Port review at WhatHiFi

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

49 replies

But they had a very good review of the Arc and that wasnt questioned at all. :-)

It's usually bad ones when they don't have a clue.

The Arc unit cannot be objectively tested as being no different than the other model found to be "better".  I don't care one whit about subjective opinions, except when they fly in the face of objective facts.  

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Agreed. It is a subjective personal experience. I have a connect to existing Aufiolab DAC and thought I would upgrade to port for S2 and because I want best experience when I upgrade to Sennheiser HD800S offer as not convinced by Momentums for focused listening. 

However realised Connect is Gen 2 and there does not appear to be any objective or subjective review that supports switching to Port through an external DAC.  I have found both the objective and subjective camps on here helpful in reaching that view which I appreciate. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

So I listened to the Port for the first time since upgrading to S2 last night, and dare I say, it sounded better with increased clarity.

I wasn't able to pay a lot of attention, but it certainly came as a surprise to me. 

Maybe S2 has indeed brought improvements with it.

I'll have proper sit down and listen and report back in a few days. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi

First post here, so go easy etc.

Anyway, I bought a Port to replace my increasingly unsupported (and fast approaching obsolescent) Squeezebox Touch.

I have it plugged into my Cambridge Audio Amp / Mordaunt Short speakers, I stream files (FLAC, ACC, MP3) from a home server, plus Deezer (standard, not premium), and I have to say that the Port sounds disappointing by comparison to the Squeezebox. 

The sound is indeed flat and lacking detail, and I find myself turning up the volume in a vain attempt to gain more detail - but really, I’m just upsetting my neighbours.

The Port was my first Sonos product so I can’t comment on the Connect. But compared to the Squeezebox, I would say that the review is something I can identify my own experience to.

I hope that S2 brings some improvements, but I don’t hold my breath.

Anyhoo - thought I’d share my thoughts.

I also replaced a Logitech Squeezebox product (the Squeezebox Duet), with the Port.  This was the old Duet - the box on the right side of the image is similar to the Port and is what connected to my system:

With the Port, there is absolutely zero difference in sound from my perspective.  Note that I am using the digital coax out from the Port to my a/v receiver, and in “fixed” volume mode (which I understand is bit perfect and doesn’t have the limiter that can kick in when using “variable” volume mode).  So maybe that’s the difference -- are you using the digital out with “fixed” volume control? 

Even if the sound quality had not been exactly the same (but it is to my ears), I would be super happy just because I now have integration with my entire Sonos eco-system.  Grouping with my Sonos Ones (I have Sonos Ones in 3 rooms) works perfectly with the Port powering my 5.1 family room system (no delay); and the Sonos app is light years less clunky than the 10 year old Squeezebox interface, and allows much easier access to music from various sources.    So I’m happy to say goodbye to the old school Squeezebox Duet and and welcome the Port as its more capable replacement and easier to use replacement.

I'm using the audio leads which came with the port. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi

First post here, so go easy etc.

Anyway, I bought a Port to replace my increasingly unsupported (and fast approaching obsolescent) Squeezebox Touch.

I have it plugged into my Cambridge Audio Amp / Mordaunt Short speakers, I stream files (FLAC, ACC, MP3) from a home server, plus Deezer (standard, not premium), and I have to say that the Port sounds disappointing by comparison to the Squeezebox. 

The sound is indeed flat and lacking detail, and I find myself turning up the volume in a vain attempt to gain more detail - but really, I’m just upsetting my neighbours.

The Port was my first Sonos product so I can’t comment on the Connect. But compared to the Squeezebox, I would say that the review is something I can identify my own experience to.

Anyhoo - thought I’d share my thoughts.

I also replaced a Logitech Squeezebox product (the Squeezebox Duet), with the Port.  This was the old Duet - the box on the right side of the image is similar to the Port and is what connected to my system:

With the Port, there is absolutely zero difference in sound from my perspective.  Note that I am using the digital coax out from the Port to my a/v receiver, and in “fixed” volume mode (which I understand is bit perfect and doesn’t have the limiter that can kick in when using “variable” volume mode).  So maybe that’s the difference -- are you using the digital out with “fixed” volume control? 

Even if the sound quality had not been exactly the same (but it is to my ears), I would be super happy just because I now have integration with my entire Sonos eco-system.  Grouping with my Sonos Ones (I have Sonos Ones in 3 rooms) works perfectly with the Port powering my 5.1 family room system (no delay); and the Sonos app is light years less clunky than the 10 year old Squeezebox interface, and allows much easier access to music from various sources.    So I’m happy to say goodbye to the old school Squeezebox Duet and and welcome the Port as its more capable replacement and easier to use replacement.

I'm using the audio leads which came with the port. 

I believe the limiter is not known to apply to the analog outs.  So you should be fine there. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Subjective audiophile reviews are notoriously unreliable and are filled with utter nonsense?

Meanwhile in the real world What HiFi has given many Sonos items top reviews but not the Port.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I

The connect and port make sense if you have a Sonos system but as a stand-alone piece of equipment that is meant to be for Hi-Fi it isn’t competitive. It gets poor reviews for a reason.  I’m sure Sonos are very  capable of fixing this because currently it is the weak link in their product range 

I replaced a Chromecast audio with a port a few weeks ago and to my ears the port does

not sound as good. Both using variable outputs, nice sounding PSB speakers in my kitchen (more midfi

thanHiFi though I suppose)

ButI didn't DBT or anything so won't make any other comments about the sound in case some fans get upset 😜

Sonos asked me to do a review for their site and wouldn't publish it maybe cause i gave

only3 stars lol.

Meanwhile in the real world What HiFi has given many Sonos items top reviews but not the Port.  

So what?  I wouldn’t trust What HiFi to give an accurate, objective review of a light switch.  Also, what does What HiFi have to do with a scientifically valid analysis?  They are a subjective review publication, and an audiophile one at that.  By their very nature, they eschew objective, scientifically valid testing in favor of flowery prose and unestablished claims. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I am wary of criticising Sonos product on a Sonos especially as there are some who are evangelical in their beliefs but clearlythere is a problem with the product.

It is in their own interest to fix the product rather than fix the reviews.

I will happily add to my Sonos collection when they fix the product as generally I like Sonos and would rather stay than move away. I have absolutely no doubt they are capable of producing a competitive product if they are willing to accept the criticism. 

I have no idea what planet you are on or why you think I would read your Playbar review...consider decaf.  Such a sensitive little thing.

You get your knickers in a bunch about a two month old post, and I’m the sensitive one?  :laughing:

ButI didn't DBT or anything

Why?

Like it or not the  Port just isn’t Sonos most compelling product if you are only looking to add a streamer to a Hi-Fi. 

I agree; it is wildly overpriced if that is all one is looking for. By the way, for the use case quoted, it is the only Sonos product, there isn't any other that is more compelling.

I also agree that listening to music is a subjective experience because it is part of reality, which itself is a subjective experience.

But the problem is that the word HiFi itself is subjective and there is no objective definition of that word - and therefore, anything goes and HiFi usually = High end = expensive.

Which is why everyone that has invested - and in many cases been conned to invest - in a five digit plus HiFi system finds it very difficult to accept something like a Chromecast Audio or an Echo Dot as a credible part of their system as source for music via their Hi End system - back in my now outgrown audiophile days before Sonos, I had similar problems accepting iPods as source to my expensive HiFi set ups.  It just does not compute in the HiFi worldview and adherents will not risk a DBT even if they knew how to set up a scientific one, for fear of being proved wrong. Because that may mean that the investment in the main system will start looking like a bad financial decision.

The Connect which made sense back in 2005, has for some time now been a challenge for Sonos - from a pricing point of view. It is wildly overpriced for what it does, but it needs to priced at at least twice of what it is to be taken seriously by “HiFi” subscribers, who need Hi End to be Hi Priced for admission to the club.

Classic marketing MBA material, this.

There is also a problem that regardless of price, Port will not be taken seriously, because Sonos as a brand isn't, by the HiFi crowd. For purely psychological reasons.

So perhaps Sonos has struck the right balance for the Port pricing which for psychological reasons will never sell in large numbers.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I actually just want a Sonos Steamer without DAC that doesn’t distort the sound, plays all main formats and has input and output options I don’t see how a digital source with the same data can make a difference and I don’t see why this should or needs to be expensive Unfortunately the Port isn’t it and there are plenty of other products which offer uncoloured sound and more functionality  if you are just looking for a Hi-Fi streamer the Port just doesn’t make sense at any price point  

The problem with technology companies is that technology changes  So what was an opportunity for Sonos is now a problem  How do they keep existing and new customers happy in times of increasing bandwidths and different formats some of which will disappear and some of which will take hold  ive no doubt starting now Sonos would offer hi res if only from a marketing viewpoint  There is no way I’m getting into the well worn hi res argument because I don’t believe I could hear the difference  I suspect some musicians and engineers can but not me but I can hear master differences if Sonos allows me to play the format which it doesn’t  

There are plenty of people into HI-FI who disappear down the rabbit hole but there is also those looking for value and real differences. I just asked my dealer if it was worth changing my DAC and the answer was no. The headphones and amp are on a different level though so you just have to be careful where you spend your money. 

There was another thread about this article in which a poster said that the source organization was suspect anyway, based on previous reviews and comments. 

Plus people spend alot of $$$ on their technology and especially Sonos and can’t admit there is anything wrong.

You obviously haven’t read my original review of the Playbar,and my every mention of the Playbar after that.  But hey, don’t let that stop you from making this forum about attacking posters rather than opinions.

I have no idea what planet you are on or why you think I would read your Playbar review...consider decaf.  Such a sensitive little thing.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I am a long time Connect and other Sonos products user and upgraded to the Port and don’t hear any improvement in sound.  I also have low sound output in the variable  setting which I never had with the Connect.  I also use a Bluesound Node 2i which has noticeably better sound quality with better recordings but not the stability of the Sonos mesh WiFi network, at least not for me.  I will speak with Sonos about my issues with the Port but so far I am pretty disappointed.  The Connect was a great product.  With the exception of Airplay 2 which is important to some and perhaps many users, I don’t see the advantages of The Port, at least not yet, especially not in sound quality.

Owning a Connect that will not be S2 compatible I am debating with myself whether to upgrade to the Port or not. I am not needing or expecting a better sound quality from the Port over the Connect. Personally I don’t think that is possible without also upgrading the speakers (meaning the connect does not have any flaws in transporting the sound signal as it was recorded). But of course, I don’t want worse sound than with my Connect, if for some strange reason the Port does something weird like processing the signal in an unexpected way. I am all for blind tests but haven’t found any such test comparing Port and Connect so I guess I have to rely on other user’s experience (until I can listen at home if I buy a Port). Neecke, you write that you haven’t noticed any improvement in sound quality. Have you noticed any dismprovement? I am happy with no disimprovement. Thanks!

I can’t say that the sound quality of the Port is worse than the Connect.  However, it is not a better product for me.  The issues I have  with variable out are also a problem for me,  if you are concerned about Sonos support going forward go with the Port.  Keep in mind for digital out it only has a coax out and does not also have an optical out like the Connect if that is important for you.  Separately, I wrote to the Sonos CEO regarding my thoughts on the Port.  No response.  I wish they would listen more.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I can’t say that the sound quality of the Port is worse than the Connect.  However, it is not a better product for me.  The issues I have  with variable out are also a problem for me,  if you are concerned about Sonos support going forward go with the Port.  Keep in mind for digital out it only has a coax out and does not also have an optical out like the Connect if that is important for you.  Separately, I wrote to the Sonos CEO regarding my thoughts on the Port.  No response.  I wish they would listen more.  

Thank you Neecke. I am well aware of the physical differences of the Port and Connect. In my opinion the Connect is better in terms of connectivity but fortunately for me I am not in need of the Connect’s additional features. I would buy the Port solely to keep up with the S2 requirements. Of course this is not ideal but a reality.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Another poor review of the Port here.  

https://www.techhive.com/article/3546333/sonos-port-review.html

Certainly, you’re entitled to your opinion, although obviously many other users seem to disagree. The question is, what purpose do you have to your posts here? This is a support community, not a community that deals with design issues/changes. Posting links to people who share your opinion is great, but isn’t serving much of a purpose. 

I see no reason for S2 to have any impact on your finding. And I haven't heard the Port, just my two Connects bought at different times, both of which are audibly transparent in passing on the signals for amplification. But Sonos would not have played around with this transparency while building the Port, there is no reason for them to do that. And getting this transparency isn't rocket science now.

A question: in comparing with SB, did you do just that one change of replacing one unit by another, with no other hardware or source signal change? And although it appears you have addressed this aspect, sound levels being heard through the speakers also have to be identical.

Finally, an admittedly unlikely possibility: a defective Port unit.

Is there some tone adjustment/filter in use in the SB? Both units need to have EQ set to flat for the comparison to be apples to apples.

And if possible, get a new Port on a returnable basis and see what happens, to rule out defect as reason.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

But they had a very good review of the Arc and that wasnt questioned at all. :-)

It's usually bad ones when they don't have a clue.