AirPlay cuts out on pause

Show first post

107 replies

I called the support just now. And they said they are not going to fix it because it is caused by Apple. However, HomePod works for me really well for MacBook Pro. So HomePod might be a better choice here.

By this, Sonos completely lost me. I’m all in Apple world and if something doesn’t work, I don’t care whose fault it is, I just want it to work. Was considering buying full Sonos setup in addition to my One pair, but not anymore. unfortunately, that means I have to move on to something else. Sorry Sonos 

Why are you assuming that I’m “just venting here”?

I called the support just now. And they said they are not going to fix it because it is caused by Apple. However, HomePod works for me really well for MacBook Pro. So HomePod might be a better choice here.

• macOS Applications (like Safari, Apple Music and Spotify) do support AirPlay2, but you must initiate the connection from that application, not the Mac’s settings. The media stream can then be buffered to the speaker and synced for playback.

In our own testing, we were unable to produce this issue when using AirPlay 2. If you experience these issues while using AirPlay 2 (initiated at the application level rather than at the system level), we would very much like to hear about it. Please get in touch with our technical support team if this is the case, as this is something that we would want to resolve (be it a networking or software issue).

Hello Corry,

in the documentation article about Airplay https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1230?language=de it is clearly being stated by Sonos to use systemwide sound output on a Mac.

In fact, I am wondering how you propose to use AirPlay2 in Safari video playback for sound transmission - using the Airplay icon in a video player to switch to Sonos would either stop the video from playing or to continue playing audio internally on my Mac (Big Sur).

Apple Music is working fine, but I am looking to use Sonos and Airplay in Safari for video streaming without the very annoying audio timeout happening in system-wide audio output.

Also when switching to my grouped speakers, the mute on my One SL is being lifted. This speaker is muted to activate an Airplay group with two Play:3s but not to play itself.

Do you have a solution to this issue? 

+1 - I’m also experiencing this. Finally registered just to post about this topic:

I use my i5 Mac Mini at my Desk and for its speakers I thought I’d utilize a stereo pair of Sonos One devices. I’m able to recreate this issue 100% each time:

• Start playing music on the device (select “This computer” on spotify).
  • Plays successfully and will play without interruptions from song to song.
  • Pause song.
  • Play song and it won’t proceed although it’s listed as still connected successfully via Airplay.
  • Switch back to normal speaker output and swap back to stereo pair sonos.
  • Playback resumes.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@AudioLondon 

I appreciate your concern. As mentioned, we are now investigating this issue a bit further due to the instructions we have been providing on our own website. I cannot give any indication as to how long this will take, however.

I have the samt problem with my IKEA symfonisk products.

I have the bookshelf, lamp and frame that I use as background music in my home.

When i play from my macbook pro 2017 (OS: Monterey 12.0.1) and paus the music I can't start playing to the devices without switching the output speaker back to the computer and then reconnect to the speakers again. (spotify, youtube, netflix)

Symfonisk lamp, bookshelf and frame: 

Version: 13.4.1 build: 66423300

When I play from my Iphone I dont have this problem. (Iphone 12 pro 15.1.1)

But it takes about 5-10 seconds until the music starts from the phone after I press play again after pausing.