Answered

Sonos Port: Wired connection but still music is interrupted

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

104 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Good evening all,

Unfortunately, my initial issue is back. After having read the entire thread, I believe I'm also facing the “STP” issue. When playing Spotify or watching movies, no glitches whatsoever occur. 

(the playbar, sub and ones work flawless)

When playing vinyl via the Port, the glitching starts...playback is interrupted and also the Sonos app (on my iPhone) sometimes states that it can't connect anymore.

After it reconnects, I see (sorry for the Dutch screen) that the connected system (gekoppeld product) has changed. Previously it connected to IP 192.168.1.150 (which is my UTP connected PORT); Now it seems to be connected to 192.168.1.114 which is my 'wireless’ connected playbar.

I've already switched to sonosnet channel 6, have added a delay of 2000ms but all is in vain. 

My current setup (playbar, sub, 3 one's and 1 one SL are not connected via UTP. Only the port is UTP connected)

Any idea what might be causing this glitch?

Thanks a ton upfront and best wishes for 2021!

Sven

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hopefully my "matrix” sheds some light to the matter :-)

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Thanks guys. Until now no hiccups occurred anymore. Will spin some more records,but this outlook is very very promising!

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi Ratty

Thank you for your quick response. Regarding:

. Often the culprit is intermittent wireless inteference. Indeed your matrix shows evidence of heavy ambient noise (the red cell) on the one node capable of displaying this info. 

Any idea what I can do to resolve?

The red cell is linked to the Playbar...as I don't own a separate LF and RF...only 2 One's who act as LR and RR.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Just did a quick check. I've opened my Ipad and switched it from guest network to my regular wifi network. As soon as I did this, the SONOS glitch appeared and the sound dropped for 5 seconds

After 5 seconds everything started working as usual/expected.

Currently I have many devices using my home network. Would it therefore be wise to switch the SONOS from the home network to the guest network?

And if so: How to do so?

And will this work if all non wired Sonos items (playbar, sub, one's) are on the guest network, while the port is wired...and thus on the regular network?

Thanks again for your support! Highly appreciated!

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

It's roughly been two months and I've tried a lot in the meanwhile. Relocated the port, removed other wireless devices (google nest) and connected a One SL via a LAN cable
Unfortunately, I still encounter music drop outs. (Only when playing vinyl via the port. All else is working flawless)

Would adding a sonos boost do the trick?

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi Ratty,

On my TPLINK router (configured as access point), I've disabled guest network isolation.

But if SONOS on a guest network is not the way forward, do you perhaps an alternative?

What can I do to prevent the glitching?

Unfortunately, I still encounter music drop outs. (Only when playing vinyl via the port. All else is working flawless)

Is this even with the Line-In delay at maximum, and/or using compression?  

If changing the SonosNet channel, ensuring that SonosNet and WiFi are at least 5 channels apart, and that WiFi has 20MHz width don’t improve things you’ll need to try and locate the source of what appears to be quite severe interference. Look for non-WiFi wireless, such as wireless security cameras, baby monitors, Philips Hue (Zigbee) or even strong Bluetooth. Also space the wired Port at least 50cm from other electronics.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi Ratty

Unfortunately, it is….

But only when PORT is used. When watching television, no fall out. Only the port is causing this issue, even with a max delay of 2 seconds active.

So I'm quite lost and out of options….listening to vinyl is not doable like this….
So really wondering if a boost would do the trick?

(Eventhough I have a wireless hotspot already active in the room. (The router in bridge mode which had been set to channel 1...see some posts above)

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @svleuken.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community. I totally understand where you're coming from and I’m here to help.

Let me investigate this much further.

Can you submit a diagnostic report from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number?

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Will do. And thanks again for your tremendous support

I’ve had a read back through the thread, to try and refresh my memory. Can you perhaps summarise where things now stand:

• which Sonos components are now wired?
  • which speakers drop out when playing the turntable’s Line-In? 
  • which 2.4GHz channels (and widths) are in use and where? 
  • what became of the attempts to investigate what appeared to be substantial interference?

If you felt like posting another screenshot of the network matrix it could be useful.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Done. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Thanks for reaching out. Highly appreciated.

Btw: Have installed another (additional) access point in my living room (called woonkamer) in the meanwhile….as I was hoping that this would resolve the issues I'm experiencing

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I believe it does as the dropouts are significantly less (read: not occurred so far) since I've switched from sonosnet to wifi

The port on 5ghz might be doing the trick

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi Ratty

No prob. Thanks upfront for assisting.

• Only 1 ONE is wired. All others wireless. Sonos WM:0
  • All speakers (Sometimes group living room, sometimes group kitchen….but mostly all of them)
  • Router (in bridge mode) only broadcasts channel 1. (This is used by Sonos and Canary devices. Canary doesn't work on 5 GHZ). All other devices (laptop, iPhone use the 5 Ghz band)
  • All attempts made (as described in above thread) didn't result in a steady solution. (Powered down the canary's, powered down my Goodle hub..so only Sonos remained….no luck unfortunately)
  • Do you believe a SONOS BOOST will help? (Not sure what its added value would be as I already have a router (birdgme mode) present in the living room
Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Have tested the wired setup the last couple of days. Even though the drops were significantly less, it didn't quite work out as hoped. (The drops occurred less and also the outage was less long, but still dropouts)

Just switched my entire network to wireless and removed the UTP cable from the playbar.

All devices now show WM:1, except the 2 surround speakers and the SUB, they show WM:2

I Will test this setup for some time and keep you all posted…

ps. Do I need to recalibrate now (eg trueplay tuning)?

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Current set up:

What is the SonosNet channel? It’s not the same as the router’s is it? 

And what is the router’s 2.4GHz channel width? 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi Ratty

Thanks for above suggestions. I will implement them and get back with the results.

By the way: I do have 4 wireless security camera's and roughly 40 HUE devices active...(and tablets, laptops and phones)….and my router has channel:auto and channel width:auto.

Does sonos connect to the 2.4 Ghz or the 5 Ghz network? (Do I have to change both, or only the 2.4 Ghz)

Thanks again for sharing all your wisdom

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Disconnected the kitchen one (L) from power for 30 sec and then plugged it back in. Both kitchen ones are now back on 2.4ghz and the problem seems resolved.

Could this have been the RCA? If both Ones are not on the same band (even though they're on the same SSID) that the app states that 'keuken'/kitchen was no longer properly configured?

Disconnected the kitchen one (L) from power for 30 sec and then plugged it back in. Both kitchen ones are now back on 2.4ghz and the problem seems resolved.

Could this have been the RCA? If both Ones are not on the same band (even though they're on the same SSID) that the app states that 'keuken'/kitchen was no longer properly configured?

It sounds like it. The system would much prefer the stereo pair to be on the same channel, as one can then communicate directly with the other rather than having to go via the router.

Maybe Sonos needs to do some additional work to address all this. Connection to 5GHz WiFi is a relatively new option, so perhaps this is a teething issue.

One option you could consider is to split your router bands, naming the 2.4GHz and 5GHz differently. Add both to your Sonos system and see if that makes any difference. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Diagnostic Confirmation Number: 1889904531. Most of my SONOS system is wired with a few components connected via SONOS Net.

The Port is wired. Which room or rooms suffer dropouts when playing its Line-In? If dropouts occur in a wired player, which isn't grouped with anything else, then the wired network is the obvious place to look for issues.

Guest Playbase may be wired, but it’s in a pretty noisy location.

The Boost is doing nothing useful.