Answered

Alexa will not stop playing or pause

• 3 August 2019
  • 94 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

94 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Please see this article:  https://support.sonos.com/s/article/141?language=en_US

Badge

I’ve got the exact same problem. It used to work though, but all of a sudden Alexa is not stopping anymore. I tried “stop”, “pause”, “cancel” with and without room names: it just won’t work. I’ve received a new One and set it up in the dining room: it doesn’t work either. The beam attached to the TV also acts weird: it stops when I switch the TV off, but then starts playing the TV sound (with the TV off) 5 seconds later.

I tried all sorts of stuff: removing Alexa from all my Ones and from the Beam, deactivating the skill, etc. Still doesn’t work...

Badge

Thanks for your help UKMedia!! Really appreciate.

Ref. number: 1646197812

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for your help UKMedia!! Really appreciate.

Ref. number: 1646197812

No probs :) Sonos staff should investigate this pretty soon.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi 

Can you open the Sonos App>Settings>Services>Amazon Alexa and then select each product in turn and remove Alexa.  Power down each device and then repeat add this time add Alexa to each device.  Let us know how you get on.

hi Alex, I am using 2 Sonos Play One speakers. I have disabled Alexa on one and uninstalled and installed Alexa on the other.

Stop used to work. It works for timer still. I tried Stop ABC RN and Stop ABC Radio National but neither work. Alexa says playing ABC RN on Tunein Radio app when I give the command.

Badge

Using the Sonos app on my iPhone, I went into Settings/Services/Voice and removed Alexa from all devices. I powered off my 3 One’s (2 of them are paired), my Beam and 2 Play:1’s paired for 5:1, my Bridge and my Connect. I closed the app, powered on all the devices, opened the app and added Alexa back to the Beam, the paired One’s and the other One. And … it still doesn’t work.

Badge

Got worse for me: Alexa won’t play music either now… this happened after I submitted my diagnostics.

Will Sonos get in touch on this forum?

Got worse for me: Alexa won’t play music either now… this happened after I submitted my diagnostics.

You have to post the reference number here for them to get back to you.

Badge

I have, 2 days ago. How long does it usually take them to get back to customers?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi there,

I took a look at your diagnostic report but the reason for this issue is still unclear. I don’t see any obvious errors which would explain it. I think it would be best to troubleshoot this live with our phone team. Please call us up, our number’s here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hmmm. If you ask Alexa, what is the time? Does she answer correctly?

Badge

Ok, will do

Badge

Yes

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I wonder if this is a duplicate IP address issue. Can you power down these devices, allowing to boot before moving to the next:

- Router

- Any wired network devices

- Any wired Sonos devices

- Any other Sonos devices

- All other network attached devices.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
For your second question:
A Sonos device (or in your case a set of bonded devices) has the name you’ve given it. So “Living room” sounds plausible, especially when you connect Sonos with Alexa.
Identical problem using Alexa (via sonos and via echo) to control spotify. So strange!
Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Yes, raised a ticket with technical support and this is now resolved. Deactivated the skill after removing Alexa from the Sonos One. Reenabled both and it now workd

I’m having similar problem - playing a playlist from Apple Music on my Sonos One and it won’t respond to anything; tried pause, stop, set volume to 1, turn it down, turn it up... 

please confirm which technical support you raised this with? Sonos or Alexa? 
I will do the same and post any updates I get. 

It was with Sonos

Userlevel 1
Badge
Best option first is to Disable the Sonos Skill and then Enable it again in the Alexa App. If the problem persists, please power down the Beam for 5 secs and then power back on.

If the second option works, I suggest that you open the settings web page for your router and reserve the IP address for your Sonos devices. (I normally reserve the range 192.168.0.200 and above for my Sonos devices.)

I've done this twice now. In the Sonos app, under "Voice Services," I selected "Amazon Alexa" and then "Remove Alexa."

I then verified this by saying "Alexa" with no response from the Sonos. I then depowred the Beam for two minutes and repowered.

I then selected "Add a Voice Service" in the Sonos app, which took me to the Alexa app. I added Alexa and the same problem persists.

For your second question:
A Sonos device (or in your case a set of bonded devices) has the name you’ve given it. So “Living room” sounds plausible, especially when you connect Sonos with Alexa.

Okay, thank you.

Hello everyone. We are aware of this issue and are working with Amazon on implementing a fix. As a workaround, if you specify the radio station, in this case NPR, Alexa should complete the command. For example, saying “Alexa, Stop (Name of the NPR station)” should stop the music. Let me know how this works out. 

I too have this same issue. Started this week after working fine for months. Alexa pause and stop commands no longer work for Spotify on Sonos One. Did anyone successfully fix?
Badge
All seems like it’s working again now. Yay!
Badge

Having the same issue - appeared out of nowhere. 

“Alexa Cancel” does NOT work for me, nor does “Alexa Stop” or “Alexa Pause”, but “Alexa Pause MUSIC” or “Alexa Stop MUSIC” does work. 

Maddening how things that once worked flawlessly can seemingly spontaneously malfunction. 

All seems like it’s working again now. Yay!
Yep it seems mine is also.
Alexa now no longer accepts cancel to stop the music but it does now accept stop instead.
Id love to know what caused the issue
Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Yes, raised a ticket with technical support and this is now resolved. Deactivated the skill after removing Alexa from the Sonos One. Reenabled both and it now workd