Answered

Sleep Timer using Alexa - not working with Sonos One

• 31 October 2017
  • 63 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

63 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5
This is indeed disapointing, our Ones are in the bedroom and sleeptimer was something we were looking for, the fact that alexa is limited on the Sonos One was not clearly mentionned. The way things are now, a dot with 2 play-1 would have been better for us. Some road-map should be available so users can see what is being worked on and coming. Hope Sonos will be providing everyone with info that will help everyone wait....
Any updates Ryan? It’s been 4 months. Thx.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Adding my voice here. Very disappointed something as simple as a sleep timer will not work on the Sonos One via voice control.

I see in previous messages that this is a high priority issue for Sonos. Since it has been 3 months with no resolution, this is either not true, or there is a serious technical issue preventing it from working.

I’m having a few other issues with the Sonos One. Audible doesn’t work, Alexa’s voice changes volume, among a few smaller issues. All is not well. I still have time to return this product, and I will, if the issues I and others are having are not resolved.
Also wanting this feature to work properly badly. Having to set from the Sonos app instead of asking Alexa for it
Badge +1
I have the same need for this feature.
I guess it was a mistake to assume that "Alexa" was being built in, I expected to be able to use all the same commands as I could with the Echo... 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi dasym, I'll reach out to the team again to make sure it's still high on their list. I don't have any specifics today but I'll let you know when it's resolved.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
So, silence from Sonos on when this feature, broken from the start, will be fixed.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Hi, the Sonos One should be able to set sleep timers, we're looking into some trouble right now with them not working. Thanks for reaching out and asking. We'll be getting them up and running as soon as we can.It's now 3 months since you said this was getting fixed, and you've repeated that several times since. What is happening?
Just noticed this issue too. Very annoying but glad to hear it's high on the priority list. I. Sure it takes coordination between teams on both sides of the corporate table, which is a plausible reason for delay. But Ryan, we'd greatly appreciate a timeframe for a solution , whenever you're able to provide it. Under sell, over deliver 😉
Userlevel 2
Badge
Any news on this? You said 2 months ago that this was high up on the list to be resolved soon. Just frustrating that there’s so many little things like this and Alexa. You really shouldn’t have released Sonos with Alexa until it was actually any good!

Yes, I can turn off the microphone and use my Dot but defeats the point of having a single unit to do both things.
Userlevel 3
Noticed the same issue. Hoping this can be sorted out soon! Had to set up my Echo Dot which I had planned to replace with the Sonos One in order to play music to fall asleep too. 😕
Is there any updates to this issue, it's a real pain to have to do it in the Sonos app as Alexa doesn't work with it for the timer, found out when my music was playing at midnight...
I find this issue frustrating as well. I was trying to automate a nighttime routine. I can use IFTTT to push a button on my watch and start my preferred music on my Sonos, but I’ve found no way to get it to turn off without going into the app and setting a sleep timer every night. This is very disappointing. Since Logitech Harmony can access a lot of Sonos functionality, but not the sleep timer, I’m hoping that could be resolved as well?
I have become a big Sonos fan. I have FOUR Sonos Ones. However I am very disappointed to see this thread going on for over 2 months and the issue of the Sleep Timer working with Alexa is still not resolved. There is much to like about the Sonos One. But all it takes is a simple little issue like this to make a very good product into a so so one. Please let us all know when this will be resolved.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I love my Sonos speakers (so much I dumped all my Bose), but I am disappointed at this missing feature, and even more so that the in-store Sonos display specifically says in the on-screen demo, "All your music plus everything Alexa does" and that is verbatim. It does alarms, it does timers, sure don't understand why it can't shut down playback of any kind. I contacted support and they only said they would pass it to development and ducked the question of why the display says what it says, and of course also told me I could set a sleep timer inside the Sonos app, (which is true), but that is not why I bought the Sonos One - I could do that with the Play 1 and what is nearly now 3/4 less the price for the same sound. However, I say it again, I love my Sonos sound, but if I had but one wish, it would be to get the sleep timer working with the Sonos One by Alexa command. That's my two cents.
What is the status of the Alexa voice controlled sleep timer. I do not understand the difficulty. You advertise the Sonos One as an Alexa device. I expect it to be able to do what the Echo does. Amazon knows how to implement the sleep timer so maybe you should ask for assistance from them. We want the sleep timer for the bedroom and the kitchen. This is a major deal breaker. Luckily I can return one of these. It was ominous that your last email had removed that it was a feature coming. Please advise.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I too had the same experience. I own many Sonos, including two of the Sonos One. I bought one specifically for the b3droom as a I love going to sleep with music. I previously used an Echo, but wanted the sound quality of the Sonos speaker instead. So excited thinking a Sonos One would do the trick, was shocked to learn it DOES NOT perform the timers using “Alexa”. Really strange because you can set an alarm, but it will not use the sleep timer to stop music. UGH. I hope they develop this feature. Until them, may have to return the extra unit I bought and go back to the Echo again. (Sadly) it is ok, but not the quality of the Sonos for sure.
I’m having the same problem trying to set a sleep timer from my Echo Dot to my Sonos 5. Please fix it for this too.
There is a work around to this if you have Android using the AutoVoice, Tasker and Macronos apps. It seems to work well and in a way is even better: you can fade the music gently rather than just having it suddenly stop.

Can you elaborate on this. Apologies but this is Chinese to me. I have a sonos one (Alexa btw is terrible at understanding requests for radio stations) and not sure where I would go for auto voice, taster/ macronos apps. Thank you.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
There is a work around to this if you have Android using the AutoVoice, Tasker and Macronos apps. It seems to work well and in a way is even better: you can fade the music gently rather than just having it suddenly stop.
@dasym, it's in the works still. From what I've heard, they're closing in on the issue and I know it's high up on the list to be resolved as soon as it can be.

I just bought a Sonos One and the issue with the sleep timer is still not resolved. Is there an update on this? Disappointed as I wanted a second one for’the bedroom which I’m now holding off on.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
We're still looking into this one with the team. There are two sleep timers at play here and they aren't linked. Sonos has a built-in sleep timer that can be turned on using the Sonos App, and there's also an Alexa sleep timer. The Alexa sleep timer isn't sending a command to Sonos players to stop that they recognize when the timer runs out. We're looking into this to see what can be done but don't have any specific details to share.

As to the message you posted above, Ontologue, I think they might have thought you were asking about using voice to turn on the Sonos Sleep Timer, as opposed to using the one within Alexa. In either case, it's good to have the request passed on to the team, which the technician did.

Thanks for asking everyone, and I'll let you know if I hear anything about the status changing here.
Ryan, it's a month since you said you were closing in on the issue, but it's still not working. Any update?

I ordered a Sonos One to use in the bedroom instead of an Echo, but remembered about this issue and checked. Lucky I did: order cancelled, I'm sorry to say.
Yes, please implement the sleep timer through Alexa. I want to walk into the bedroom and set the music and timer with my voice. Also Alexa gives finer granularity with its sleep timer. I would also love status on this must have feature. Thank You.
Badge
It would be great to get the sleep timer to work through Alexa rather than having to set a sleep timer through the Sonos app which, for such a great piece of kit, is decidedly clunky! This is for me the last piece of the puzzle to make the Sonos one almost perfect
@RyanS Thank you for your reply. Yes, my issues are with the Alexa sleep timer. The Sonos app initiated sleep timer works as advertised. Thanks, Rob