Question

Dual Mono on new Sonos App

Userlevel 1

I just upgraded to the new Sonos App and the dual mono setting for the two Amps I run is missing.  I used this setting for single ceiling speakers in different rooms.  This has to be brought back, I can’t have the right channel playing in one room and the left in another.

8 replies

If you have another controller that has not yet been updated, I suggest that you refrain from updating that controller and that you disable automatic updates. You should also disable automatic updates in the App stores.

Until SONOS fixes this, you can use the older controllers to select Mono.

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the suggestions Buzz but I already knew that and held off updating the app on my iPad and wife’s iPhone.  It’s just disappointing that Sonos would remove such a basic and useful feature.  Hopefully they will add this back in the next update, it’s a deal killer for me.

Please tell me Sonos plans to fix this

Huge problem, agreed. Just realized that not only did the toggle go away but the amp was flipped to stereo during the update so I can’t revert. Need a fix

Userlevel 1

Yeah this basically kills outdoor setups. Bring the feature back. 

So dumb. New app is lame, no reason to update the old one. And yeah, dual mono disappeared…why? Like they had to remove something?!?!? ADD something useful! The app is not intuitive. It’s slower (by a LOT!). “Main menu” page is dumb. It was fiiiiiiiiiine. Update for the sake of an update that was totally unnecessary and is worse not better. 

The whole app experience has been disappointing. The upgrade forced me to update each device individually. 

And I’m in the same dilemma with Dual Mono -- what sense did it make to remove that? It’s not as if the app changed the way the device handled a load.

Just crap.

Luckily found an old phone that didn’t have auto updates applied to the old app loaded and connected AFTER I got all the stuff I have (that had been dropping out for WEEEEEEKS with no explanation from Sonos other than network BS - since it had been running unscathed for months) added back in. 

when I looked at the old phone, sure enough the amps were in stereo but was able to switch back and adjust. Now they are doing what I need them to but I just can’t “see” it on the new app. Unless tomorrow I wake up and look And they revert 😂. 

only crummy thing is I can’t do ANYthing to the old phone / app (add services) cause it’ll force the update. 

soooooooooo. Great, but Sonos you’re blowing it. I’m an AV integrator with probably 100+ Sonos clients in systems from basic to elaborate (20+ ports / 10,000 sq-ft house distribution) and if their DEGRADED “updated upgrade” user experience starts to come back on us we won’t use going forward with Sonos products and in all likelihood start to systematically replace existing ones with C4 native or autonomic systems as both offer Spotify and Auto now has Apple Music natively. Honestly my only two reasons for using Sonos the past few years.