Alexa Multi-room Music / Audio Groups

• 25 November 2017
  • 64 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

64 replies

Ok - I’m thinking of a possible work around to group my home theater Sonos speakers with the amazon echos throughout my house. To group them all to play music simultaneously. Basically plug the echo dot audio output into the TV RCA audio input. Then using the TV set to the input it will convert the audio and feed through to the sonos soundbar. Basically the sonos is just a Slave to the grouped echo dot at that point and should play audio in synch with the other echos through out the house. Has anyone tried this method ?
I don't think it's a Sonos thing like previously stated. If that WAS the case, other brands would be able to do it too. Don't blame Sonos for something they cannot control. I have read more than one article that Amazon is in process of a new SDK that will allow this function sometime early this year.
It was a bummer but I knew it going in when purchasing my first Sonos, a Sonos One. With all these new "smart" devices coming out, integration between brands is key or you'll be left behind.
If you do your homework, you won't be disappointed later.
BTW, the sound well outweighs integration being a "deal breaker".
I was excited to get this as a Christmas present from my daughter and first time using SONOS speakers. However, now that I can't connect multi room music through Alexa, I'm returning it. have to admit, the sound is really good from the SONOS one.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos would rather you do multiroom with Sonos speakers I'm most certain.
I was excited to unbox my new speaker today. That quickly faded when I couldn't get it to work with my Echo and then read this thread. Considering returning it...
I personally don't need Echoes or Echo Dots to group with Sonos but agree that on giving Alexa the Sonos"skill", you'd expect to be able to. I certainly expected to be able to control Sonos grouping (fully) using an Echo Dot and "I can't play music on the group yet" is disappointing. The mos salient point I think is @Tomparks above - what is the point of having Alexa built-in to new Sonos speakers, if it still can't control grouping in the same way as the Sonos apps? There seems no incentive to add to or replace existing Sonos speakers with "Alexa" capable ones.
I am very disappointed with sonos1 for the fact that it doesn't have ALL the capabilities with Alexa as do the alexa dot's have. I don't understand that logic at all. for all the peeps out there that want to have sonos1 and be able to use alexa you will be disappointed because some of the features are not available. your getter off getting a alexa echo with distribute multiple dots throughout the house and take sonos1 out of the equation. I will be returning my sonos1 very soon. 😠
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I am very disappointed with sonos1 for the fact that it doesn't have ALL the capabilities with Alexa as do the alexa dot's have. I don't understand that logic at all. for all the peeps out there that want to have sonos1 and be able to use alexa you will be disappointed because some of the features are not available. your getter off getting a alexa echo with distribute multiple dots throughout the house and take sonos1 out of the equation. I will be returning my sonos1 very soon. :@

The Sonos One is an 'Alexa Enabled Device', Amazon impose some limitations on these compared to 'Alexa Devices'.
Multi-room play can work great if you have your sound network based on Sonos (not Echo). Go into the Sonos app and name one of your speakers "Sonos". Make sure this speaker "Sonos" is always in the speaker group you create on the Sonos App. Make sure Alexa has discovered all of your Songs speakers (whether Songs One or others) and then just ask Alexa "Alexa, play "whatever" on Sonos". Works like a charm. Music will play on all the Sonos grouped speakers if you ask Alexa to play on any one of them. I just named one of the Speakers "Sonos" to make the verbal command seem seamless. Cool!!
It's not Sonos who needs to fix it. Currently, there is no support for ANY 3rd party speakers in Alexa groups, Sonos or otherwise. Amazon is said to be working on a new SDK to address this which will be out in early 2018. Nothing Sonos can do about it.
Badge
I finally decided to purchase a couple of Echos, only to learn today through trial and error and this thread that you can't group them with Sonos speakers, including the ones with Alexa built-in. I, like others, thought that there was compatibility between Sonos and Alexa, not understanding that such compability is limited to the Sonos One. Unlike others on this thread, I'll be keeping my Sonos speakers with Alexa built in and returning the Echos. With the Sonos One, I can enjoy the excellent sound quality of Sonos and a whole-house music setup (I have Sonos speakers in every room) through the Sonos app. Through the Sonos Ones I can have Alexa where I want her to read me the news and weather and play selected music using voice command on whichever speakers I select through the Sonos app. Isn't that the best of both worlds? Why do I need an Echo? I will be buying two more Sonos Ones to put where I was planning to put the Echos. The sound quality is way better on a Sonos. If Amazon wants me to buy-in to the Echo concept, they're going to have to offer more.
Badge
Even Sonos seems to be confused on this issue, so it's no wonder so many consumers are too. Check out this page, where it reads, "Sonos + Echo. Easily connect Alexa to your existing Sonos speakers using an Echo device." When you click on "Learn More", it takes you to an explanation of how to set-up Alexa on a Sonos One. https://www.sonos.com/en-us/alexa-on-sonos
Badge
Has anyone considered the Sonos Connect? It appears that you can connect an Echo directly to it and then use the Echo to control all your Sonos speakers. It's expensive, and only works with one Echo device. Doesn't seem like a better solution than a Sonos One, unless you need other features that the Connect offers.
This is very frustrating. If Sonos 1 had a line in (which it doesn’t) it would be much better to just connect a Echo Dot to it and voila. Better than Sonos One.
This is a major flaw. Sonos & Amazon need to get together and fix this. Extremely disappointing to not be able to play music throughout the house where i already have echo spot's and shows and also play the same thing in my living room. I assumed this would work when i bought this weekend given the advertising of alexa + sonos and how well they work together, this seems like a big caveat that should have been pointed out.

You assumed wrong. This is an Amazon thing, in that it was promised last year via the new AVS Multi-Room Music SDK slated for release early this year. It seems to have been delayed. Anyway, complaining about it here is useless, Amazon is who you wish to talk to.
@jgatie thats fine from a tech standpoint and I plan on also posting in Amazon forums, however, i don't think its wrong to post here too. Who is responsible for the alexa + sonos advertising? If the advertising is misleading then I think this is a caveat that should be more clearly expressed. Also, partners like Sonos can also put pressure on Amazon based on collective feedback of their customers.

You assumed wrong. This is an Amazon thing, in that it was promised last year via the new AVS Multi-Room Music SDK slated for release early this year. It seems to have been delayed. Anyway, complaining about it here is useless, Amazon is who you wish to talk to.

What a second, what feature are we talking about here? If you mean being able to place Sonos speakers in Amazon's groups, then yes, I believe that will eventually happen. If you mean Sonos speakers and Amazon echos playing in sync, I don't think that will ever happen.

I understand why people are confused by the advertising, but it's meant to illustrate that you can use Alexa to control Sonos, not that they can operate as one completely in sync system.

Honestly, I think that's the biggest problem with voice control technology these days. For something that supposed to be rather easy to use, it's become rather complex and difficult to understand how in works, how this interacts with that, and what you can and cannot do with what you have.

What a second, what feature are we talking about here? If you mean being able to place Sonos speakers in Amazon's groups, then yes, I believe that will eventually happen. If you mean Sonos speakers and Amazon echos playing in sync, I don't think that will ever happen.

I understand why people are confused by the advertising, but it's meant to illustrate that you can use Alexa to control Sonos, not that they can operate as one completely in sync system.

Honestly, I think that's the biggest problem with voice control technology these days. For something that supposed to be rather easy to use, it's become rather complex and difficult to understand how in works, how this interacts with that, and what you can and cannot do with what you have.

I agree, though in truth, it remains to be seen. The SDK mentioned has not been released, and it does have the syncing of 3rd party speakers with Echo devices in the description. We won't find out if Sonos can or will take advantage of that part of the SDK until it is released.
@jgatie thats fine from a tech standpoint and I plan on also posting in Amazon forums, however, i don't think its wrong to post here too. Who is responsible for the alexa + sonos advertising? If the advertising is misleading then I think this is a caveat that should be more clearly expressed. Also, partners like Sonos can also put pressure on Amazon based on collective feedback of their customers.

I have found none of the advertising as misleading. In this particular instance, could you point to anything specific that stated Sonos speakers will play in sync with Echos? Personally, I never expected that type of function at all, and wouldn't assume it was coming. It makes no financial sense for Sonos to allows you to buy a cheap Echo and sync it with Sonos, and the syncing methodologies are so different, I wouldn't think it technically possible either. The only reason I list it as possible is it was described in the write up for the SDK.
I always go by the simple fact that if it is not expressly stated, it probably isn't going to be there. Assuming anything is just setting oneself up for disappointment.
Badge
It works sort of https://en.community.sonos.com/advanced-setups-229000/combining-sonos-w-amazon-echo-for-multi-room-audio-6807285
Some of you missing the point!

I can understand that I will never be able to group Sonos 1, 5 bar etc with echos and that Sonos apps features won't work with echos. However, I would expect a Sonos with Alexa built in to be able to be an Alexa and to join an echo group of other echos or be a Sonos and controlled via the sonos app with sonos features. If I'm buying a speaker with Alexa built in, I expect to be an Alexa not feature limited version just so Sonos can add audio control to their speaker.

I was set to buy 6 Sonos Ones to replace Echo devices. However, I also have several other echos that will not get replaced for a while. If the Sonos One is not a full-blown Alexa with all the features, plus a Sonos, there is no reason for me to start replacing echos with Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Some of you missing the point!

I can understand that I will never be able to group Sonos 1, 5 bar etc with echos and that Sonos apps features won't work with echos. However, I would expect a Sonos with Alexa built in to be able to be an Alexa and to join an echo group of other echos or be a Sonos and controlled via the sonos app with sonos features. If I'm buying a speaker with Alexa built in, I expect to be an Alexa not feature limited version just so Sonos can add audio control to their speaker.

I was set to buy 6 Sonos Ones to replace Echo devices. However, I also have several other echos that will not get replaced for a while. If the Sonos One is not a full-blown Alexa with all the features, plus a Sonos, there is no reason for me to start replacing echos with Sonos.

My understanding is that only stand alone speakers can be included within an Alexa group and that no multi-room speakers are included.
I want it to have two personalities and be able to be an Alexa and have Alexa capabilities or a Sonos. I don't care if they don't cross. Forget music for now. It cannot do drop-in or messages, no reason to replace Echo's with these.
Multi-room play can work great if you have your sound network based on Sonos (not Echo). Go into the Sonos app and name one of your speakers "Sonos". Make sure this speaker "Sonos" is always in the speaker group you create on the Sonos App. Make sure Alexa has discovered all of your Songs speakers (whether Songs One or others) and then just ask Alexa "Alexa, play "whatever" on Sonos". Works like a charm. Music will play on all the Sonos grouped speakers if you ask Alexa to play on any one of them. I just named one of the Speakers "Sonos" to make the verbal command seem seamless. Cool!!