Question

cant sign in to amazon when adding alexa

Userlevel 3

In the new app, I go all the way until it says signing in to Amazon. It stays there eternally. Tried everything. Deleted data, cache, restarted system, factory settings, etc. I can't pass that step to add Amazon Alexa to my speakers. 

96 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Pitts 

Thanks for the diagnostics - although I have removed your post where you gave me them (they are identifying info), I have passed it along to my colleague.

Thank you. 

Should note, I believe it's app issue with android devices

Badge

update: it worked from an iphone, but does not work on android (samsung). clearly it is an app issue

Thank you so much for the tip mate, I am so glad I came in here to have a nosey.

As we switched ISP’s literally the same time as I downloaded the new app I started blaming the EE Smart Hub Plus 🙄 all the more so after I noticed the Boost had stopped working which turns out is also related to the new firmware being buggy as hell.

At least we’ve got Alexa on our pair of Era 100’s in the kitchen again courtesy of your post, top banana 👍🏻

Similar issue. Alexa works on my One but stopped working on the Beam and now when I try to add Alexa through the Sonos app (Android) it gets stuck on “Signing in to Amazon”. Any fixes coming? It won’t let me deregister through the Alexa app either. Anyone tried a factory reset or is it an app thing?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Similar issue. Alexa works on my One but stopped working on the Beam and now when I try to add Alexa through the Sonos app (Android) it gets stuck on “Signing in to Amazon”. Any fixes coming? It won’t let me deregister through the Alexa app either. Anyone tried a factory reset or is it an app thing?

Yep, done factory resets and a whole lot more - even tried creating a new SONOS account. Also spent most of the morning with customer support last Friday on this. Nothing gets it working, I'm afraid. 

I've subbmitted a diagnostic to @Corry P as requested, so really hoping this will get resolved having spent a huge amount of money on two ERA 300s specifically as they had Alexa functionality (which was working beautifully until the app update!)

I suggest everyone does as @Corry P suggests above and then hopefully the tech team can spot the commonality between our phones/systems/UIs...

Userlevel 2

Hi @Nico Sener et al

Thanks for reporting this issue with adding Alexa. We are unable to reproduce this issue in our own testing - could some of you please re-attempt to add Alexa to your system, then when it fails, immediately submit a support diagnostic? Please don’t post the given numbers here on the forum, however - instead, please DM them to me, letting me know you were trying to add Alexa. Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

I have the same issue as everyone else. It seems to be an android issue. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Corry P any update? Clearly the Sonos mobile app and/or the firmware on the speakers is the problem. Is this just happening with Android? That should be more than enough info for a developer to figure out the issue.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I am hoping for a fast resolution too. Not beeing able to use the speakers anymore for a week now....

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @JimmyD_1 

No update, no. I doubt there will be one until a fix is released, frankly, and I don’t know how long that will take - this issue won’t be as high-priority as some other issues we are working on, unfortunately.

Please all note that you can use the Alexa app on your phone to give commands to your Sonos speakers, should you wish - just name the Sonos room in the command after tapping the Alexa icon button to start the voice command in the Alexa app.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi @JimmyD_1 

No update, no. I doubt there will be one until a fix is released, frankly, and I don’t know how long that will take - this issue won’t be as high-priority as some other issues we are working on, unfortunately.

Please all note that you can use the Alexa app on your phone to give commands to your Sonos speakers, should you wish - just name the Sonos room in the command after tapping the Alexa icon button to start the voice command in the Alexa app.

I hope this helps.

I doubt that is how alexa works. As long as the speaker is not alexa enabled, it will not be adressable by alexa. The update literally bricked the smart speaker for us, wo are never using the app and using it to control their smart home. You saying this is low priority is very frustrating as I bought the speakers only because of the alexa Support.

Userlevel 2

Hi @JimmyD_1 

I hope this helps.

I doubt that is how alexa works. As long as the speaker is not alexa enabled, it will not be adressable by alexa. The update literally bricked the smart speaker for us, wo are never using the app and using it to control their smart home. You saying this is low priority is very frustrating as I bought the speakers only because of the alexa Support.

I agree, calling this a low priority is a bit of a dig. Basically saying everyone with the android app just has to suck it up that they can't use their Sonos with the Alexa voice assistant. Not great from a customer service perspective and a key feature of the speaker not working for a large number of people. The tone of the comment is a bit insensitive.

Same issue. Been dealing with it for weeks, waited for a lengthy level 2 service consultation the other day, which I thought went very well until Alexa shut down again.  Very frustrated. This is not low priority!

Come on, Sonos - this is disgraceful service.

As with others here, I've spent £2k+ on Sonos products only to have them inoperable on your crappy app update. I work in tech and testing is commonplace for companies that care.

Sort it out before you have a class action lawsuit upon yourselves, let alone alienating your once loyal customers.

Badge

Of course this sorry situation is far from ideal and it goes without saying that Sonos definitely should have tested the new software far more than they did before pushing it out there but we’re at where we’re at.  

Like I don’t want to this to come across all muggy so please don’t it that way but surely even if you ain’t got an iOS device yourselves you will know someone who has.

I’ve got an S24 Ultra myself so I was experienced this issue earlier on this week but after reading a post in this very thread on how you can circumnavigate the bug I got my iPad out, job done.

Absolutely I do. And should I need to do such a workaround...? No.

Hi @JimmyD_1 

I hope this helps.

Honestly don't think this is low priority, it's very frustrating and we are basically helpless without a workaround. This bug needs to be addressed soon, it's been weeks now. Please ask the team to prioritize and include it in the next sprint. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Corry P. This is not low priority - I spent £900 on SONOS products in January BECAUSE after masses of research they were the very best audio speakers that had Alexa bult-in. And they were exactly this, but the , due to a lack of testing on android (because of rushing the app for a headphone launch!, SONOS have introduced a bug for all of the customers in this thread (who will represent many, many more!).

I don't want Roam 2, I don't want ACE, I want SONOS to prioritise this group of customers so our expenisve equipment works as it used to when we paid SONOS for it.

It's a bug - it works like this - find them before release - and if you don't,  panic, and then fix them as soon as they're identified. This is not some bedroom developer here with a cheap app on the app store - you're a leading premium audio manufacturer who we have all paid a monumental amount of money to!

Same issue here, i have submitted diagnostics to @Corry P .

I agree this is not a low priority, alexa integration is the only way i tend to interact with my sonos speakers due to the poor sonos app these days.

Without it personally i would look to another speaker in future which is a sad state of affairs given the quality of the speakers themselves.

I suggest scaling back research and development of new products until you can fully support the ones that are all ready in the market.

Userlevel 2

Of course this sorry situation is far from ideal and it goes without saying that Sonos definitely should have tested the new software far more than they did before pushing it out there but we’re at where we’re at.  

Like I don’t want to this to come across all muggy so please don’t it that way but surely even if you ain’t got an iOS device yourselves you will know someone who has.

I’ve got an S24 Ultra myself so I was experienced this issue earlier on this week but after reading a post in this very thread on how you can circumnavigate the bug I got my iPad out, job done.

The workaround is to purchase an IOS device then?

I agree for those with access to both then yes this is a good workaround, I have an iPhone with work but have left it in the office so won't be able to use that until next week. But this is not an option for everyone, and even for those that it is it's an extra nuisance and not something you'd expect to have to do. Android systems are very common  and so you would expect that issues effecting Android users would be treated as priority. 

Userlevel 1

I have the same problem. Cant Use Alexa anymore.  Move 2 and Roam I Cant add. So I cant Use it in garden for example 

On my New Era 100 and Era 300 I cant add Alexa.  

Without Alexa control I want my money back 

I am on Android with the Samsung S23 Ultra

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

As a work around, use a friend's iPhone to add Alexa back. I just did this and it worked. Absurd that we should have to do this, I know.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

From Sonos Support 

The current Alexa issue is known at the moment due to the time and date not yet being fully integrated in the new Sonos app.

For more information on the missing added feature being added back in the new Sonos app, please check this link: https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-and-music-services-228995/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates-6892942

Despite requesting that this issue be added to the list it still isn’t on there though. The lack of transparency is shocking. Not only are users spending hours trying to fix the issue. The support team must be sick to death of answering the same question. 
Sonos clearly needs some training in incident management. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

At least they admit it now. 2 weeks ago I spent an hour on hold just to hear the first tier support person from India named "Jenny" tell me there was something wrong with my router.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

At least they admit it now. 2 weeks ago I spent an hour on hold just to hear the first tier support person from India named "Jenny" tell me there was something wrong with my router.

They need to “admit it” on their overall bug document. Not individually to each user. It’s bonkers.