Answered

Sonos Port: Wired connection but still music is interrupted

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

104 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I have everything reconfigured and the SONOS network is once again stable. I have some questions related to the Network Matrix:

1. Colors of first column White, Green , Yellow, Orange and Red. I am unable to determine what the white color represents. I have been able to identify Green = Best, Yellow = Fine, Orange = Mediocre and RED = Worst.

2. Signal Strength - What is the range.

3. NOISE FLOOR - Some of the items in the Network Matrix have four numbers and others have three or one. It my understanding that a lower number is better. What is  the range?

4. OFDM-ANI - Interference Rejection ?? Range: 0 -- 9 with 0 being the best and 9 being the worst.

5. OFDM- Weak Signal Level - Is this the same as OFDM-ANI?

6. NODE Reference - I see references to both Secondary and Tertiary in my Network Matrix. What does this represent?

7. Inbound - I see blocks with both a single number and two numbers. What does this represent and what is the range?

8. Outbound -  I see blocks with both a single number and two numbers. What does this represent and what is the range?

9. STP State: I see mostly blocking and forwarding in my network matrix.

I hope you have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year !!!!

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Damn….Unfortunately the issue remains :-(

Vinyl is playing but the music drops….quickly opening the SONOS app shows this:

So all connections seem lost…..except the one from the PORT (which is wired via UTP)

Can this (interference) be caused by 

as it shows RED in the matrix? 

(This my playbar which has no other electronic devices in its proximity...the Sub gen3 is roughly 1,5 meters away from it….can the sub be causing this?)

In other words: What tooling can I use to find out what is causing the interference?

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi @ratty 

The Sonos app is now stating that "Kitchen (keuken)” is not configured. When looking at the "status” it shows that the Sonos kitchen Left is on 5ghz while the Sonos kitchen Right is on 2.4ghz

Can this be causing the anomaly?

Thanks upfront for your help!

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

..and might it help if I would relocate the PORT. Place it closer to my record player….and further away from other electrical devices? 
If this would be the case, then I need to unplug the UTP from the PORT (as I don't have UTP present nearby my record player) and plug one of my ONE speakers to at least have one SONOS device have a wired connection.

Will this make a difference...as the PORT is then no longer wired...but wireless

Does the app still complain if you force-stop it and restart? 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Yup. It does. Also after a reboot/restart of my Iphone it keeps complaining.

But when I put on a vinyl record, autoplay is triggering “kitchen” to start playing and both sonos one's in the kitchen will play….but I cant control them as "kitchen”doesnt show up in the app.

So I have audio...but no control :-)

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

You mention wireless sources other than WiFi. I suggest you turn them off in an attempt to determine which could be responsible. 

Sorry for all the questions….

If I would turn off a (wireless) device which I believe might cause the interference and then check the network matrix, will it immediately show a difference (eg colour no longer red) if the device I turned off was causing the interference?

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Understood. I literally have no idea what is causing the interference.

I have deactivated my Canary camera's, deactivated my HUE lights….but the interference remains

The only 'thing’ left broadcasting is my router (in bridge mode)

Any way I can get more detailed info from the playbar device which is reporting the interference? 

(As turning off every device in its proximity is not resolving anything)

That can’t be intended behaviour at all. Time to submit a diagnostic, post the number and get someone from Support to study the full system entrails. There’s nothing in the user-accessible info at /support/review which could help.

Any way I can get more detailed info from the playbar device which is reporting the interference? 

They’d probably all be reporting interference, if the matrix was able to display it. There could be more detail in the full diagnostic. You’d have to submit one and then contact Sonos Support quoting the confirmation number.

Did running the system in WiFi mode not help?

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

update: Opening the sonos app on my iPad is displaying "kitchen". Iphone doesnt seem to detect Sonos One (L) which is, together with Sonos One (R) forming the group "kitchen

The app on the iPad does see both Kitchen One's….as well as the "kitchen” group

Wait a couple of minutes. The interference stats integrate over the previous minute or two. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Ok. Too bad.  (Even turning them off/on didn't change the chosen signal. Both remain on 2.4ghz)
But, again...Thanks for explaining. Really helpful and appreciated!

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Ratty, thank you for the support that you have provided through the years. I recently added a SONOS Port and a Audio-Technica AT-LP120XUSB Turntable. I have been having issues with dropout when playing albums and am try all of the solutions that you have provided.

My SONOS system is a combination of wired and wireless through out the house. I have a total of three TP-LINK managed switches and I have STP configured on all SONOS and switch link ports per our previous discussions through the years.

The SONOS system has been stable until I added the PORT and Turntable.

The iPad is okay? Is it on a different WiFi band to the iPhone? 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hmmm… not the result I'd expected. I see a small change on notice floor. Going from -111 to -110

Would you also be so kind to elaborate on

might it help if I would relocate the PORT. Place it closer to my record player….and further away from other electrical devices? 
If this would be the case, then I need to unplug the UTP from the PORT (as I don't have UTP present nearby my record player) and plug one of my ONE speakers to at least have one SONOS device have a wired connection.

Will this make a difference...as the PORT is then no longer wired...but wireless

Thanks a ton….again!

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Rebooted all 7 SONOS devices all seems to be working again. (Hopefully for a very long uninterrupted time :-) )

Eventhough I haven't changed anything with regards to interference, the OFDM ANI level dropped from 9 (dark red) to 6 (orange). Any idea what would have caused this drop?

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Nope. That's the strange thing
Both are of the same wifi (ssid) and both are in the 5ghz band
When i open the app on the iPhone today, all seems to be fine again. So also the iPhone shows the kitchen....

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi Mark

Thanks for your quick reply. Would you be so kind to elaborate on why I should connect my Port wireless instead of wired? What will be the impact/added value of this? A wired connection, to me, seems more stable…

Could you also state what came out of the diagnostics?

BR

Sven

Your Port may be wired, but it appears that @Mark P is suggesting its radio (“WiFi”) has been disabled. Is that the case? If so its ability to talk to the Ones would be compromised.

I recently added a SONOS Port and a Audio-Technica AT-LP120XUSB Turntable. I have been having issues with dropout when playing albums and am try all of the solutions that you have provided.

You can either submit a diagnostic and post the number here or on your other recent thread, or post a screenshot of your network matrix from http://IP_address_of_a_player:1400/support/review and we’ll take a look. Get an IP from About My System.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi Ratty

Thanks for explaining. 

Looking at my port settings, the wifi is disabled. But I believe this is the setting to use to use a wired connection. Currently therefore this wifi setting is disabled, BUT the port is able to connect to my 3 sonos one players….as currently I'm listening to vinyl on my recordplayer :-)

BR

Sven

Go to Settings/System/(roomname)/Products/Port

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi Ratty

Checked it and WIFI is disabled….I believe the setting needs to be disabled in order to enable a wired connection. Currently listening to port sound, via my recordplayer, on my 3 sonos one products.

BR
Sven

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi Ratty,

Thanks for explaining! I truly believed this was the way to connect via a LAN cable. Thanks for educating me. (Ps. I do agree with the awful misnaming)

Anyway: I've re-enabled Wifi and can confirm that all my Sonos items now show “WM:0”

I've also removed the wireless network settings. Currently, it shows that NO networks are in use.

I'll continue spinning records now for a while via the port and report out later

Thanks again for your help

Sven