Answered

Updates removed my local music library and now I get Error code 913

Show first post

213 replies

Userlevel 2

This post will now be a PDF file on Dropbox as even their “chat” is wrong.  The document to come is 2,276 characters with spacing, yet, this is the rejection message:

In order to get the “solution,” go to the attached “tech tip” where it appears we have found at least one way to get add the Music Library back after the forced upgrade from the S1 application on the MacOS to their new S2 version. 

I took the trouble to migrate one of my production Mac Pro systems running OS 12, and from other notes and trials and errors got a reproducible work around.  AND NOTE...THERE ARE NOT GUARANTEES THAT SONOS WON’T BREAK THIS IN AN ATTEMPT TO “FIX” THE ORIGINAL PROBLEMS.  I inserted redactions where necessary.

From reviewing other attempts from other users, this seems to be a reproducible procedure done on an iMac running MacOS 12.7.5 (21H1222) and the latest S2  SONOS application version 16.2.

Upon completion, the Music Library should be visible again in the iOS S2 "gold icon" app and also in the new "black icon" app with all of the noted deficiencies in it.  And note: as this is clearly a work-around that takes license to allow access without permissions etc., including telling the SONOS app that the Mac hosted library is a NAS.

Let me know if this does not work or if there are other work arounds.  Good luck.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/xb7s3gyg9wzt9elgh3qqh/How-to-Add-SONOS-Music-Library-Back-After-Forced-App-Update-Deleted-It-05172024.pdf?rlkey=4s5dqp6ue7t86ixn87hwvjw5t&st=nsmbre8x&dl=0

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

This post will now be a PDF file on Dropbox as even their “chat” is wrong.  The document to come is 2,276 characters with spacing, yet, this is the rejection message:

In order to get the “solution,” go to the attached “tech tip” where it appears we have found at least one way to get add the Music Library back after the forced upgrade from the S1 application on the MacOS to their new S2 version. 

I took the trouble to migrate one of my production Mac Pro systems running OS 12, and from other notes and trials and errors got a reproducible work around.  AND NOTE...THERE ARE NOT GUARANTEES THAT SONOS WON’T BREAK THIS IN AN ATTEMPT TO “FIX” THE ORIGINAL PROBLEMS.  I inserted redactions where necessary.

From reviewing other attempts from other users, this seems to be a reproducible procedure done on an iMac running MacOS 12.7.5 (21H1222) and the latest S2  SONOS application version 16.2.

Upon completion, the Music Library should be visible again in the iOS S2 "gold icon" app and also in the new "black icon" app with all of the noted deficiencies in it.  And note: as this is clearly a work-around that takes license to allow access without permissions etc., including telling the SONOS app that the Mac hosted library is a NAS.

Let me know if this does not work or if there are other work arounds.  Good luck.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/xb7s3gyg9wzt9elgh3qqh/How-to-Add-SONOS-Music-Library-Back-After-Forced-App-Update-Deleted-It-05172024.pdf?rlkey=4s5dqp6ue7t86ixn87hwvjw5t&st=nsmbre8x&dl=0

Terry - thanks for the tip. It certainly was worth a try, but it didn’t work for me. My iMac is running on macOS Sonoma Version 14.4.1 but I still followed all the steps as you outlined. Still a no go, but my Sonos speakers are looking really nice as plant stands.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Same here, but thanks to PaulRB371 and HelpingIsKind I fixed it in 2 minutes. Here’s how:

1. I have a PC. Not a Mac.
  2. Find a music folder that you want to “share” with SONOS (i.e. navigate to the folder on the PC).
  3. Right click on the folder
  4. Select “Properties” from menu
  5. Select “Sharing” tab
  6. Click “Share...” button (opens “Network Access” window)
  7. Select your SONOS system from the pulldown menu in the center of the window.
  8. Click “Share” button at the bottom of the “Network Access” window 
  9. It took SONOS 10 minutes to add my library of 10K+ songs

Userlevel 3
Badge

Same here, but thanks to PaulRB371 and HelpingIsKind I fixed it in 2 minutes. Here’s how:

1. I have a PC. Not a Mac.
  2. Find a music folder that you want to “share” with SONOS (i.e. navigate to the folder on the PC).
  3. Right click on the folder
  4. Select “Properties” from menu
  5. Select “Sharing” tab
  6. Click “Share...” button (opens “Network Access” window)
  7. Select your SONOS system from the pulldown menu in the center of the window.
  8. Click “Share” button at the bottom of the “Network Access” window 
  9. It took SONOS 10 minutes to add my library of 10K+ songs

Userlevel 3
Badge

Here is the fix for a PC. It takes two minutes:

1. Find a music folder that you want to “share” with SONOS (i.e. navigate to the folder on the PC).
  2. Right click on the folder
  3. Select “Properties” from menu
  4. Select “Sharing” tab
  5. Click “Share...” button (opens “Network Access” window)
  6. Select your SONOS system from the pulldown menu in the center of the window.
  7. Click “Share” button at the bottom of the “Network Access” window 
  8. It took SONOS 10 minutes to add my library of 10K+ songs

Userlevel 1

Same problem, I also get the 913 when trying to attach My Music or a NAS server

Me too. I spent 2 hours trying to fix this. It sucks for me, but it really sucks for their VP of engineering. The end is near.  Sonos’s software development team lost two of their most talented engineers, the engineers who the less-than-3-year noobs rely on. They left because a new manager’s been hired to keep down costs and drive up work hours. Ugh, poor team. This happens all the time with companies that  differentiated via innovative technology products. I bought my Sonos system in 2014, and loved it. The last 2+ years though, it does not work well. I've spent hours with sonos tech support. They are nice people, but their solution only solve the problem today so i end the call. In one or two days its back to failing. Bose is showing me how to convert onto their system, buhbye sonos. 

Does anyone know if they intentionally stopped supporting SMBv1, or they just broke the whole thing?

I’m okay with updating my outdated NAS, but if they broke all sharing, I’ll wait. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Does anyone know if they intentionally stopped supporting SMBv1, or they just broke the whole thing?

I’m okay with updating my outdated NAS, but if they broke all sharing, I’ll wait. 

• Sonos systems no longer support local library shares that use SMBv1 / HTTP. If your library was shared with Sonos using one of these older protocols, you can add it back to Sonos by manually sharing your music folder using SMBv2 or SMBv3, then adding it back to your system using the Sonos app for macOS or Windows.

https://support.sonos.com/en-au/article/release-notes-for-sonos-software-updates

Dang. Thanks for sharing that. 
guess I’ll have to watch that url, as Sonos evidently doesn’t think to warn us about serious degradations..

I have a MAC.  My SONOS stopped reading my music library after the update.  Very frustrating...

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have a MAC.  My SONOS stopped reading my music library after the update.  Very frustrating...

On Mac:

1. Go to System Setting > General > Sharing
  2. Turn on File Sharing and click info icon next to it
  3. Add your library folder to the Shared Folders section
  4. Click Options down the bottom of the dialog and turn on Windows File Sharing for your user

In Sonos app:

1. Add library folder using Networked Device option
  2. Path is the below, formatted as per examples
    • your computer hostname (you can find this at the bottom of System Setting > General) plus
    • name of library folder you added above
  3. Enter computer username and password and you should be good to go

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

»   

Here is the fix for a PC. It takes two minutes:

1. Find a music folder that you want to “share” with SONOS (i.e. navigate to the folder on the PC).
  4. Select “Sharing” tab

Scrubbrush,

I’ve spent 7-8 hours so far trying to add my Music Library.  The above solution seemed like the best way to solve the problem.

But when I came to the last thing (clicking on Sonos Wireless Hifi System), I got the message “Folder cannot be found.”  Any suggestions?

»   

Here is the fix for a PC. It takes two minutes:

4. Select “Sharing” tab

Scrubbrush,

I’ve spent 7-8 hours so far trying to add my Music Library.  The above solution seemed like the best way to solve the problem.

But when I came to the last thing (clicking on Sonos Wireless Hifi System), I got the message “Folder cannot be found.”  Any suggestions?

I had the same problem at first. I typed in just Sonos, allowing my PC to display the rest. Then I clicked on it and the PC accepted it. Otherwise try reloading Sonos. Then I reloaded my library. This took a couple of tries as I kept getting the option to choose my music folder. Just ignore this if you are getting the loading icon on your Sonos. Good luck and preserve.

Yeah, this is terrible. It’s definitely not my fault. Sonos app needs some serious fixing.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Bryan SM,

Thanks for the suggestion.  It seemed to work for a few minutes but then I got the message, “Folder cannot be shared.”

Userlevel 1
Badge

On a Windows 11 (fully updated) PC, I also see the 913 error.  None of the suggested workarounds are working for me to restore Sonos access to my music library.  The Music folder is already shared.  

What a shambles.  It goes to show that the Sonos testing regime isn’t anything like rigorous enough.

Waardeloze update. Schandalig om dit zonder waarschuwing uit te voeren. Mijn NAS is niet meer te bereiken met de app.

Hi all,

Thank you to everyone who shared solutions. I’ve tried the one above (for PC) and it has now allowed me to add local folders. However, it still won’t allow my NAS drive. I’ve checked all of its permissions and it seems OK (it certainly was yesterday!).

Any help with this would be very welcome.

I was also angry, but thanks for PaulRB371, I tried the method to allow Music Folder permission and it worked!

Please right-click on the Music Folder > Properties > Advanced Sharing > Add Sonos Wireless HiFi System to Read/Write:

This was working for me yesterday, thanks for sharing.  Sadly it’s not now. SONOS have bricked my whole system!

I was finally able to get this working with a change to m-m-i’s advice. On my iMac I needed to specify:

\\Hostname\username\Music

Hi all,

Thank you to everyone who shared solutions. I’ve tried the one above (for PC) and it has now allowed me to add local folders. However, it still won’t allow my NAS drive. I’ve checked all of its permissions and it seems OK (it certainly was yesterday!).

Any help with this would be very welcome.

A quick update,

I spotted the comment about how the new update meant NAS drives with a sharing protocol of SMB1 were no longer supported. I had no idea what that meant and ignored it as my NAS drive isn’t that old. Then I discovered that I did need to activate SMB2 on my NAS drive and that alongside the other advice given here worked.

Thank you again all you helpful stuff!

It’s still 3 hours of my life I’ll never get back. So no thanks to SONOS :(

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Same problem here on a Mac running Sonoma and trying to reconnect to a time capsule. Local Music folder cannot be added, too. Wasted half a day. Any way to downgrade?? Otherwise I will give my speakers away. They are nothing worth without a functioning app….

I also use a Time Capsule with the same issue. What is (913)?

Badge

I’ve managed (using tips from other users in this thread) to get my Music Library folders to appear once again.  I still have a couple of issues:

1.  I had to remove several hundred songs from one of the folders for it to work.
  2. The only way I can play the music in these folders is with the Sonos app on my computer, or use the wife’s phone (I suggested she not update her sonos app)

The new sonos app on my phone sees the music library folders, but I can’t figure out how to play them.

Main computer is Macbook Air M3 running Sonoma.  Music Library is on a Macbook Air Intel running Monterey.  Phones run ios 17.5

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I tried to do screen sharing with Sonos (abc.sonos.com) yesterday but their app did not work.  I was told that my SMB2 or SMB3 were either not enabled or working.  But even if the technical support person (someone in the Phillipines, I surmise) had been able to screen share my desktop with me, it’s unclear to me that she would have been able to get my music library added to my Sonos system.

How long are people supposed to wait before they can listen to their Music Library via Sonos? 

My library is huge and I listen to it almost exclusively on my four Sonos Play:1 speakers.

I was also angry, but thanks for PaulRB371, I tried the method to allow Music Folder permission and it worked!

Please right-click on the Music Folder > Properties > Advanced Sharing > Add Sonos Wireless HiFi System to Read/Write:

Tried 2 days to solve this problem, HelpingisKind provided the only solution that worked