first place..

Same issue here using Spotify. Spotify search works and can play with it but that is backwards.

Same issue in 2 separate android phones. 

When will this bug be fixed?

Mixcloud is showing an issue on the real time status webpage. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

HI @all.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. We apologize for the inconvenience of having the Sonos App crash from time to time after the android 11 upgrade.

I would like to share with you some steps on how to report this to our engineering team first hand for them to be made aware of the situation and investigate what is causing these crashes and what needs to be done to fix it.

• Go to your mobile phone’s settings, scroll down, look and tap for the Developer Options.

• If the Developer Options is not available, I would suggest going to About device or info.

• Look for the Build number and tap it multiple times to enable Developer mode (or Developer options)

• Then, return to the main menu of your mobile phone’s settings.

• Tap the Developer Options.

•  Tap to put a check on the box to enable USB debugging.

• Tap Make bug report (Allow up to 60 seconds for the report to complete).

• Once it finishes, tap the popup or notification that asks you how you'd like to send the report.

• Upload the report to https://www.sonos.com/support/upload and ask the customer to submit the link so we can receive it.

• Or you can contact our technical support team to ask for some assistance or for more in-depth troubleshooting steps.

Thanks,