Answered

Alexa will not stop playing or pause

• 3 August 2019
  • 94 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

94 replies

I have the same problem on my two sonos ones, they will not stop, cancel or turn off to voice commands. They will change station, adjust volume and perform other voice commands but won't stop. I have tried all the suggestions on thread.

I’ve been onto Sonos several times and no solution. The last attempt was to turn off internet router and devices which seemed to work, for a day. They ended the conversation saying my internet was the problem. I’m not saying it isn't but this only started a few months ago and worked well for the 2 ish years before. I also have an amazon speaker which works.

I would love a sonos fix.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I too have this same issue. Started recently after working fine for months. Alexa pause, shut up, and stop commands no longer work for BBC Sounds or Amazon Music

I also have this issue and it start about a week ago.
I have tried removing Alexa from Sonos and readding it, a power cycle and also disabling the Sonos skill from the Alexa app and readding it.
Im glad to see it's not just an issue I have. Strength in numbers and all that. I just hope it's fixed soon!!
I also noticed that when this issue started they way in which Alexa changed the volume changed. So previously I used to say "Alexa volume down\up 5 or 10 or 20" and it would change a little. Now where I would normally say 5 if I just say 1 or 2 it changes to roughly the same volume
Thankfully the "Alexa Cancel" command mentioned by Chris ⬇️⬇️ is a wonderfully easy work around.
I also have this problem which only started about a week ago. I can stop anything played from the radio app but not Spotify.

However if if I say “Alexa Cancel” then this does work and stops the music.

I experimented with an Alexa device on a different account that is not linked to Sonos. Everything there works fine so it is definitely a Sonos skill issue.
I also just did the diagnostic report as mentioned above with ref 923158816
Thanks

I listen to ABC RN. Alexa follows command play abc Rn, but will not stop when I say stop. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I've done this twice now. In the Sonos app, under "Voice Services," I selected "Amazon Alexa" and then "Remove Alexa."

This is slightly different to what I suggested. Please open the Alexa App on Android or iOS and select the three bars in the top left hand corner, then select 'Skills & Games' from the menu and then 'Your Skills'. Please now scroll down the list of skills and select Sonos, followed by 'Disable Skill'. Then 'Enable' the skill again and retest.

I'm having the same issue on 1/3 of my Ones.

It will tell me the weather, time, etc, but won't pause or play music.

Just asked it to pause, it didn't.

Diagnostic 644808293

Userlevel 7

@lylesback2 Have you tried disabling the Sonos skill and enabling it again in the Alexa app?

I am also having this problem - Alexa won’t respond to Stop command when playing NPR. Any updates?
Badge

My Sonos Bridge is wired to the router via ethernet. All other Sonos devices are wireless into the Bridge (i.e. if I switch the Bridge off, they cannot be accessed).

All Sonos devices have a static IP address going from 192.168.1.200 to 192.168.1.207.

I’ve switched off router and Sonos devices, then back on one at a time, starting with the router, then the Bridge, Connect, Beam, 2 Sonos Play:1’s, 3 Sonos One’s. They all come up with their own IP address as expected.

… And “Alexa, stop” still doesn’t work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The team is looking into this, but I don't have any specific details on a resolution. As Disco Stu suggested above, "Play NPR" isn't able to stop, but playing a specific NPR station will. Here's why, "Play NPR" loads up the NPR skill, which isn't responding to the stop command from Alexa on Sonos. Playing a specific station, is playing it from TuneIn or your preferred radio source, such as iHeartRadio.

I'll let you know if we have any news on this issue.

I'm having the same issue but, for me, it seems to be specifically when listening to NPR. I've tried all of the "fixes" in the thread and the only one that seems to work is playing the specific station. I'm new to the Sonos world and am eager to build out my home system but these little, crazy annoying bugs make me pause at spending the money. The sound is great but the voice commands should f-ing work on a high-end device, amiright?

I have the same issue. I am able to start NPR using “alex play the news”, but not able to stop it. The only way I can get the speaker to stop playback is to say “alexa play spotify” and then “alex stop spotify”.

Hello @gerrib. Welcome to the community. Have you tried asking Alexa to “Stop ABC RN” in your command? Is so, what does she say? 

Are you using Alexa on a Sonos device, such as a Beam or Sonos One; or are you using Alexa on an Echo device?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Have you tried voicing the stop or pause command by saying..."Alexa stop (name of service here)" or "Alexa pause (name of service here)".

Let us know. Cheers!

Yes, I have tried that. Ineffective.

Can you please let us know if you have any success. 

Userlevel 7
Hi Disco Stu

OK...saying the name of the service doesn't help. Although the steps below may sound redundant in some respects there is a slight difference that I haven't seen in the other suggestions. Let's try this....

1. Log out of Alexa in the Sonos App
  2. Unplug your Beam
  3. Delete the Sonos app
  4. Disable the Sonos Skill in Alexa
  5. Log-out of the Alexa App
  6. Log into Alexa
  7. Enable the Sonos skill
  8. Power Cycle your device
  9. Reinstall the Sonos app
  10. Plug in your Beam and let it come back
  11. Enable Alexa in the Sonos app for your Beam
  12. Test your commands
Let us know how things sort out. Cheers!

Best option first is to Disable the Sonos Skill and then Enable it again in the Alexa App. If the problem persists, please power down the Beam for 5 secs and then power back on.

If the second option works, I suggest that you open the settings web page for your router and reserve the IP address for your Sonos devices. (I normally reserve the range 192.168.0.200 and above for my Sonos devices.)

This worked for me! Thanks / J

“Alexa stop“ just starting working for me again today. I haven’t changed anything!
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi Disco Stu

OK...saying the name of the service doesn't help. Although the steps below may sound redundant in some respects there is a slight difference that I haven't seen in the other suggestions. Let's try this....

1. Log out of Alexa in the Sonos App
  2. Unplug your Beam
  3. Delete the Sonos app
  4. Disable the Sonos Skill in Alexa
  5. Log-out of the Alexa App
  6. Log into Alexa
  7. Enable the Sonos skill
  8. Power Cycle your device
  9. Reinstall the Sonos app
  10. Plug in your Beam and let it come back
  11. Enable Alexa in the Sonos app for your Beam
  12. Test your commands
Let us know how things sort out. Cheers!

I tried to follow these instructions but there are issues with them as written:

At step 7, "Enable the Sonos skill," I tried to enable the Sonos skill in the Alexa app but it first drives me to Sonos.com which then tells me I must open the Sonos App, which was deleted in Step 3 and does not get reinstalled again until Step 9.

I had no choice but to reinstall the Sonos app when attempting to enable the Sonos skill in Alexa in Step 7.

Also, the Sonos app would not let me move forward with the Beam being unplugged, so I had to plug the Beam back in. After all of these little hiccups, I'm not entirely sure if the intent of your instructions were met but I accomplished what you asked in the only way the apps allowed me to do so.

There is no change. "Alexa Stop" is still ignored.