Answered

Microphone sensitivity for the “Alexa” wake word is low

I still have to use either, but here is the Stuff magazine take on this, from their review:
"Finally, Alexa seems to be less responsive on the Sonos One, at least compared to the Echo, meaning you have to speak a little bit louder for it to hear you. Considering my Echo will sometimes pick up an unintended ‘Alexa’ reference while I’m chatting in another room, this probably isn’t as significant a shortcoming as it sounds.
Read more at https://www.stuff.tv/sonos/one/review#RDh9IciKOQwAQ2K0.99

But something that is a concern that Sonos ought to look at, if what you say is more applicable.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 20 December 2017, 23:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

262 replies

Any news regarding the microphone not working properly? I have just bought a couple of sonos ones. Enabled Alexa and updated the firmware. The microphone is really bad. I have to stay next to the speaker for it to hear my voice. Furthermore i have to speake louder than i usually would for it to hear it. Is it supposed to be that bad`?
Nothing yet. And to be honest, I wouldn’t get your hopes up. It looks like Sonos is really dragging their legs with fixing/improving what’s already been released and instead just releasing new products to keep increasing sales by expanding their product line. It’s almost Q4, and they have yet to release the Google Home interface for the ONE let alone address the horrid mic sensitivity issue. Not a fan of having to constantly yell at my device to the point where I’m sure my neighbors can hear me. (I live in an apt)
Same here. Tired of having to be so close to the speaker for it to wake up. My wife thinks I’m crazy when I practically have to yell at it when I’m a bit away from the speaker. :@:@ Another thing that really frustrates me is when I use the command « flash briefing «  and she answers « here’s your news briefing » and then NOTHING. 😠
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
If you're yelling at your Sonos One, then something isn't right. While the sensitivity used to be quite poor, it's improved to the point now where I use a low speaking voice, even across the room when music is playing at a nominal volume. One suggestion is to cycle the mic button on top of the unit on and off, as that usually restores any loss of sensitivity that has built up over time with the Sonos One. Sonos is aware of this issue, which is frankly overdue for a fix, as this can be inconvenient for those of us who have mounted our speakers higher in the room. Fortunately, in my experience anyway, the mic button doesn't need to be cycled very often.

Sonos has said that Google Assistant will be released in November or December of this year, in time for the holiday sales season.
If you're yelling at your Sonos One, then something isn't right. While the sensitivity used to be quite poor, it's improved to the point now where I use a low speaking voice, even across the room when music is playing at a nominal volume. One suggestion is to cycle the mic button on top of the unit on and off, as that usually restores any loss of sensitivity that has built up over time with the Sonos One. Sonos is aware of this issue, which is frankly overdue for a fix, as this can be inconvenient for those of us who have mounted our speakers higher in the room. Fortunately, in my experience anyway, the mic button doesn't need to be cycled very often.

Sonos has said that Google Assistant will be released in November or December of this year, in time for the holiday sales season.

i have pressed that mic button a couple of times and it doesn't help. I have to be max. 2 meter from the One for it to hear me and for this to work i have to speak into the direction where it's plased. I have 2 Ones in 2 different rooms and it's the same problem with both of them. Furthermore if it's playing music (Medium level) I have to raise my voice a lot for it to pick up the magic Alexa word...
i have pressed that mic button a couple of times and it doesn't help. I have to be max. 2 meter from the One for it to hear me and for this to work i have to speak into the direction where it's plased. I have 2 Ones in 2 different rooms and it's the same problem with both of them. Furthermore if it's playing music (Medium level) I have to raise my voice a lot for it to pick up the magic Alexa word...
As Master T suggests you must have something wrong with your devices. I have an echo Dot and Sonos Ones in several rooms and the Sonos One is far more sensitive and responsive. I only have to speak in a normal voice from across the other side of the room. It sounds like yours are not behaving as they should be. Have you tried calling and speaking to Sonos Support.

As far as I’m aware, any existing Sonos One mic issues have been resolved. I’m most certainly not getting any issue where I have to shout or stand next to the device for it to hear me.
As Master T suggests you must have something wrong with your devices. I have an echo Dot and Sonos Ones in several rooms and the Sonos One is far more sensitive and responsive. I only have to speak in a normal voice from across the other side of the room. It sounds like yours are not behaving as they should be. Have you tried calling and speaking to Sonos Support.

As far as I’m aware, any existing Sonos One mic issues have been resolved. I’m most certainly not getting any issue where I have to shout or stand next to the device for it to hear me.

I have submitted a request to sonos. But i know others have the same issue. Try to watch this video from an Echo device

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7ZJQ0H48sw

This behavior is WAY BETTER than my Sonos One. The guy can speak from 10 meters distance and also whisper, and still the Echo recognizes the "Alexa word" and commands. The Sonos One is nowhere near capable of doing this..
Rskadk,

I was playing the YouTube video link above on my iPad and my Sonos One (Approx 5 metres away) picked up the first question and answered it straight away...I think that’s around 17 feet away... and whilst my iPad is currently set on full volume, it’s not really all that loud. So my Sonos One mic is sensitive, I think, and there is no way I really ever need to shout loudly at all... just speak to it as you would normally. If not, then I would pick up the phone and actually speak to sonos support.
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
The Sonos One is nowhere near capable of doing this..

Yes, it is. Mine does. Call support.
Yes mine is pretty also bad...!

And just bought 6 of them for the whole house, and all of the suffer :-(

Using the "Alexa Broadcast" skill also plays at a very low volume and with at lot of white noise, so understand why the wake word fails to do it's job...

I'm afraid it is the hardware it self that are crappy, else a software fix should have happen a long time ago...

All of mine have Hardware Version: 1.21.1.8-2 so maybe it has been fixed in a later batch?

Have a small Google Mini and that is just plain superior, - never have to raise my voice.

Hope there is a fix or my $$$ investment seems to be wasted and never ever coming back to Sonos!

/CU
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
I have six Sonos Ones, four of which were purchased upon or shortly after release in October/November of last year. The other two were purchased months later. None have the issue described and, in any event, Sonos has always insisted microphone sensitivity issue is a software issue. Proof of that lies in the fact that when I first purchased mine, they were absolutely terrible. Now, several firmware updates later, they are very nearly equal to all three of my echo devices.

If cycling the mic button on each of the Sonos One doesn't improve sensitivity for you, contact support. You should not have to stand next to your Sonos Ones or yell at them to get their attention unless there is a whole lot of extraneous background noise in the areas where you have them.