Resolving (the majority of) Issues with Alexa on Sonos

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

111 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks for that, I will try the wife's device route and let you know how I get on.
Cheers.

The best way to do this is when you open the Sonos App in your new home make sure you select New System and not Connect to Existing. (If you've already connected, just uninstall and then install the Sonos App again.)The Sonos app will then ask you to enter your email and password and if you enter a different email to your first home account then a new account will be created. When you add voice services for this new account, it will ask you to enter your Amazon account details, at this point you need to enter your wife's Amazon account details. (Make sure that you are not still logged into your Amazon account on the same device when setting up as otherwise it will default to this account.) Let us know how you get on, once this set-up is done, there will be no complication switching between addresses.
Badge
Thanks again, just a thought I was thinking my other option would be to wait for Google home to be supported apparently some time this year..?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks again, just a thought I was thinking my other option would be to wait for Google home to be supported apparently some time this year..?

I would expect the same issue. The cloud doesn't know you have two homes unless you have two accounts. I helped someone early on where someone's boyfriend was playing music through his girlfriends speaker and one was east coast of the US and the other west coast. It really is simple if you follow my instructions in my previous post.
Badge
Ok thanks, I will give it a go and let you know.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I just want to say that it is insane to have to factory reset all Sonos devices, especially when one has several rooms set up, to resolve this issue.

No idea why better solutions have not been offered. No idea why this thread is still stickied.

Hello, guys! I perchased the Sonos One speaker resently. In Alexa app I found a function to adjust the speaker to my voice in order to make it respond only to my voice. When I press button to start setting this function, the app says that my device doesn’t support this function, though in help page of this function I found that Sonos One does support it. Why I can’t start this function?
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
It's the same for me but I can't find an exact answer....
roman2810 & marianvlaza: Thanks for posting, I'm happy to clear this up. That particular feature is only available to Amazon Echo devices and is not supported on Sonos One. Should this change and I am able to provide an update I will be sure to reach out with an announcement on the Community. Thanks!

I just want to say that it is insane to have to factory reset all Sonos devices, especially when one has several rooms set up, to resolve this issue.

No idea why better solutions have not been offered. No idea why this thread is still stickied.

There is never, ever a need to factory reset, unless an update fails in the middle of updating, and certainly not for any issues with Alexa.  In fact, Sonos advises against it unless specifically told to do so by support.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

There ought to be a post that is not two years old that addresses these issues, since they are still ongoing. Has there really been no progress made in terms of the software all this time?

The steps are still valid and that doesn't necessarily imply a software defect. Do you have a specific issue?

Two years of ‘solutions’ involving logging out of amazon on every device implies that something is not working right out of the box, I would say. My devices’s Alexa drops in and out of usability at random. Current status is for over a day it’s just not responded, no “I’m sorry...” message, no tone. Shows as enabled in the Sonos app and “offline” in the alexa app. The echo dot I thought I’d be replacing still functions without any issues.

Please follow the steps in this post.

Thank you for the suggestion. I assigned permanent IP addresses to my three speakers when I first encountered issues with the new Sonos One. I’ve since sent it back to Sonos after speaking with a technician on the phone, have set up a new Sonos One (also with permanent IP address) and have encountered the same issues: alexa saying sorry I’m unable, and more importantly the speaker dropping off the network and not being able to be rediscovered without a factory reset.

Thanks Ken, that worked!! I must have done that 20 times before doing the full reset without it working, but never thought to do it again afterwards!

The only downside is that my 7 year old will be in charge of the music again now 😉 At least she has good taste (other than her obsession with Little Mix)!
Userlevel 2
Badge +2

There is never, ever a need to factory reset, unless an update fails in the middle of updating, and certainly not for any issues with Alexa.  In fact, Sonos advises against it unless specifically told to do so by support.  

Step 3 of Edward R’s first post specifically mentions factory reset. This is why I am suggesting this thread either be unstickied, or edited with more current instructions.

3. Factory Reset the Sonos One by following the steps here.

This did not resolve the issue of Alexa skills not actually playing even though Alexa acknowledged the command and said "now playing..." I am having this same issue, followed all the instructions three times over, clearing out Amazon accounts, etc, and nothing. She still says, "playing *whatever*" and then nothing. This is very irritating. Anything I can do? If not I might have to return.
Userlevel 3
Badge
This did not resolve the issue of Alexa skills not actually playing even though Alexa acknowledged the command and said "now playing..." I am having this same issue, followed all the instructions three times over, clearing out Amazon accounts, etc, and nothing. She still says, "playing *whatever*" and then nothing. This is very irritating. Anything I can do? If not I might have to return.

This was a known issue for a while with no amount of resetting addressing it, but it seems to have been fixed in one of the last two Sonos updates. Mine now works OK (previously no joy even with UK Media's steps).

So do check your application version on your phone/device and make sure Sonos is updated to the latest version.

As a test, enable "Babbling Brook" skill on the Alexa page and then say "Alexa, start babbling brook".

Good luck.
There is no Forget All in the Alexa app. There is also no Settings on the Sonos link USA site. Terrible instructions.
I have a new Sonos Beam. All working well, except I can't setup Alexa. I've been onto the Alexa app/website and added the Sonos skill; I've then been through the steps of providing Amazon and Sonos credentials. But then when it asks to discover, it tells me that an error has occurred so the Beam never appears. I've tried restarting the Beam but to no avail. It is my first Alexa product fyi. Please can someone assist? Been going at this for hours.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
There is no Forget All in the Alexa app. There is also no Settings on the Sonos link USA site. Terrible instructions.

I can't see the US site, as I have a UK account but they were there and still are on the UK site Also, are you trying to tell me that Amazon have removed the Settings page from the Alexa App in the US? How do you configure Alexa then?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have a new Sonos Beam. All working well, except I can't setup Alexa. I've been onto the Alexa app/website and added the Sonos skill; I've then been through the steps of providing Amazon and Sonos credentials. But then when it asks to discover, it tells me that an error has occurred so the Beam never appears. I've tried restarting the Beam but to no avail. It is my first Alexa product fyi. Please can someone assist? Been going at this for hours.

Is your Beam visible to your Sonos App?
Yes...

Strangely, when I click on Voice Services in the Sonos App it tells me voice services are not currently available in my country. I’m in the UK.
Mendy45 go to your Sonos Account here https://www.sonos.com/myaccount/ and look at flag on left hand side and make sure you are set to UK... you can click the flag to change country if necessary.

If it isn’t your Sonos account make sure your Amazon Alexa account is also set to UK. I’m not sure where the setting is for that, but hopefully you will find it, or can speak to Amazon Support to resolve that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Yes...

Strangely, when I click on Voice Services in the Sonos App it tells me voice services are not currently available in my country. I’m in the UK.

Can you check your addess in your profile in www.sonos.com and also the device location in the Alexa app>settings>{your beam}
Mendy45 go to your Sonos Account here https://www.sonos.com/myaccount/ and look at flag on left hand side and make sure you are set to UK... you can click the flag to change country if necessary.

If it isn’t your Sonos account make sure your Amazon Alexa account is also set to UK. I’m not sure where the setting is for that, but hopefully you will find it, or can speak to Amazon Support to resolve that.

Thanks - both look like they are set to UK...
Yes...

Can you check your addess in your profile in www.sonos.com and also the device location in the Alexa app>settings>{your beam}

Sonos looks like it is set to UK, but I can’t check the device location on Alexa as the app isn’t picking it up. Tells me discovery has failed every time I try to search for it...
Just to update, I have managed to locate my Beam in the Alexa app by configuring the voice function on my iPhone and then asking Alexa to find me devices. So that worked, but I still don’t seem to be able to talk directly to the Beam...
mendy45

You should see two devices for your Beam in the Alexa App smart-home device list ... see my screenshot. My Beam is located in the 'Dining Room' in my case. Make sure those entries aren’t duplicated in the device list and if so, remove them all and ask Alexa to rescan for devices.