Answered

Alexa voice assist stops working S2

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

68 replies

[SOLVED]

This morning I successfully pulled my Sonos ONE back into Alexa. It looks like the 12.0.1 release fixes the issue. But, there is a catch: the 12.0.1 update will not come install if you were an early adopter of S2 via SONOS. Here are the symptoms and the fix:

• Within the SONOS app, you go to System - About My System and you will see you are running Version 12.0
  • If you go to System - System Updates and check for updates, the SONOS app will indicate there is an update and take you to the app store. There you will see the version is 12.0.1.
  • The app store WILL NOT give you the option to install or upgrade as it “thinks” you already have the upgraded versions (12.01)...but you don’t.
  • Uninstall the app from your device and then go back to the app store and install the app store-version. Once complete, check the System-About My System and you will see it now says Version 12.0.1.
  • Now go and add the Alexa assistant back to your devices and you should not longer get the dreaded unable to connect to Alexa error.

Give this process a shot and see if you have the same success. Go luck!

Badge

12.0.1 UPDATE

Updated my system to 12.0.1 this morning after seeing iOS updates for S2 and Alexa apps.

Upgrade was fine but I had to reboot my router for the broadcast to behave correctly on half the system.

However I did notice that my original issue returned where Alexa was reporting to play music on Sonos, but no request was being received by the Play:1 and no audio… I feared the problem was back, but I resolved the issue much easier this time by disabling then re-enabling the Sonos device from within the Alexa app.

Userlevel 1

You cant link two accounts to one alexa

Badge

Urgh.

If you use gmail, maybe you could have two accounts? Gmail doesn't consider the period in an email address, so first.last@gmail.com is the same as  firstlast@gmail.com - I’ve used it to have 2 accounts use the same email address before.

S1 on one sonos account, S2 on the other, both linked to the same Alexa account.

Apologies if you’re not using gmail!

Yes, I have some devices that are not compatible so I have no option but to have the s1 and the s2.  Now something that worked is completely broken and does not talk to each other. Feels like been back to 1995 and  having a mac write  and word perfect document....

Userlevel 1

Yes, I have some devices that are not compatible so I have no option but to have the s1 and the s2.  Now something that worked is completely broken and does not talk to each other. Feels like been back to 1995 and  having a mac write  and word perfect document....

Badge

Ah, I see.

Can you not factory reset your S1 devices then add them to your S2 setup? Or do you have S1 devices that are incompatible with S2?

I am afraid that it does not work. If you have s1 ecosystems and an S2 at the same time under the same account, you are stuck to the S1. It does not matter how you do it  but you will not be able to change it and repoint it to the s2 ecosystem

Userlevel 1

@agarciat it started working again for me yesterday:

1. Enable the Sonos skill and do the account linking via the alexa web app first; alexa.amazon.co.uk
  2. Add the alexa voice service in the S2 controller mobile app

I am afraid that it does not work. If you have s1 ecosystems and an S2 at the same time under the same account, you are stuck to the S1. It does not matter how you do it  but you will not be able to change it and repoint it to the s2 ecosystem

Badge

@d2iguy there are S2 versions of the controller for OSX I am certain (as I use a Mac) for windows, let me check…

Windows

Mac

The issues are still persistent here in the U.S. Sonos has been very quiet about the issue or a resolution. A few people here mentioned using the PC software for upgrades and getting the Alexa piece operational. To my knowledge there is no v2.0 version of the PC software available. I am pretty sure Sonos has stopped making the PC and Mac software at this point. Curious where others have found this software.

Badge

@agarciat it started working again for me yesterday:

1. Enable the Sonos skill and do the account linking via the alexa web app first; alexa.amazon.co.uk
  2. Add the alexa voice service in the S2 controller mobile app
Userlevel 1

having the same problem here. Anyone with a solution? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Good news for you. Note I’m french and I use alexa.amazon.fr… It really looks like a big server issue. 

Agree with you : I’m not ready to desactivate this skill !!

Thats what I was doing. Over alexa.amazon.de, though, because I am from germany.

Tried it yet again over alexa.amazon.co.uk, got redirected to alexa.amazon.de when I added the skill and continued with the whole authorizing from there as usual, but strangely enough it worked this time. 

Cannot imagine it is because I went to co.uk first, I suspect the server is still a bit unstable. And I will for sure not disable the skill and try adding it again to test it ;)

Badge

Good news for you. Do you think you do specific thing that explain it works now ??

I did everything exactly as I had done before, just this time it worked when I must have tried 50+ times before and got the above messages.

The support person on the phone did say they’d had a lot of calls about this.

I enabled and linked the skill via alexa.amazon.co.uk first, then I added the alexa voice service in the S2 app. After that, I tested that the One worked before setting a Play:1 as preferred speaker for my other Alexa enabled devices.

@Psykhe try the above, which worked for me yesterday

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hello, it works since yesterday evening for me too. Activation is ok by alexa.amazon web site then audio services in Sonos app. I suspect server issue...

No luck here so far.

It's just worked for me too- I added the skill through the desktop alexa site and then all just went smoothly...

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thank you for your feedback.I will try tonight when I will back from work. 

Badge

Good news for you. Do you think you do specific thing that explain it works now ??

I did everything exactly as I had done before, just this time it worked when I must have tried 50+ times before and got the above messages.

The support person on the phone did say they’d had a lot of calls about this.

I enabled and linked the skill via alexa.amazon.co.uk first, then I added the alexa voice service in the S2 app. After that, I tested that the One worked before setting a Play:1 as preferred speaker for my other Alexa enabled devices.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Badge

Good news. Just got my system linked and working as it was before.

Ironically, I was on hold with Sonos support at the time and I tried it via the browser and it linked!

Same here as well.
Also tried enabling Alex directly over the Alexa Web interface ( https://alexa.amazon.replacewithyourcountry ) when it didn’t work on the phone (Android 10;Pixel 3a).

No success there as well.

Background:

Updated to S2 at the 10th, no issues whatsoever, around 10 days later Alexa only plays 1 song and stops. Tried removing and enabling Alex again and eventually tried removing an adding the skill.
And since then I cannot enable it again. Like in the screenshot above “There was a problem adding Alexa”.

And, of course, I cannot link Speakers with Alexa, very likely due to it too.

Google Assistant works fine depending how you define “works”. Compared to Alexa the music playback capabilities of GA are ..well.. utterly horrible.

“Alexa, play some rock music" → “Ok, Rock playlist is playing from Amazon music”. *Music plays*

“Ok Google, play some rock music" → “Ok, Rock Music is playing from YT Music. .. I cannot find the requested content” *GA enabled speaker is flying through the window*

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi,

It seems to be a general issu (see: https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/unable-to-link-akexa-with-sonos-1-6843573)

I’m in the same cas as most people : if you unlink Alexa and Sonos, no way to relink.

Very frustrating.

I’ve open a cas on twitter support and support ask me some try : ungroup all speaker, wire speaker directly on router without result. 

I suspect software issu and I’m really sure there is a big problem between Sonos and Alexa Sonos skill.

Badge

Very similar situation here. Short story is I can’t enable the sonos skill in the alexa app, or add alexa as a voice service from the sonos app.

I have 4 x Play:1 and 1 x One (1st gen). S2 upgrade was fine to begin with.

In one of the bedrooms we have an echo dot clock linked to the Play:1 in that room. Yesterday I noticed that Alexa was responding to commands to play music, but nothing was palying from the Play:1 as it usually would do. I checked the sonos app and it hadn’t recieved the request to play from Spotify, but if I tried to play the music from spotify or sonos app it worked fine.

I looked around online and saw that it could be due to linking authentication issues, so I did as instructed and unlinked the sonos and alexa etc.

Now I am in the same boat as most of you and seems like it is an S2 issue?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I live in Philippines , after Sonos S2 upgrade, Alexa/ Sonos doesn’t work anymore, is there a way to make it work again?

Add Voice Service is no longer available on my Sonos S2 App > System & Voice, cannot add any Voice Service at all