Alexa Multi-room Music / Audio Groups

• 25 November 2017
  • 64 replies

I have a new Sonos One that I am adding to home with 2 Echo devices. In the Alexa app I am trying to setup an Audio Group for multi-room music. However, the Sonos One does not show up as an available Echo device to add to the group. What is the trick for getting this to work? Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

64 replies

You can not group Sonos One with Echo devices as far as multiroom audio. Sonos One will only group with other Sonos units. I'm not even entirely sure about this. I have a home full of SONOS speakers, and if I can't figure out how to control them from my SONOS One's, I plan to upgrade to Apple Homepods as soon as they (1) offer bigger speakers or (2) allow me to control my SONOS speakers from one or more Homepods. Don't get me wrong -- I LOVE the sound quality of my SONOS system. I am just INCREDIBLY disappointed by the lack of clear support on basic setup issues like these. In the rare event that I have a problem with an Apple product, at least I can reach a human on the weekend. Let's go SONOS -- get it together. *sigh*
I just got a Sonos1 to add to my in-ceiling Sonos speakers and outdoor speakers. I went through setup in Alexa app to group speakers (I.e. multi-room music) via Smart Home > Add Group) and created two groups. So, SONOS in-ceiling “X” and new SONOS1 “Y” we’re grouped as “Z” (yes, I’m generalizing the name because posts like this last forever, and who’s to say 5 years from now hacking won’t be to the point where people are querying your IOT devices in your home by their name to hack into your house!). I thought I would be able to say to Alexa “Play Spotify/Amazon Music/Etc on Z,” but this doesn’t work. Alexa says “I can’t play music on the group yet.”

However, I can go into Sonos app, select the group “Z”, which did magically appear in Sonos app after creating in the Alexa App. At that point (interaction within the Sonos App), then if I say “Alexa, Play Spotify on X”, then Spotify is played on all speakers just selected within the Sonos app.

I know this probably doesn’t help those of you who are mixing Echo’s and Dots with Sonos, but maybe it will help looking into or setting up Sonos and the Play1 Alexa-enabled speaker (whose sound is FANTASTIC btw).

This was more helpful in addressing my problem -- inability to control other SONOS speakers with SONOS ONE -- than anything else SONOS or Amazon has published on the issue. The trick, apparently, was to go into Smart Home to setup the group. That said, it still doesn't work. *sigh* Here's how it plays out after the group (which consists of only SONOS speakers) is created:

Me: Alexa, play [INSERT SONG] on [INSERT NEW GROUP].
Alexa: I can't play music on the group yet. To play on your speaker, use the device name or setup multi-room music in the Alexa app.

So, basically, she's telling me she can't do what I'm asking unless I do what she's already asked me to do.

If SONOS doesn't fix this soon, I'm going to start replacing my SONOS speakers with Homepods. Here's to hoping Apple launches some bigger speakers soon.
It's not Sonos who needs to fix it. Currently, there is no support for ANY 3rd party speakers in Alexa groups, Sonos or otherwise. Amazon is said to be working on a new SDK to address this which will be out in early 2018. Nothing Sonos can do about it.
Badge
I finally decided to purchase a couple of Echos, only to learn today through trial and error and this thread that you can't group them with Sonos speakers, including the ones with Alexa built-in. I, like others, thought that there was compatibility between Sonos and Alexa, not understanding that such compability is limited to the Sonos One. Unlike others on this thread, I'll be keeping my Sonos speakers with Alexa built in and returning the Echos. With the Sonos One, I can enjoy the excellent sound quality of Sonos and a whole-house music setup (I have Sonos speakers in every room) through the Sonos app. Through the Sonos Ones I can have Alexa where I want her to read me the news and weather and play selected music using voice command on whichever speakers I select through the Sonos app. Isn't that the best of both worlds? Why do I need an Echo? I will be buying two more Sonos Ones to put where I was planning to put the Echos. The sound quality is way better on a Sonos. If Amazon wants me to buy-in to the Echo concept, they're going to have to offer more.
Badge
Even Sonos seems to be confused on this issue, so it's no wonder so many consumers are too. Check out this page, where it reads, "Sonos + Echo. Easily connect Alexa to your existing Sonos speakers using an Echo device." When you click on "Learn More", it takes you to an explanation of how to set-up Alexa on a Sonos One. https://www.sonos.com/en-us/alexa-on-sonos
Badge
Has anyone considered the Sonos Connect? It appears that you can connect an Echo directly to it and then use the Echo to control all your Sonos speakers. It's expensive, and only works with one Echo device. Doesn't seem like a better solution than a Sonos One, unless you need other features that the Connect offers.
Badge
I would love to see Sonos add preset groups under "Rooms"... Hopefully, that would allow Alexa to play "xxxx" in "yyyy" where yyyy is a preset group in the Sonos app. Doesn't help those intgrating Echo etc, but if it works it would allow choosing a group of Sonos speakers by name.

It would also reduce the grouping process in the Sonos app if you have a frequent grouping you like to use. Just set up the group and then you can pick that named group under Rooms and it automatically groups the speakers chosen.
This is very frustrating. If Sonos 1 had a line in (which it doesn’t) it would be much better to just connect a Echo Dot to it and voila. Better than Sonos One.
This is a major flaw. Sonos & Amazon need to get together and fix this. Extremely disappointing to not be able to play music throughout the house where i already have echo spot's and shows and also play the same thing in my living room. I assumed this would work when i bought this weekend given the advertising of alexa + sonos and how well they work together, this seems like a big caveat that should have been pointed out.
This is a major flaw. Sonos & Amazon need to get together and fix this. Extremely disappointing to not be able to play music throughout the house where i already have echo spot's and shows and also play the same thing in my living room. I assumed this would work when i bought this weekend given the advertising of alexa + sonos and how well they work together, this seems like a big caveat that should have been pointed out.

You assumed wrong. This is an Amazon thing, in that it was promised last year via the new AVS Multi-Room Music SDK slated for release early this year. It seems to have been delayed. Anyway, complaining about it here is useless, Amazon is who you wish to talk to.
@jgatie thats fine from a tech standpoint and I plan on also posting in Amazon forums, however, i don't think its wrong to post here too. Who is responsible for the alexa + sonos advertising? If the advertising is misleading then I think this is a caveat that should be more clearly expressed. Also, partners like Sonos can also put pressure on Amazon based on collective feedback of their customers.

You assumed wrong. This is an Amazon thing, in that it was promised last year via the new AVS Multi-Room Music SDK slated for release early this year. It seems to have been delayed. Anyway, complaining about it here is useless, Amazon is who you wish to talk to.

What a second, what feature are we talking about here? If you mean being able to place Sonos speakers in Amazon's groups, then yes, I believe that will eventually happen. If you mean Sonos speakers and Amazon echos playing in sync, I don't think that will ever happen.

I understand why people are confused by the advertising, but it's meant to illustrate that you can use Alexa to control Sonos, not that they can operate as one completely in sync system.

Honestly, I think that's the biggest problem with voice control technology these days. For something that supposed to be rather easy to use, it's become rather complex and difficult to understand how in works, how this interacts with that, and what you can and cannot do with what you have.

What a second, what feature are we talking about here? If you mean being able to place Sonos speakers in Amazon's groups, then yes, I believe that will eventually happen. If you mean Sonos speakers and Amazon echos playing in sync, I don't think that will ever happen.

I understand why people are confused by the advertising, but it's meant to illustrate that you can use Alexa to control Sonos, not that they can operate as one completely in sync system.

Honestly, I think that's the biggest problem with voice control technology these days. For something that supposed to be rather easy to use, it's become rather complex and difficult to understand how in works, how this interacts with that, and what you can and cannot do with what you have.

I agree, though in truth, it remains to be seen. The SDK mentioned has not been released, and it does have the syncing of 3rd party speakers with Echo devices in the description. We won't find out if Sonos can or will take advantage of that part of the SDK until it is released.
@jgatie thats fine from a tech standpoint and I plan on also posting in Amazon forums, however, i don't think its wrong to post here too. Who is responsible for the alexa + sonos advertising? If the advertising is misleading then I think this is a caveat that should be more clearly expressed. Also, partners like Sonos can also put pressure on Amazon based on collective feedback of their customers.

I have found none of the advertising as misleading. In this particular instance, could you point to anything specific that stated Sonos speakers will play in sync with Echos? Personally, I never expected that type of function at all, and wouldn't assume it was coming. It makes no financial sense for Sonos to allows you to buy a cheap Echo and sync it with Sonos, and the syncing methodologies are so different, I wouldn't think it technically possible either. The only reason I list it as possible is it was described in the write up for the SDK.
I would say that I am far from a tech genius, but having worked in the tech industry for too long, and had somewhat of a hobby for this stuff, I've learned not to assume anything when it comes to functionality of products. However, for those that aren't that versed in it (nor do they need to be), it kinda makes sense for them to assume some features are present that aren't explicitly stated, because there are things that work the way the user is assuming.

For example, an android phone has no issues making calls and texts to apple phone. A Bluetooth phone can communicate with a Bluetooth speaker. Computers on a wifi network can talk with each other. So, without any other outside knowledge, why wouldn't a person assume an Echo speaker with Alexa and Sonos speaker with Alexa be able to work together, when the both claim to be multiroom speakers? To someone who hasn't looked at it too closely, both 'speak the same language' so there is no reason they shouldn't work together, right?

Again, not at all trying to say people aren't smart or anything, just that assumptions are often on the level of knowledge about a subject. And those that know often can anticipate what assumptions are going to be by those that aren't as familiar on the subject matter. So describing/advertising a product to prevent inaccurate assumptions isn't always as easy as it appears.
I always go by the simple fact that if it is not expressly stated, it probably isn't going to be there. Assuming anything is just setting oneself up for disappointment.
Please add this feature, Sonos! I think if your products are using Amazon's Alexa they should have the same features as a normal Amazon Alexa Device. Just bought the Sonos One yesterday and now I'm bummed that I can't do multi-room music with my echo plus and dot...
Badge
It works sort of https://en.community.sonos.com/advanced-setups-229000/combining-sonos-w-amazon-echo-for-multi-room-audio-6807285
I can't wait for this feature to come out
Some of you missing the point!

I can understand that I will never be able to group Sonos 1, 5 bar etc with echos and that Sonos apps features won't work with echos. However, I would expect a Sonos with Alexa built in to be able to be an Alexa and to join an echo group of other echos or be a Sonos and controlled via the sonos app with sonos features. If I'm buying a speaker with Alexa built in, I expect to be an Alexa not feature limited version just so Sonos can add audio control to their speaker.

I was set to buy 6 Sonos Ones to replace Echo devices. However, I also have several other echos that will not get replaced for a while. If the Sonos One is not a full-blown Alexa with all the features, plus a Sonos, there is no reason for me to start replacing echos with Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Some of you missing the point!

I can understand that I will never be able to group Sonos 1, 5 bar etc with echos and that Sonos apps features won't work with echos. However, I would expect a Sonos with Alexa built in to be able to be an Alexa and to join an echo group of other echos or be a Sonos and controlled via the sonos app with sonos features. If I'm buying a speaker with Alexa built in, I expect to be an Alexa not feature limited version just so Sonos can add audio control to their speaker.

I was set to buy 6 Sonos Ones to replace Echo devices. However, I also have several other echos that will not get replaced for a while. If the Sonos One is not a full-blown Alexa with all the features, plus a Sonos, there is no reason for me to start replacing echos with Sonos.

My understanding is that only stand alone speakers can be included within an Alexa group and that no multi-room speakers are included.
I want it to have two personalities and be able to be an Alexa and have Alexa capabilities or a Sonos. I don't care if they don't cross. Forget music for now. It cannot do drop-in or messages, no reason to replace Echo's with these.
I really cant believe that Sonos isn't supported in Alexa App as a MultiRoom device.
Effectively Sonos isn't Alexa Compatible.
Amazon have released SDKs for.
The Sonos kit I have bought is going back.
Sonos if you don't get your act together, when the Amazon HiFi system / speakers comes out you will massively loose out.
Multi-room play can work great if you have your sound network based on Sonos (not Echo). Go into the Sonos app and name one of your speakers "Sonos". Make sure this speaker "Sonos" is always in the speaker group you create on the Sonos App. Make sure Alexa has discovered all of your Songs speakers (whether Songs One or others) and then just ask Alexa "Alexa, play "whatever" on Sonos". Works like a charm. Music will play on all the Sonos grouped speakers if you ask Alexa to play on any one of them. I just named one of the Speakers "Sonos" to make the verbal command seem seamless. Cool!!
This used to work great and I did this all the time (made a group in Sonos and told Alexa to play music on any speaker in the group and the whole group played). Suddenly this stopped working. Now Alexa ungroups the Sonos groups when you direct music to one speaker. Ugh!!!!!!