Answered

Updates removed my local music library and now I get Error code 913

Show first post

213 replies

All I have to say is be careful what*** and where*** you allow shares and you ABSOLUTELY DO NOT want to allow WRITE PERMISSIONS. Also, you really don’t want to be visible on any public networks and I would recommend being hidden on private networks.

The next time you access wifi somewhere you are going to be vulnerable and for the sophisticated you will be tapped in mere seconds.

On that note I have a mint condition Sonos 1 for sale.
Hardware Version: 1.21.1.8-1.1
Series ID: A100

Thanks, Droidly

Userlevel 2

It is an absolute SHAME !

I upgraded my NAS/router to a more current model which supports SMBv2 (maybe 3). 
My music library is back!  Acting strange, but there is now hope. 

would have been nice to have some warning of SMBv1 support going away…

If anyone tries this and does all the sharing wasted above, make sure you open Sonos AS AN ADMINSTRATOR.

I spent two horrible, sleepless nights trying to get my kids’ bedtime lullabies on.  I had done all the correct sharing settings that people in earlier comments amazingly walked through.

And I finally got the music library added, but then when I tried to play it, I got an error message that Sonos couldn’t access the songs themselves.

Then tonight I discovered that I needed to look at Sonos in my Windows menu, right-click, and “Run as Adminstrator.”  Only THEN could I play the songs.

So just in case anyone else runs into the same stupid issue I had.  UGH.

Oh, and I had stored all of my music on OneDrive and was using a desktop computer for the filepath.  I had to

• download the music from OneDrive to the computer
  • Upload the music onto Google Drive
  • Re-download the music and unzip it
  • THEN add it to the library.

Any music I tried to store anywhere else (like on my external hardrives) kept giving errors.

I have a NAS Buffalo networked drive. Was working perfectly until I tried it today.

I’ve set it to SMB2 protocol and it looks like it was working but after a few seconds of updating music library once I’d tried to connect my NAS via the music library setting on the SONOS app, I received the following message:

Any ideas at all?

(Windows 11 PC, by the way).

…  and that alongside the other advice given here worked.

What ‘other advice’ was that, specifically. I’ve updated to SMB2 but still no joy.

I was also angry, but thanks for PaulRB371, I tried the method to allow Music Folder permission and it worked!

Please right-click on the Music Folder > Properties > Advanced Sharing > Add Sonos Wireless HiFi System to Read/Write:

This worked for me too! :) Before I found this solution, I also added the IRPStackSize parameter to the registry, as per instructions on Error 900 when adding a music library | Sonos (not sure I had to do that, but hopefully it didn’t make any harm).

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I have a NAS Buffalo networked drive. Was working perfectly until I tried it today.

I’ve set it to SMB2 protocol and it looks like it was working but after a few seconds of updating music library once I’d tried to connect my NAS via the music library setting on the SONOS app, I received the following message:

Any ideas at all?

Not being a windows user, first I would try to follow what it says. Then check the smbv settings to v2 and v3 if applicable. My Synology uses both, path remained the same. After that the usual, restart the app, computer etc.

Any ideas at all?

Not being a windows user, first I would try to follow what it says. Then check the smbv settings to v2 and v3 if applicable. My Synology uses both, path remained the same. After that the usual, restart the app, computer etc.

Hi. Yeah, can’t get it working. The drive and folders are all there. Not on Sonos though.

Badge

It is a relief that I am not the only SONOS user affected by this utterly useless app upgrade.

I have also lost the ALARM and SLEEP TIMER functions, both of which I used everyday.

And I cannot get any response from SONOS support.   

Any ideas for an alternative to SONOS?

Hello everyone,

I managed to temporarily fix the desktop app issue by using my IP address:

//ip address/Users/username/music folder

It takes a time to load all your library, depending on how many music files you have.

Hope it helps.

Userlevel 1

I was also angry, but thanks for PaulRB371, I tried the method to allow Music Folder permission and it worked!

Please right-click on the Music Folder > Properties > Advanced Sharing > Add Sonos Wireless HiFi System to Read/Write:

It did work to a point but had to add sharing using give access to, (1. music file \ 2. right click Properties \ 3. select Give access to \ 4. Specific people.

However the control of music files on the computer via using your phone is limited to what ever is currently in the soNOs desktop music cue. You cannot browse all music using the phone, (my case Android). So it is still a crAPPy app that needs a lot of work but obviously backwards compatibility is not the problem as one lister suggested, it is soNOs quality control or lack thereof.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Any ideas at all?

Hi. Yeah, can’t get it working. The drive and folders are all there. Not on Sonos though.

I wish I had an answer 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Seriously - Does anyone know the process for launching a class-action lawsuit?

I have a couple of thousand $$$ invested in a music system that might as well be a toaster for all I can get out of it (except the toast part).

If someone has a way to file an action, count me in!

So it gets even better, when I call for phone support, it just says the technical support team is offline, been like that all day, this whole improvement work is a joke, they used to be a brand to trust to be rock solid and reliable, I regret everyday I switch from S1 to S2. My worst decision ever, didn’t ever imagine until now it could get any worse. Congrats Sonos, the only thing I can assume is that you are deliberately torpedoing your loyal customer base.

I have a MAC.  My SONOS stopped reading my music library after the update.  Very frustrating...

On Mac:

1. Go to System Setting > General > Sharing
  2. Turn on File Sharing and click info icon next to it
  3. Add your library folder to the Shared Folders section
  4. Click Options down the bottom of the dialog and turn on Windows File Sharing for your user

In Sonos app:

1. Add library folder using Networked Device option
  2. Path is the below, formatted as per examples
    • your computer hostname (you can find this at the bottom of System Setting > General) plus
    • name of library folder you added above
  3. Enter computer username and password and you should be good to go

Thanks for that, simply explained and it worked for me on my Mac after several very frustrating days! 

Same issue here.

Mid June?

Why not just go back to the prior version and have your customers re-install that?

I agree with others shopping for other options now.

Works in part for me. After Adding Sonos User Acc with R/W permissions and adding the Share to the folder where my iTunes .itl file is held (stored locally in default ‘Music’ folder on W10H PC) I was able to add this to Sonos but... When trying to play an (imported) playlist I received an access denied error (All Music files are held on a Buffalo NAS without any User Access controls in place, static IP, straight forward WORKGROUP on Network. The NAS controls access as opposed to Authentication Server etc).

I discovered some time ago Sonos doesn’t like playing music files held on the NAS which have been added to iTunes via a Mapped Network Drive and so all files have been added to iTunes using UNC path i.e. \\NAS\Music\etc. iTunes has no problem playing all files thus confirming link between iTunes Library and source files is good

Any thoughts?

Echoing everyone else’s comments on this one. Pissed Off goes nowhere near to describing my feelings over this and I’m gobsmacked they seem to be suggesting they are doing us a favour by ‘introducing’ this as a feature mid-June after some f***wits removed it to begin with… Unbelievable…!

Any ideas at all?

Just a thought but how have your music files been added to iTunes? UNC or Mapped Network Drive?

I had to delete my library after using a Mapped Drive and re-add using the UNC Path i.e. \\NAS\Music\Artist\Album\File.mp3

Userlevel 2

I dont think you can fix this issue. its hard to believe but apparently the latest version doesn’t include the option to add music from a local library.

I understand the latest “upgrade” is a complete rewrite of the Sonos app designed to make listening to my music more rewarding. Only trouble is it will not actually connect to or play music from my iMac music library. So if thats your only source that you play from, forget it.

According to Sonos, this is not an error but a feature that has yet to be included in the new app.

What ! Isn’t playing music from a local library a basic requirement of a Sonos system ? Whoever thought it was a good or acceptable idea to release on unsuspecting customers. Absolutely outrageous.

I’ve just had an online chat with a Sonos agent who said …

This revitalization of the Sonos app is our most ambitious software update yet, and aims to address what our customers have been asking us for. It’s a huge undertaking, and we are taking the time and effort to ensure all features work seamlessly and meet both our standards and the standards of our listeners. With this commitment in mind, features such as alarms, browsing music library and sleep timers will not be available at launch, but will be added to the app on a rolling basis over the coming months.”

I was also told it should be available mid June … but they didnt say which year.

Userlevel 2

As a follow up question I’d really like Sonos to respond and explain why they’ve done it like this. There are many of us out there who use their music library as the primary source for playing music that they have collected into neat playlists over the years. Its astounding that any software update should be released without such a fundamental feature.

I too have £££ invested in sonos equipment that can no longer access my music library

Userlevel 1

This SONOS update could not have hit at a worse time for me.  I had just purchased and received a Brennan B3, so I could put rip all of my CDs (500+/-) in a lossless (FLAC) format onto a NAS, that was SUPPOSED to work well with SONOS.  I was about a day into the ripping, when this monstrosity was dropped on us.  I’m having many of the same issues others have posted here, including the 913 message.

One thing I know for sure, is that I’ll not be buying the SONOS headsets.  If they can’t get the basics right, or worse, their software messes up my system, I’m not going to spend my money with them.  For now however, I’ve a huge investment in SONOS speakers, and in CDs, and in purchased music.   This SONOS update has crippled all of that, which is a truly amazing way of doing business.  USUALLY, companies act like they like they respect their customers.

HelpingIsKind, I’m not talented with computers, so I need every step spelled out.  When I tried what you posted, I get an error that the Sonos speaker can’t be found.  How do I search for it in the Advanced Sharing?

I have a MAC.  My SONOS stopped reading my music library after the update.  Very frustrating...

On Mac:

1. Go to System Setting > General > Sharing
  2. Turn on File Sharing and click info icon next to it
  3. Add your library folder to the Shared Folders section
  4. Click Options down the bottom of the dialog and turn on Windows File Sharing for your user

In Sonos app:

1. Add library folder using Networked Device option
  2. Path is the below, formatted as per examples
    • your computer hostname (you can find this at the bottom of System Setting > General) plus
    • name of library folder you added above
  3. Enter computer username and password and you should be good to go

Thanks for that, simply explained and it worked for me on my Mac after several very frustrating days! 

Thank you so much for this.  It seems to be working.  It’s “updating music library” which is the furthest I’ve been able to get for days now.  Hoping this does the trick!