Alexa in canada

• 8 November 2017
  • 57 replies

Userlevel 2
When will Alexa be available in Canada?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 27 February 2018, 18:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

57 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Indeed. How about an update on when this will work in Canada.
Yes! I bought Amazon instead of Goolge home for this feature. If this already works in the US then what is the hold up?
Yes! I bought Amazon instead of Goolge home for this feature. If this already works in the US then what is the hold up?

The holdup is they have to integrate and test the Sonos cloud with the Amazon cloud in Canada and prepare for millions of new possible users. It is an infrastructure thing. It's not a simple matter of flipping a switch.
The responses are nonsense. I can take my sonos one to the US and it works as advertised but, in Canada they require additional engineering? Also, it is Alexa compatible but Amazon music is not one of the streaming services offered. I have never been more disappointed in a piece of technology.
The responses are nonsense. I can take my sonos one to the US and it works as advertised but, in Canada they require additional engineering? Also, it is Alexa compatible but Amazon music is not one of the streaming services offered. I have never been more disappointed in a piece of technology.

Yes. The infrastructure to connect the Sonos cloud to the Amazon Canada cloud, and the ability to support the potential of hundreds of thousands of more users on that infrastructure requires more engineering.
Again I call nonsense. Amazon voice has been up and running for months. It is not the infrastructure that is the barrier, it is the cost it the infrastructure. Sonos won't invest in Canada until there are "hundreds of thousands" of users.....so early 2018 ain't gonna happen

Yes. The infrastructure to connect the Sonos cloud to the Amazon Canada cloud, and the ability to support the potential of hundreds of thousands of more users on that infrastructure requires more engineering.

As always, your Sonos apologetics are hilarious and sad. There are an insignificant number of Sonos One users in Canada in comparison with the purchasers of the Amazon Echo and Echo Dot.

As always, your Sonos apologetics are hilarious and sad. There are an insignificant number of Sonos One users in Canada in comparison with the purchasers of the Amazon Echo and Echo Dot.

"As always" from someone with a single post? Very interesting .. .

The holdup is they have to integrate and test the Sonos cloud with the Amazon cloud in Canada and prepare for millions of new possible users. It is an infrastructure thing. It's not a simple matter of flipping a switch.

It won't be millions of new users. I would be surprised if the total number of Sonos One systems in Canada even gets into six figures. (It wasn't being widely sold by Amazon or Best Buy before Christmas, I went into Best Buy and they had only Play:1 available) And they wouldn't all be using Alexa at same time.

Currently on Amazon.ca, the Sonos Play:1 is still outselling the Sonos One, but the Echo is outselling them both, so I don't buy that it's a capacity issue. This is 100% on Sonos and it's very disappointing.

It won't be millions of new users. I would be surprised if the total number of Sonos One systems in Canada even gets into six figures. (It wasn't being widely sold by Amazon or Best Buy before Christmas, I went into Best Buy and they had only Play:1 available) And they wouldn't all be using Alexa at same time.

Currently on Amazon.ca, the Sonos Play:1 is still outselling the Sonos One, but the Echo is outselling them both, so I don't buy that it's a capacity issue. This is 100% on Sonos and it's very disappointing.

The skill works for all Sonos devices if you own an Echo or other Alexa controller. It is not limited to just the Sonos One.

The skill works for all Sonos devices if you own an Echo or other Alexa controller. It is not limited to just the Sonos One.

And that still won't add up to millions of users.

I'm sure Amazon have done their research on Alexa usage in Canada (including any potential load generated by 3rd party integrations) and have scaled their infrastructure appropriately.
It's not just Amazon's infrastructure. The Sonos/Alexa partnership requires both an Alexa and a Sonos cloud infrastructure. As has been explained by Sonos reps it is not just a matter of flipping a switch, there is some additional engineering that needs to take place. So have some patience. There is obviously a legitimate explanation, unless you are claiming they would willingly withhold the feature just because they hate Canadians or something?
Badge +1
I’m in Canada and my Sonos One is currently playing my Spotify discover weekly playlist via voice command.
It’s not that hard to get working.
I strongly believe that the frustration demonstrated by SONOS users is that they love their SONOS devices and are anxious to take the experience to the next level. I have six players and I myself can't wait to get Alexa rocking. People want a more concrete ETA than just early 2018. With January gone and the frustration from the SONOS community, SONOS brass should come out with an update. Still on track for 1st quarter delivery or come out with the truth that they are experiencing challenges and a realistic delivery is more likely to happen on XXX date. Just be truthful with the customer's that put you on the map.
Sonos rarely gives out firm dates. Asking for them is a lesson in futility. Call it what you will, it has never changed the policy in the past, and it likely will not in the future.
Not asking for a firm date and I haven't called it anything. Just a simple hey folks, we are still on track for early 2018 delivery or we are experiencing unforeseen challenges which will most likely bring the delivery date closer to Q2. Just talk to your customer. How simple of a concept is that??????
Still on track for 1st quarter delivery or come out with the truth that they are experiencing challenges and a realistic delivery is more likely to happen on XXX date.

Not asking for a firm date and I haven't called it anything.

:8
Touché..
Sadly, this "early 2018" date is in the same heap as Sonos saying for the last several years that they're working on a wireless model (i.e. battery speaker) to take outside. They boast a wireless system but it's not wireless at all when it has to be tethered to the nearest wall plug. And I and many others have asked about the battery model and just get a "we're working on it". Well guys, it's several years later and it's pretty clear you're not working on it at all and don't care about your users. Very sad. I agree with everyone else: "early 2018" is unacceptable. It's already past early 2018! Very disappointing.
Sonos has never once stated they are working on a "wireless model (i.e. battery speaker) to take outside". There was a rumor by a supposed ex-employee that they had worked on one then shelved it, but there has never been anything official from Sonos that they were or are working on such a unit. So I don't know who you were talking to, but they certainly not a Sonos representative.

And your definition of "early" needs work too.
Guess the CEO of Sonos who told me that was jest kiddin'.
Guess the CEO of Sonos who told me that was jest kiddin'.

Yeah, ok. :8
Ok. Am done waiting. Can't wait forever...Should have never bought the Sonos One I knew the skill wasn't working. Actually, Sonos shouldn't sell it until the Skill is enabled. Returning my unit to Amazon.
Sonos has never once stated they are working on a "wireless model (i.e. battery speaker) to take outside".

Spence kinda sorta hints at the possibility in this podcast, don’t remember where, maybe 40 minutes in.

https://www.recode.net/2018/2/2/16961978/sonos-patrick-spence-apple-homepod-alexa-virtual-assistants-too-embarrassed-swisher-goode-podcast
I bought 4 speakers on thanksgiving and Sonos is still working on CA skill for Alexa. Really? It February 2018.