Answered

Looks like we may lose our networked libraries with next big update? NAS drive?

Userlevel 1

I could be wrong on this but maybe someone on this list can answer it. You will need to know some basic info on my SONOS system so I posted below..

I mostly use my personal music library that is located on a solid state drive via my ethernet wifi connected network. I have a Apple Ethernet-wi-fi router that has an USB input on it. My SS drive with over 39,000 tracks on it (also my Apple itunes AKA Music drive) is connected to that same router. My SONOS components grab my music from that SS drive.

With this upcoming software update it sounds like I (anyone with a similar hook up) will lose access to their connected drives??? I will lose of all my own paid for music on that drive. So one questions since I’m not quite a computer nut is… Is the way I have my SS drive connected to the router via USB considered a NAS drive?? Will I lose access to that drive if I do the update? 

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 3 May 2024, 01:53

View original

56 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

What have you heard, to say we’re going to lose this feature? 

Userlevel 1
Hello,
We want to let you know that in the upcoming months, Sonos will no longer support streaming audio files from HTTP and SMB1 local music libraries on S2 products. Your privacy is important to us, and this feature is reliant on outdated technology that poses a security risk to your personal data.
However, there are still several ways you can stream stored audio files on Sonos:
Add your music library from any computer or network attached storage drive to Sonos. Learn more.
Move your audio files to a cloud locker, such as YouTube Music or Apple Music.  Learn more.
No action is required from you for this change, but we encourage you to add your preferred streaming services in the Sonos app for easy access to any non-stored audio content.
Thank you for listening,
The Sonos Team

From the various announcements/accounts/posts/articles that I’ve read online, it seems to me that in general terms, as long as the local library is being shared over the LAN using the SMB v2 (or higher) protocol, the local library tracks will still be accessible/playable in the new Sonos App, post May 7th.

My own NAS box shares supports those versions of the protocol, so I’m not expecting too much to change, but it seems the local library is not going to be searchable within the new App, (I’m presuming it’s going to be like the ‘new’ search in the current S2 App, but with no option to switch to the ‘classic’ search).

I’m slightly disappointed by not having the option to search my local NAS library, but presume I will still be able to playback from the library using my own .m3u playlists and be able to browse the library by Artist, Album etc. in which case, the changes will not affect me too much.

I do currently have the Plex/iBroadcast services too and my local library has been uploaded to Apple iCloud - so I think I should have plenty of options to playback ALL, one way, or another.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Thanks, @mediaplays. I don’t know if Sonos are sending that email in batches to customers, but I hadn’t seen it (or didn’t properly read it!). 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

I can see the need for a Sonos 3 app situation coming quite soon.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

As long as you can index your large (30k+) tracks on SMBV2 - Ken how many tracks do you have?

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Add your music library from any computer or network attached storage drive to Sonos. Learn more.

@mediaplays

I currently share my iTunes/Music.app folder to get everything into Sonos. At least going off what’s on that link, it sounds like that isn’t changing? Or maybe that’s an outdated article in which case a big eyeroll for Sonos to be linking users to it.

Either way, searching personal libraries seems to be gone in the new app update which isn’t too surprising given what “new search” was doing. This makes navigating your library practically impossible on mobile.

C’mon Sonos.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

As long as you can index your large (30k+) tracks on SMBV2 - Ken how many tracks do you have?

This is what I’d like to know, because I’ve had to force SMBV1 for ages to allow indexing. Both SMBV2 and V3 fail 😔 I think I have about 25K tracks, but haven’t checked for a while.

Userlevel 1

From the various announcements/accounts/posts/articles that I’ve read online, it seems to me that in general terms, as long as the local library is being shared over the LAN using the SMB v2 (or higher) protocol, the local library tracks will still be accessible/playable in the new Sonos App, post May 7th.

My own NAS box shares supports those versions of the protocol, so I’m not expecting too much to change, but it seems the local library is not going to be searchable within the new App, (I’m presuming it’s going to be like the ‘new’ search in the current S2 App, but with no option to switch to the ‘classic’ search).

I’m slightly disappointed by not having the option to search my local NAS library, but presume I will still be able to playback from the library using my own .m3u playlists and be able to browse the library by Artist, Album etc. in which case, the changes will not affect me too much.

I do currently have the Plex/iBroadcast services too and my local library has been uploaded to Apple iCloud - so I think I should have plenty of options to playback ALL, one way, or another.

doesn’t answer my question 

doesn’t answer my question 

What version of the SMB protocol is your library share using? - if you can ascertain that from your user-manual and can confirm it’s an SMBv2 or v3 share, then you should be good to go. If not, then the answer is ‘no, it likely will not work’.

Hope that assists.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

My WD My Book World dating from I think around 2010 seems to be still working post update, despite my new Windows 11 laptop telling me it can’t access it due to it using SMB v1. So possibly the restriction isn’t here yet?

I can’t find any settings in the NAS interface that suggests moving from v1 is a possibility. 

Assuming I will lose access I need to decide if I will get a new compatible NAS or rely on streaming and  accept airplay for local play back. Partly depends where Sonos gets to with adding features back into the new app - currently it’s not great for those with local libraries.

Userlevel 1

Sooo... They plan to goad everyone with private files to their Sonos cloud. And then they'll tell you that you have to pay to access your own files.

I have to sell my Sonos setup. 

Sooo... They plan to goad everyone with private files to their Sonos cloud. And then they'll tell you that you have to pay to access your own files.

I have to sell my Sonos setup. 

Can’t see that ever being the case - you would only need the index (text file) uploaded in any event and even that seems pointless - it’s not like anyone is looking for ‘remote’ access to their music? So your comment is not making too much sense to me as the users library is usually for local use. For remote services, everyone can use Plex, Emby, iBroadcast etc.

Userlevel 2
Badge

As of the last update I can confirm that I can no longer access over 100GB of music on my NAS at home. Thanks Sonos, thanks a fecking bunch. Now makes my 5 zone Sonos virtually worthless.

As of the last update I can confirm that I can no longer access over 100GB of music on my NAS at home. Thanks Sonos, thanks a fecking bunch. Now makes my 5 zone Sonos virtually worthless.

What sharing protocol are you using for the local library?

Userlevel 2
Badge

SMBv3

SMBv3

It should work, that’s if you had/have it wirking with your S2 App - unless you’ve perhaps exceeded other library  limitations. If the issue persists, you may need to speak with Sonos Support about it. Here is their link: 

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

Userlevel 2
Badge

SMBv3

It should work, that’s if you had/have it wirking with your S2 App - unless you’ve perhaps exceeded other library  limitations. If the issue persists, you may need to speak with Sonos Support about it. Here is their link: 

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

It worked just fine right up to the update. I have reverted back to the old version of the app for now.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Luckily I can access my files on the nas. Searching for music is horrible.

as in the previous releases you could search on album, artist etc and would get result from your nas and streaming services.

now I have only result from streaming services.

Not the way forward Sonos!

Its a huge step back this release, no more timers, no more sleep timer, and difficult to access local stored music. Local music can’t be searched by input only by scrolling….

Thanks sonos

Userlevel 2

When is this being fixed?  I can’t imagine the inability to search files the app can see on a persons LAN is intended? 

Userlevel 2
Badge

When is this being fixed?  I can’t imagine the inability to search files the app can see on a persons LAN is intended? 

It's mad, did Sonos really think people didn't use local libraries?

I have read elsewhere the "feature" will be added in future updates. Infuriating as it was already there!!

Userlevel 2

So the following note has been added to the SONOS support topic Use a NAS drive with Sonos

Sonos app version 80.0

This setting is not currently available in the Sonos app for iOS or Android, but it will return in a future update.

They are forcing the update, and there's no Music Library option in the system menu anymore. 

This is very frustrating. Very sloppy software development. Is complaining to support my only option to get this enabled again? 

So the following note has been added to the SONOS support topic Use a NAS drive with Sonos

Sonos app version 80.0

This setting is not currently available in the Sonos app for iOS or Android, but it will return in a future update.

They are forcing the update, and there's no Music Library option in the system menu anymore. 

This is very frustrating. Very sloppy software development. Is complaining to support my only option to get this enabled again? 

It’s because that prior to the new App launch, Sonos announced that the (considered) insecure ‘http’ (sonoslibrary service) and SMB v1 protocols were to be removed from the new App. Only SMB v2 (or higher) is supported, going forward. In accordance with that indexing/updates have been removed to cater for those changes but will be restored to the App at a later stage. 

The other ‘local-library’ gripe surrounds the fact that the previous software (Sonos S2 App) had two different search features. The ‘Classic Search’ and the ‘New Sonos Search’. The local library search was in the older ‘Classic Search’ and the new Sonos App only contains the ‘New Sonos Search’ feature, so that’s why it’s not available.

It’s not yet clear either, if Sonos plan to add the library search to their latest App, as their development roadmap has not made that clear. It’s a case of waiting to see what happens.

In the case of my own local library I mostly use my own stored .m3u playlists, or I browse my library either by Artist and/or Album, so it’s not causing me too much difficulty. 

I also use Plex, iBroadcast and Emby services for my library with my Sonos speakers.

Other options are to maybe use 3rd party Apps (I use MusicStreamer on iOS, for example) with search functionality that supports either Airplay, Bluetooth or DLNA compatible protocols.

HTH. 👍

Three things have been lost local access to my mapped drives from an iTunes library. Secondly the alarms containing music from my iTunes library. Number three true play tuning which requires an iPhone. Clearly this is all under the pseudo double talk of technology and security issues when it all reflects sonos's failure to negotiate a new contract with Apple over licensing. The easiest way for Sonos to approach this was to break all internal Apple licensed pieces. Sadly this affects all Sonos users as these were all key elements that the user Community relied on. This is not a technical issue but a licensing issue between Sonos and Apple. I would await Sonos technical support to prove me wrong. Regards Peter beta tester

Userlevel 2
Badge

Sonos app version 80.0

It’s because that prior to the new App launch, Sonos announced that the (considered) insecure ‘http’ (sonoslibrary service) and SMB v1 protocols were to be removed from the new App. Only SMB v2 (or higher) is supported, going forward. In accordance with that indexing/updates have been removed to cater for those changes but will be restored to the App at a later stage. 

The other ‘local-library’ gripe surrounds the fact that the previous software (Sonos S2 App) had two different search features. The ‘Classic Search’ and the ‘New Sonos Search’. The local library search was in the older ‘Classic Search’ and the new Sonos App only contains the ‘New Sonos Search’ feature, so that’s why it’s not available.

It’s not yet clear either, if Sonos plan to add the library search to their latest App, as their development roadmap has not made that clear. It’s a case of waiting to see what happens.

In the case of my own local library I mostly use my own stored .m3u playlists, or I browse my library either by Artist and/or Album, so it’s not causing me too much difficulty. 

I also use Plex, iBroadcast and Emby services for my library with my Sonos speakers.

Other options are to maybe use 3rd party Apps (I use MusicStreamer on iOS, for example) with search functionality that supports either Airplay, Bluetooth or DLNA compatible protocols.

HTH. 👍

SMBv1 has been deprecated for years. However my NAS runs SMBv3 and I have lost access to everything. Worked just fine in the last version of the app so I have rolled back to that.